Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Sum up month ahead forecast as start = cack  middle ==ok  end == cack .    Weather in this poxy island is just 4 seasons of the same old sh..te with varying degrees of temperature. It's a bl..dy nightmare trying to plan work outside. 

• Like 2

Posted

It feels very humid in London, and wouldn’t be surprised if we get a thunderstorm later, whether it’s forecast or not.

Apart from one day last week, where it was mostly warm dry and sunny, it’s been a cloud fest. Poor second half of June, and to come after the very poor May, I do wonder if the poor summer conditions will be a regular feature for summer 2021.

Anyway, at the very least we have the long daylight hours until mid august, but the lack of clear sunny days is something I’m missing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

Best way to find out what the weather is doing. Is to go outside and look.. no point in weather forecasters in the UK. 

Did a weather forecaster mug you or something? Your hatred of us is bizarre. I still get paid at the end of the month though, sorry

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
13 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Thing that gets me is that horrible high teens /low twenties temperature.  Its neither warm or cold. Please just either be 14c and chilly or proper warm and 27c.  

High teens/low twenties is a perfect temperature range for me. But if it is accompanied by cloudy nothingness (like it is today) then it's pointless. Doesn't matter if it's 14c and cloud, 20c and cloud or 27c and cloud, it's still rubbish (and a huge waste at this time of year when it's daylight for 17 hours (04:45 to 21:45 up here for late June).

20c and sun would be perfect for me, 27c and it would be too hot, especially in the sun, 14c might be okay in the sun but would feel really chilly in the shade. Mind you the sun is so strong at this time of year that if it comes out the temperature would be a lot higher than 14c.

6 hours ago, Alderc said:

The last ten days can now be considered pretty poor here, 55mm of rain, only two days have reached 21C (max 21.4C) and we've had a dreadful 36hrs of sun (of which 12hrs came in one day)

That's shocking for the south! That means you've averaged 5.5 mm of rain each day, and only averaged 3.6 hours of sun each day (out of a max of 16 possible hours in the south at this time of year). That's a mere 22% of possible sunshine. You know you've had it bad when you get more rain in mm than sun hours. Woeful.

Posted
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

The lack of sun the last 10 days or so is really starting to grate now. The start of the month feels like a distant memory.

I know this cloudy nothingness is so awful. It's like being under anti-cyclonic gloom in the winter. But in the summer it's worse because in the winter you expect it to be clear but in the summer you expect to see the Sun at least once in awhile. Such a shame to given how sunny it was at the beginning of the month. This summer is fast becoming one of the dreariest I can remember.

39 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It feels very humid in London, and wouldn’t be surprised if we get a thunderstorm later, whether it’s forecast or not.

Apart from one day last week, where it was mostly warm dry and sunny, it’s been a cloud fest. Poor second half of June, and to come after the very poor May, I do wonder if the poor summer conditions will be a regular feature for summer 2021.

Anyway, at the very least we have the long daylight hours until mid august, but the lack of clear sunny days is something I’m missing.

Pointless though having long daylight hours if it's just going to be a cloud fest. Nothing worse than a cloud fest in summer. I'd rather have a washout. At least it would be more interesting! But this constant cloud is really starting to drive me insane now.  Just give me a thunderstorm, a heavy downpour, something! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

24c down there? You serious? WWOW!

No joke, 25C now and still glorious. It's my personal station, well spaced from boundaries and correct surface conditions - might vary 1 or 2C from an official reading but my readings used to be pretty tight with Gosport Fleetlands Met Office station which seems to have disappeared this year.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Checked the BBC weather app and for the next three days the forecast is….. light cloud, light cloud and… You guessed it.. light cloud. Wow, I totally wasn't expecting that. ☁️☁️☁️

Still, it's not all bad. if you look at the individual days there are a few sunny spells forecast.  And there are a few days that are forecast to have "sunny intervals". I know that that probably means there will be 5 minutes of milky sunshine at 6 o'clock in the morning, but it's better than nothing. Temperatures are also comfortable around 19 to 22°C, so there is that as well. But it really does feel like living somewhere like Lima with the constant mild temps, complete absense of rain and constant cloud. ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

Still, at least it's better than somewhere like Torshavn...

The most boringness monotonous climate on earth. 6°C in winter, 13°C in summer, and only 800 hours of sunshine a year. Cloudiest place on earth (what a surprise it's right next to the UK!) I do not know how people live in a climate like that without losing their sanity. 

IMG_1788.PNG

IMG_1793.PNG

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Did a weather forecaster mug you or something? Your hatred of us is bizarre. I still get paid at the end of the month though, sorry

And the use of the word hate is a bit extreme? get paid for being wrong? cushy 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
30 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I know this cloudy nothingness is so awful. It's like being under anti-cyclonic gloom in the winter. But in the summer it's worse because in the winter you expect it to be clear but in the summer you expect to see the Sun at least once in awhile. Such a shame to given how sunny it was at the beginning of the month. This summer is fast becoming one of the dreariest I can remember.

Pointless though having long daylight hours if it's just going to be a cloud fest. Nothing worse than a cloud fest in summer. I'd rather have a washout. At least it would be more interesting! But this constant cloud is really starting to drive me insane now.  Just give me a thunderstorm, a heavy downpour, something! 

