Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
26 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Well, the first third aside, June was woeful. And July isn't looking much better.

This year has certainly been challenging for me working my allotment. My greenhouse did nothing to compensate for the ridiculous number of April frosts. May was mostly cool and wet. Hot dry weather at the end of May into early June killed some of my seedlings whilst I was on holiday. As soon as I plant out my warm weather crops, we have one of the dullest, wettest, and sustained low daytime maxes spells of summer weather since probably 2012. My climbing French beans are growing well, but I don't know if that is because they have established themselves well or if they are desperate to find some decent light. The only good and surprising thing given the wet weather is slug damage has been very low so far, and I haven't got the dreaded potato blight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I had a feeling we would see a crap year weather wise sooner or later after the last 3 years. Imagine a year though where the summer solstice day is cooler than the previous winter solstice day.. probably the most depressing individual stat you could imagine. That simply tells it all of this horrendous year. So astoundingly boring too. No days of 30c yet, and no proper storms yet, a couple of showers with a rumble at best. 

I swear that Northeasterlies here have almost became so common, that the south westerly is no longer the prevailing direction here in the east. They are the very reason why we have been so cool. Relentless, abysmal NE wind off a cold North Sea all year!! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted

So interesting how the experience has been so different further north and west- a good June here with a very sunny first half and dry throughout. 21 days above 20C here by day during June. Even the second half of the month had some sunny days here.

• Like 2

Posted

To wish for protracted heat in the summer,in the U.K. in these ‘climate change’ times,is to root for the bad guy.I for one wallow in average and normal weather.

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

So interesting how the experience has been so different further north and west- a good June here with a very sunny first half and dry throughout. 21 days above 20C here by day during June. Even the second half of the month had some sunny days here.

Its been a very split month down in the SE, the firsty half was pretty decent even if the last few days of that section did go downhill. The second half has been pretty poor, probably similar hours of sunshine as you'd see in the winter I suspect in parts of the SE. Also been very wet though probably localised extreme totals rather than across the board.

Sadly the last 10 days have been so terrible that its rather overshadowed the good start to the month.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Being drier it’s not been as bad up here but it has been relatively mediocre. I’ll remember it as a ‘nice’ summer month that was a bit warmer, drier and sunnier than average but which was quite oppressive at night early on. Completely unexceptional and I’m glad the CET eventually reflected that.

Also happy with my summer thoughts thus far since I predicted the warm periods of the summer would be early June and late July with a poor August. June did end up quite a bit warmer than expected because of the degree in the first half but it looks like mid-June to mid-July should fit the cool, wet bill.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

Do we have the 30C dates for each summer since 2012 as we must be in with a chance of the latest date.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

My dull observation (and probably wrong).

June 2021 is the first UK summer month since Aug 2017 where 30 degrees has not been reached anywhere in the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, MildCarlilse said:

To wish for protracted heat in the summer,in the U.K. in these ‘climate change’ times,is to root for the bad guy.I for one wallow in average and normal weather.

Fortunately, we don’t live in Narnia and what we wish for has absolutely sod all impact on what the weather actually does

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, al78 said:

This year has certainly been challenging for me working my allotment. My greenhouse did nothing to compensate for the ridiculous number of April frosts. May was mostly cool and wet. Hot dry weather at the end of May into early June killed some of my seedlings whilst I was on holiday. As soon as I plant out my warm weather crops, we have one of the dullest, wettest, and sustained low daytime maxes spells of summer weather since probably 2012. My climbing French beans are growing well, but I don't know if that is because they have established themselves well or if they are desperate to find some decent light. The only good and surprising thing given the wet weather is slug damage has been very low so far, and I haven't got the dreaded potato blight.

Some of the old-timers on my old allotment site would use those little paraffin heaters in their greenhouses when frost was forecast. Even a couple of simple candles/tea lights work well at keeping the temperature slightly raised, but it does mean having to go every evening before frost is forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
6 hours ago, Alderc said:

I think the only thing with that is as 13C (and probably anything under 16C) is only possible down here in summer under  heavy cloud cover and usually continuous rain so tbh the comment about the sun is almost completely irrelevant. 13C is cold at any time of the year whether it’s 8C under average at the end of June or 4C above average in December. 

I disagree about 13°C feeling cold in December. Such a temperature in December would feel pretty balmy after a cold snap. When it was 13°C and clear blue skies in February 2019 it felt far from cold. But each to their own.

3 hours ago, al78 said:

Very likely to happen? How many times has it happened in the last 100 years?

If you are looking at monthly averages, a record cold June will be warmer than a record mild December, but it was a comparison on specific days that was made, and it is daft to have a winter solstice day warmer than the following summer solstice day and I suspect it isn't very likely at all. More likely would be to compare the coolest June day with the mildest previous December day and find the June day is cooler.

The climate isn't seasonless, but long periods of an individual year can seem like that. A wet autumn followed by a mild winter will give almost six months of the same weather.

I meant it’s very likely to happen that you get a day in June that is colder than a day in the previous December in our climate. I know what you mean about the feeling of seasonless. Autumn 2019 (cool and wet) and Winter 2019/20 (mild and wet) just felt like one long November.

