Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

ECM going for 44C around Abbotsford just inland from Vancouver 
image.thumb.png.18150e29a38aa65bee75b1bc960991f1.png
According to Wikipedia at least, their record high is 38C...

In contrast it may not get out of the 20's near the water in Vancouver.

ECM's highest for Portland also 44C, NWS going for 109F there which is 42.8C. I imagine forests going for the high 40's must be over-doing it a bit.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I can see July being a fairly average summer month this year, with any plumes holding back until August.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

going to be in Prince George next week ..will be hotter than there all time record by over 2c ..40c on Monday 41c on Tuesday..record is 38.9c set back in 1941

PG Temp.png

Ooooooof! I don’t envy you!

2 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Some ridiculous temperatures being forecast for the coming days. 47C in Kelowna, 45C in Kamloops, even 40C in Vancouver.

I’m just glad we don’t get such extreme and dangerous temperatures in the U.K.

2 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

In other news, Hungary recorded its first ever 40C in June today and the Czech Republic got hit by tornadoes. There was a pretty bad one in Hodonín:

Gosh! I’m just glad we don’t get such destructive weather in the UK. UK weather is very tame by global standards. Even the wildlife is tame. Nothing is extreme about the UK. Must be one of the few countries in the world to never have recorded 40°C.

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

One site I saw had a forecast for Portland in Oregon of 48C on Monday or Tuesday, the all time record is about 41.5C, crazy.. 

All these temperature records being broken across the world every summer is worrying.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Just the usual boring  grey cool crap in the UK. 

Don’t know about you but I’d rather have “boring grey cool crap” than unbearable 40°C+ temps and destructive tornados.

• Like 3

Posted

Why has everyone suddenly started talking about the summer weather/climate in other parts of the world anyway? Isn’t this supposed to be a U.K. forum?

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Frigid said:

I knows these temps may be somewhat exaggerated but, even with a few degrees below that still would be incredible.

image.thumb.png.f4418ae66cf644b458314cdfff39dd53.png

Why is Canada getting such dangerously hot temperatures at the moment? Excuse my ignorance but aren’t they supposed to be a cold country?

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
44 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I can see July being a fairly average summer month this year, with any plumes holding back until August.

Hope so. Those 20°C upper airs can stay away!

• Like 3

Posted
1200px-Chatham_Islands_from_space_ISS005
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG
1200px-Franklin_Wharf_2015.jpg
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG
1200px-Wellington_NZ-cablecar-topview.jp
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Here are my favourite climates for comfortable summers and year-round mild weather. Bet there will be lots of people on here that won’t agree....

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Why is Canada getting such dangerously hot temperatures at the moment? Excuse my ignorance but aren’t they supposed to be a cold country?

Yes and no, parts of British Columbia having surprisingly warm summer, the town referred to here averages well over 30C in July (and most of summer) but this just looks exceptional. 

6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Why has everyone suddenly started talking about the summer weather/climate in other parts of the world anyway? Isn’t this supposed to be a U.K. forum?

Because everyone is trapped here, unable really to travel due to restrictions  and days on end of 15-20C cloud and rain isn’t cutting it knowing come another 9-10weeks it’ll be another 7-8months of cold & dark weather.

Meanwhile back here it’s a miserable 14C and raining again..model output looks far from great in the south and FI effectively begins at T96hrs 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
5 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Meanwhile back here it’s a miserable 14C and raining again..model output looks far from great in the south and FI effectively begins at T96hrs 

I can beat that!  Only 13C here and a miserable weekend to come, it seems!

Posted
15 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

A really sultry day in Slovakia. 34C here but as high as 37.7C in the village of Mužla (not far from Esztergom in Hungary), only 0.5C short of the all-time June high.

Slight correction - Mužla reached 38.0C.

Much cooler here today ("only" 27C) but early next week could bring more high temperatures. Certainly a very warm second half of June. 

Currently at the driving range right next to Bournemouth airport. It’s supposedly 16C here. Feels more like 6C, it’s damp, cold and raw!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn, winter, snow, and thunderstorms.
10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:
1200px-Chatham_Islands_from_space_ISS005
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG
1200px-Franklin_Wharf_2015.jpg
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG
1200px-Wellington_NZ-cablecar-topview.jp
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Here are my favourite climates for comfortable summers and year-round mild weather. Bet there will be lots of people on here that won’t agree....

Hard agree! Eureka’s climate is particularly interesting - thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I guess my main criticism of the British climate isn't the climatic range but the high frequency of grey non-descript weather and the low sunshine hours.  But having said that, if you took the east of England climate, tweaked the relative frequencies of some of our synoptic setups, and reversed climate change back to where it was at during the mid-1990s, you'd be pretty close to my idea of an ideal climate. 

Generally speaking I've considered the climates of a large part of continental Europe more interesting/favourable than ours, but with climate change this is increasingly offset by a growing frequency of dangerous heatwaves.  Certainly parts of New Zealand come into consideration as potentially having more interesting/favourable climates than ours from a personal POV.  But yes, I might well find many parts of the USA too extreme, and again with climate change this is becoming more of a problem in the summer.

Apparently this country gets the highest number of tornadoes per unit area on average, but rarely are they severe enough to cause much damage.  I saw a funnel cloud as recently as 24 May.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted

Feeling a bit grumpy today. Cool. Grey. Drizzly. About 12c. BUT. My mood is lifted by looking at the model output charts which seem to suggest (quite strongly) that towards the end of next week summer will arrive! And stay around for a good while. Hoorah!

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Vansvansvans said:

Hard agree! Eureka’s climate is particularly interesting - thank you for sharing!

Yes it is. The novelty of having 15°C and clear blue skies for most of the year would be great. It would be like having an eternal Spring 2020. The summers are extremely dry and very sunny at over 2000 hours annually - higher than anywhere in the U.K, but the summers are very comfortable at 17-18°C. A tad cool maybe, but in the strong California sun I bet it will still feel warm.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

A very un summer like day here, persistent moderate rain and temps a good few degrees below the late June normal. 

No rain here at the moment but thick cloud once again. Only forecast to reach 14°C here.

While it has been far from a washout, it’s been very poor for sunshine and warmth this week. We were doing so well during the first half of June, but now our British climate is definitely living up to its poor reputation.

Next week looking much better - at least in the north... Low 20’s and sunny intervals forecast here.

Posted
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

*Whispers* There is some very rare sun in the South today!

Quick! Get the BBQ out before it disappears for the next fortnight! 

32 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

*Whispers* There is some very rare sun in the South today!

Certainly better than I was expecting. Still its only 19C and pretty breezy.

Posted
30 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Quick! Get the BBQ out before it disappears for the next fortnight! 

Hahahaha!! Too right!

• Like 1