Sounds like last summer here in a nutshell. People thought I was mad in hoping for winter because I wouldn't have to look at 16-17 hours of cloud with the shorter daylight. This one 'til now has been distinctly average in Dublin in terms of sunshine, nothing like last year nor amazing like 2018. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

And the use of the word hate is a bit extreme? get paid for being wrong? cushy 

It's a great gig if you can get it. I'm professionally wrong. It's a well-known hobby of meteorologists that we love lying to people to the point of ranting on forums.

And as for "extreme", I'm not sure you'd be best pleased if I called whatever job you do as "pointless".

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's a great gig if you can get it. I'm professionally wrong. It's a well-known hobby of meteorologists that we love lying to people to the point of ranting on forums.

And as for "extreme", I'm not sure you'd be best pleased if I called whatever job you do as "pointless".

My original response was to someone saying how the a BBC weather man on the radio got the weather incorrect 3 hours earlier. 

No doubt one day a forecaster will say its only a shower. and then the  entire UK will be under 6 foot of water. 

I jest but i find it annoying how often  they get the weather wrong. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

A rather boring afternoon; no sun, no rain (albeit there was this morning), no wind, no thunderstorms. Just overcast nothingness and 14 Celsius. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
18 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

A rather boring afternoon; no sun, no rain (albeit there was this morning), no wind, no thunderstorms. Just overcast nothingness and 14 Celsius. 

Those conditions are the worst. Pleasant for November maybe, but rubbish in June. It's cloudy here too but at least it's reasonably warm at around 20°C. What's with all these 14°C daytime temps recently anyway? That's what you'd expect in an Orkney summer, not in England. 

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Nick L said:

So you admit that you get it wrong and deliberately lie to people (such as getting peoples hopes up and then changing the forecast at the last minute) yet take offence when someone calls your job pointless. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

They will get here eventually. Still have faith this summer will provide us with some storms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

It was only a bit of fun.. I wasnt being serious.. I know its not easy predicting the weather in the UK at all. 

Yeah and people shouldn't be blaming the forecasters as they are only monitering what the weather is doing, they should be blaming the ridiculous constant unpredictable climate we have!

To be fair a much better day here than expected, probably 6 or 7hrs of sun and a top temp of 21C. However outlook for the next ten days starting to look poor. After a desperately bad spring the first half of summer looks like being a 3 or 4 out of 10. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
10 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

I dont  know why people complain in the sense.. This is what happens to the UK. Blocked to the east with high pressure. Blocked to north with high pressure. The low pressures off the Atlantic have no place to go  but straight at us.. 

To be Fair this June for most of the northern part of the UK as been pretty decent., Theres  been a low stuck over northern  France  That's had no place to go  because of the blocking  further north in the UK. so the south has had to put up with it. Looks  like next week (if it happens) a low is gonna get trapped over the top of us. hopefully after that it will move things along and shift the whole pattern further north.. But how long that takes is anyones guess. 

Secondly the Met office has yet to change its update for the second week onwards for the weather to settle down for the UK 

Time will tell if thats accurate.. But lets face the face here. it takes a hell of a lot to get heatwaves in the UK. because they rarely happen. I just want a settled summer with a bit of warmth and a decent amount of sunshine. So far in my neck of the woods Its been that way. I do live in hope the second half of summer will be hot. Just got that feeling.. and anyway theres Still July August and September  

For those of us in the south the weather over the last fortnight has been very poor for the time of year, rather like that classic summer killer the stalled low pressure. For me personally, I don't wish for a heatwave. 21C and sunshine with occasional rain would suit me, which is close to average for SE England, not too much to hope for surely. Days and days of heavy overcast at the time of year when the daylight is at its maximum is tedious.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

So you admit that you get it wrong and deliberately lie to people (such as getting peoples hopes up and then changing the forecast at the last minute) yet take offence when someone calls your job pointless. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Please tell me this is a case where sarcasm/humour isn't translating well over text!

What a grim day though. Most excitement was some light rain at lunchtime.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Checked the BBC weather app and for the next three days the forecast is….. light cloud, light cloud and… You guessed it.. light cloud. Wow, I totally wasn't expecting that. ☁️☁️☁️

Still, it's not all bad. if you look at the individual days there are a few sunny spells forecast.  And there are a few days that are forecast to have "sunny intervals". I know that that probably means there will be 5 minutes of milky sunshine at 6 o'clock in the morning, but it's better than nothing. Temperatures are also comfortable around 19 to 22°C, so there is that as well. But it really does feel like living somewhere like Lima with the constant mild temps, complete absense of rain and constant cloud. ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

Still, at least it's better than somewhere like Torshavn...

The most boringness monotonous climate on earth. 6°C in winter, 13°C in summer, and only 800 hours of sunshine a year. Cloudiest place on earth (what a surprise it's right next to the UK!) I do not know how people live in a climate like that without losing their sanity. 

IMG_1788.PNG

IMG_1793.PNG

Torshavn would have some impressive windstorms in the autumn and winter, probably ones that make October 1987 look like a fresh breese. The Shetlands islands have a similar climate to the Faroes, cloudy, wet much of the year, and a  low annual range for its latitude. Slightly warmer in summer so not quite a sub-polar climate.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Alderc said:

To be fair a much better day here than expected, probably 6 or 7hrs of sun and a top temp of 21C. However outlook for the next ten days starting to look poor. After a desperately bad spring the first half of summer looks like being a 3 or 4 out of 10. 

Here in Horsham NE of you we had about 20 minutes of sun earllier this afternoon. Just as I am thinking of what time to go to the allotment this evening it has started raining, again. I am getting fed up of this anti weekday job weather regime.