14 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Amazing day here again.. .. (i know already said it earlier )

Yeah it’s nice here too. Clear blue skies, not too hot, gentle breeze. What’s not to like?

11 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

My dull observation (and probably wrong).

June 2021 is the first UK summer month since Aug 2017 where 30 degrees has not been reached anywhere in the UK.

I wonder if we can go the whole summer without reaching 30°C... That would be remarkable! I wonder when that last happened?

6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Fortunately, we don’t live in Narnia and what we wish for has absolutely sod all impact on what the weather actually does

Thank goodness that’s the case. Can you imagine if one person was given the job of controlling the weather? If Markyo was in charge we’d have crappy summers every year and -10°C every day in winter. If someone like Alder C or Never Screamer was in charge we’d all have to suffer with 35°C everyday.

• Like 3

Posted

I’ll remember this month as having a cracking start but then the second half being much more disappointing due to cloud. The month has been very dry here and temperatures have been perfect but the one letdown has been the sunshine ie lack of it, Especially given how dry it is. There were many days when I looked at the clouds and wonder why was it cloudy when it was so dry? Why wasn’t the sun shining?

It’s also been one of the most boring summer months I can ever remember. No thunderstorms, no heatwaves, no washout days. Just a mixture of cloudy and sunny days with temperatures in the high teens/low 20s most days.

I’ll remember this month as a pleasant but benign and rather forgettable month. I don’t think many of us will remember this June for years to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Despite my moan earlier, it *is* a very nice day today, and probably will be tomorrow. Warmth and sunshine with a nice breeze. The problem is, we're feeding on scraps like today currently between the ongoing trough-fest, and the really nice days aren't falling on the weekends when many of us could actually make good use of them.

Edited by Lance M
Typo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
23 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I wonder if we can go the whole summer without reaching 30°C...  That would be remarkable! I wonder when that last happened?

Good question. Even the deluge summers of 2007 and 2012 managed to briefly scrape over the mark. 

I read somewhere that London averages 5 days per year of 30+ degrees. Last year we managed about 10 so a bit of rebalancing needed!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
30 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

My good Lord! I see a bit of blue sky ...!!

You can’t beat a bit of Bully!...I mean blue sky..super smashing etc etc...this is what you could have won..completely blue sky..  !...   

3DB0A4DF-E828-4D21-9D35-2B55D3391CEF.thumb.jpeg.c68f8ea75dd0b2789b75efe0ef8b6765.jpegAB734F4B-7BA6-417B-B934-B0A20870A062.thumb.png.abb7d844d8dfe419bdc9737105c93292.png

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Few shots taken in the nice day here, which one is the best would you say? 

IMG_20210701_135723.jpg

IMG_20210701_135708.jpg

IMG_20210701_135749.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A hot, sunny and dry June here. The first half was slightly average temperature-wise but the second half was very warm indeed. Many stations in Central and East Slovakia broke their record maxima for June, while in the west Bratislava-Koliba set a new national June record for consecutive tropical nights (20C and above), with six from 19-24th.

Sunshine at Bratislava Airport was about 380 hours and rainfall ended up around 12mm - Stupava (another nearby station) only managed 6.8mm. Despite an abundance of thundery activity in Central Europe there's been sod all here, which is unusual for the time of year. The only proper thunderstorm I've had so far this year was in April (and brought snow with it!).

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, AderynCoch said:

A hot, sunny and dry June here. The first half was slightly average temperature-wise but the second half was very warm indeed. Many stations in Central and East Slovakia broke their record maxima for June, while in the west Bratislava-Koliba set a new national June record for consecutive tropical nights (20C and above), with six from 19-26th.

Sunshine at Bratislava Airport was about 380 hours and rainfall ended up around 12mm - Stupava (another nearby station) only managed 6.8mm. Despite an abundance of thundery activity in Central Europe there's been sod all here, which is unusual for the time of year. The only proper thunderstorm I've had so far this year was in April (and brought snow with it!).

Ugh. You are welcome to it. Glad we don’t have summers like that in the UK.

Posted
Just now, weatherguru14 said:

Excellent June here... way better than last year..I expect July  to better than last year. to be fair it cant be any worse. It was dreadful last summer.  So all in all big thumbs up 

Yes I agree. Last July was dreadful. Only two days above 20°C! It can’t get any worse than that. Strangely though last summer wasn’t too bad in the south. Seems it’s the north’s turn to get the better weather this summer. Let’s be honest the south-east has done a lot better than the north in summer in recent years.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You can’t beat a bit of Bully!...I mean blue sky..super smashing etc etc...this is what you could have won..completely blue sky..  !...   

3DB0A4DF-E828-4D21-9D35-2B55D3391CEF.thumb.jpeg.c68f8ea75dd0b2789b75efe0ef8b6765.jpegAB734F4B-7BA6-417B-B934-B0A20870A062.thumb.png.abb7d844d8dfe419bdc9737105c93292.png

Us beggars on the South coast can't be choosers LOL! This is our new summer ... Heck I better send you a picture of it. It might not happen again for the next 6 months LOL ... It's got bigger too! *Pnar Pnar*!! I'm off to celebrate by emptying the dishwasher ... #Livin'itup!

1.jpg

• Like 2