Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Certainly better than I was expecting. Still its only 19C and pretty breezy.

I'm afraid us beggars can't be choosers mate 21c here. But when cloud comes over it does drop quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

We have a thunderstorm. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Josh Rubio said:

It’s ironic that we swelter through plumes which often deliver nothing, but have days which are much more comfortable, such as today, and it delivers a whole load of action out of nothing! 

my location often does better off flabby lows, like last June, certainly not plumes

Posted

Ths time of year where the weather forecasters keep promising and smirking how  things are looking positive and in reality its Mid July when we get 4 days of nice weather and the rest of time its desperate.  A bit of honesty wouldn't go amiss. 

It just seems to follow this pattern every year.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
36 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

my location often does better off flabby lows, like last June, certainly not plumes

Definitely a lot more chance of homegrown storms with those shallow lows.  Think our location does too especially with an easterly drift.

Pretty decent today at around 21C but looks like parts of NW England have had a shocker today.  Fortunes to be reversed again sun-wed..

Posted
51 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Definitely a lot more chance of homegrown storms with those shallow lows.  Think our location does too especially with an easterly drift.

Pretty decent today at around 21C but looks like parts of NW England have had a shocker today.  Fortunes to be reversed again sun-wed..

Yes a bit of a shocker here, a day more akin to October.

• Like 1

Posted

Definitely feels like October, chilly wind and temperature not exceeding 12c. Kinda reminds me of those deluge days back in June 2019. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 24/06/2021 at 23:47, East Lancs Rain said:

Gosh! I’m just glad we don’t get such destructive weather in the UK.

Ahem!

Not as bad as the worst experienced in other places in the world, but that is irrelevant if you are one of the poor sods on the receiving end of the worst of the UK's weather.

Posted
2 hours ago, Frigid said:

Definitely feels like October, chilly wind and temperature not exceeding 12c. Kinda reminds me of those deluge days back in June 2019. 

Feels pretty warm in London very muggy feel. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I think 2018 has skewed people's expectation of summer in the UK. That was a rare event...to have weeks and weeks of no rain at all is rare. 

This is the UK, not the Mediterranean. 

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I think 2018 has skewed people's expectation of summer in the UK. That was a rare event...to have weeks and weeks of no rain at all is rare. 

This is the UK, not the Mediterranean. 

Disagree, since 2013 we’ve had decent summers, most places in the south for July are averaging 2C above the LTA. Heathrow for example is averaging 25.5C even down here July over the last 8years has averaged 23.5C which is what London/Cambridge would normally expect. It’s not a one summer thing. 

Posted
39 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Disagree, since 2013 we’ve had decent summers, most places in the south for July are averaging 2C above the LTA. Heathrow for example is averaging 25.5C even down here July over the last 8years has averaged 23.5C which is what London/Cambridge would normally expect. It’s not a one summer thing. 

I suppose the point is whilst we have been getting higher maxes, etc, CC isn't wrong that to get synoptics like 2018 is rare, we basically had nearing 2 months of very minimal/trace amount of rain. Thats pretty exceptional.

Indeed we've been rather lucky in the last few years. 2018 had that long hot summer, 2019 had a record breaking heatwave, last summer had a nearing 2 week heatwave that was probably in the top 10 warmest of all time over a 2 week period, plus obviously that exceptional late Spring that felt like early summer anyways (in contrast to this spring feeling like extended winter). 

So if we end up with an average type summer (and of course, a bit early yet to call it that!) thats going to feel very poor compared to the blistering spells seen throughout the last 3 summers, even if in reality its not that bad on a longer historic average.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

After working outside for the best part of 38 years, the weather in this country is best described by one word,.. mediocre. I can count what could be described as good summers since 1976 the year I left school on the fingers of two hands.

Maybe others will disagree, but you tend to  remember crap years when they have cost you money. 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

After working outside for the best part of 38 years, the weather in this country is best described by one word,.. mediocre. I can count what could be described as good summers since 1976 the year I left school on the fingers of two hands.

Maybe others will disagree, but you tend to  remember crap years when they have cost you money. 

Yes 1985 the worse for me still harvesting spring barley in mid October and mouldy damp straw for bedding cattle all winter to the other extreme I think was 2003 when harvst all done and dusted by 11th of August with some days in the nineties even up here.   Had to bale straw in evenings as too dry to turn in round baler during the day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Bet those summer lovers living in Scotland are happy to see next weeks N/S split roadshow getting in full swing but with a clumsy topsy turvy twist.. Now they can spend a few days laughing at Londoners stuck in mid teens while its mid 20s scorching in glorious costa del Scotland.. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

@Praguebloke  This puts everything in perspective when we moan about UK weather. Devastating scenes, 5 dead but wouldn’t be surprised if that becomes many more

_119086465_czech1.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Five people are killed and at least 150 injured, with the worst-hit areas looking like a war zone.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
39 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Bet those summer lovers living in Scotland are happy to see next weeks N/S split roadshow getting in full swing but with a clumsy topsy turvy twist.. Now they can spend a few days laughing at Londoners stuck in mid teens while its mid 20s scorching in glorious costa del Scotland.. 

16 degrees here next 3 days, windy as well

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

16 degrees here next 3 days, windy as well

3C below what UK Met are forecasting for Stafford!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

We haven't been fried down here in the south this summer yet, which is very unusual.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

image.thumb.png.5c09aaab2c0f2a1da98bb21ac7a646f3.png Well then... I'm in for a soggy sunday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

The last hour here has been gorgeous. Stunning blue skies and lovely and warm in that sun, but now a veil of thick high cloud is pushing in. 

Edited by Lance M

Posted
8 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Another chilly day today, just 16-18C most of the afternoon and the rain getting closer! It’s a bit rubbish really. 

Conversely inland almost unbroken sunshine this afternoon and nudging 21c!