Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m surprised by that as Seattle has a reputation for dull wet weather.

He only mocks the UK's summers I should have said. Seattle has considerably drier, milder and sunnier summers than anywhere in the UK. The rest of the year is pretty lousy though.

You also have to remember that Seattle is only considered dull compared to the rest of the contiguous United States - even though it is still sunnier than anywhere in the UK - it has 2100 hours of sun a year. That would seem very sunny compared to London and especially where I live in Sheffield.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

I know one guy who lives in Seattle, he mocks the UK's climates regularly. Then again Seattle has warmer summers than London (at least max temperatures) and a lot more consistent sun and dry weather. It has a Csb (warm summer Med) type climate.

Only August is warmer really… London’s mins are warmer too all summer months.

ECCCA2A9-8FDA-4628-BED9-C3A169B53857.thumb.png.ba36b331e89421f72d802e8b84cc43b4.png8254B159-2826-4D9B-B223-E160B10C1BDE.thumb.png.08d7eba052af5fb07a9944ecc6cea7a1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
14 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

ECCCA2A9-8FDA-4628-BED9-C3A169B53857.thumb.png.ba36b331e89421f72d802e8b84cc43b4.png8254B159-2826-4D9B-B223-E160B10C1BDE.thumb.png.08d7eba052af5fb07a9944ecc6cea7a1.png

Probably due to all that cloud

Posted
20 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

You need to compare like-for-like averages, first off, here are the 1981-2010 averages for both places:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Climate

So the nights have basically no difference at all, and Seattle has maxes in at least 1-1.5°C warmer in every month, a lot more sun (50% more), and less rain in summer. Summers there are much better for people who like consistent sunnier, settled drier weather, such as myself. I lived in London from 1991-2003 FWIW.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
4 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

You need to compare like-for-like averages, first off, here are the 1981-2010 averages for both places:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Climate

So the nights have basically no difference at all, and Seattle has a lot more sun (50% more), and less rain in summer. Summers there are much better for people who like consistent sunnier, settled drier weather, such as myself. I lived in London from 1991-2003 FWIW.

Summers in London are dry most of rain is usually convective. The sunshine ok that’s the big selling point but that alone. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Summers in London are dry most of rain is usually convective. The sunshine ok that’s the big selling point but that alone. 

Seattle has almost half the rain days in July-August and half the rain June-August. That's nearly twice as dry as London. Each summer month is also 1-1.5°C warmer maximum temperatures. So those also sell it higher than London too.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted

It is annually but I was talking about summers (and the guy in Seattle mostly laughs at our summers). I'd prefer a Seattle summer than a London one and London has the best summer in the UK for temps.

I think Londoners could potentially laugh at how wet Seattle's winters are though- I had no idea how wet they actually were until I looked before. 147mm on average in January- incredibly wet!

Posted
Just now, Scorcher said:

I think Londoners could potentially laugh at how wet Seattle's winters are though- I had no idea how wet they actually were until I looked before. 147mm on average in January- incredibly wet!

Oh they do, the UK forumers try and get back at the Seattle guy in winter, although I'd still personally accept a rainier winter if I get paid back with a nicer summer. It depends which season and which type of weather is more important to you.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Seattle has almost half the rain days in July-August and half the rain June-August. That's nearly twice as dry as London. Each summer month is also 1-1.5°C warmer maximum temperatures. So those also sell it higher than London too.

The average temps in London are a very comfortable range not cool, in fact they’re pretty much optimum for humans. Warmer doesn’t always equate to better. Most of continental Europe is wetter than us due to downpours and thunderstorms in fact the summer season is where they get most rainfall. Take Paris wettest month August.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The average temps in London are a very comfortable range not cool, in fact they’re pretty much optimum for humans. Warmer doesn’t always equate to better. Most of continental Europe is wetter than us due to downpours and thunderstorms in fact the summer season is where they get most rainfall. Take Paris wettest month August.

This comes down to personal preference, like I say for people who like sunnier warmer summers Seattle is better. If you don't, London would be better, certainly less sunny and a little cooler. Personally I'd like a lot more thunderstorms than either place has to offer. Paris has a more interesting summer than London or Seattle if you want thunderstorms. According to Parisian members of the forum I'm on they've had about 5-10 days with thunder already this June while 0 here.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Seattle no doubt gets more snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I know one guy who lives in Seattle, he mocks the UK's climates regularly. Then again Seattle has warmer summers than London (at least max temperatures) and a lot more consistent sun and dry weather. It has a Csb (warm summer Med) type climate.

Seattle does have much better summers than here. But they've got nothing to brag about from October through to Spring as it just rains almost every day but not much cold or snow to look forward to, and the city itself is starting to get a far north in the country so with low light in the Winter coupled with heavy rain it can be depressing, as we all know when we get a wet December here.

Spokane in the east of the state is far colder than Seattle. Like a different world in the Winter because they are away from the Pacific and east of the Cascades. But even there it's still much milder compared to North Dakota and Minnesota. Both are the coldest lower 48 states. Places like Devils Lake in North Dakota and International Falls in Minnesota regularly are the coldest spots in Winter time.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
19 hours ago, mathematician said:

Absolutely, people have no idea what they are talking about. Having spent many years of my life in a much hotter climate i can safely say that, especially in a warming world, the uk has the best summer weather in the entire world.

If the UK has the best summer weather in the world, why did the package holiday industry take off and why do so many people feel the need to jet off to the Mediterranean/Far East/Caribbean each year? A significant contribution to the UK being one of the worst countries in the world to be affected by COVID is the sheer number of people flying in and out, and the failure to close our borders when it could have made a difference.

• Like 2

Posted

Interestingly, a Seattle vs. London climate thread was created on this large international weather forum:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weather/2273052-battle-climates-london-vs-seattle.html

Seattle was voted the superior climate by 71 votes to 37. Mostly US members on there, although many from other parts of the world as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
9 hours ago, Alderc said:

Looks like another absolutely dreadful weekend coming, could be down into the low teens and at least one days washout with another day of showers. Probably zero sunshine all weekend….

I'm not seeing that. Met Office forecast for Horsham shows light cloud, occasional sunny intervals, temperatures up to around 19C, and very fleeting light rain showers Friday to Sunday. Nothing like a washout and zero sunshine, that was last Friday.

Edited by al78
  • Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Oh they do, the UK forumers try and get back at the Seattle guy in winter, although I'd still personally accept a rainier winter if I get paid back with a nicer summer. It depends which season and which type of weather is more important to you.

It just seems random that a guy from Seattle would be making fun of a climate that is arguably better in some ways. Fair enough if he lived in LA but Seattle- seems odd to me!

The winters sound every bit as dull as over here but far far wetter- that is not something I'd want to live through in order to get a good summer.

Posted
3 minutes ago, al78 said:

I'm not seeing that. Met Office forecast for Horsham shows light cloud, occasional sunny intervals, temperatures up to around 19C, and very fleeting light rain showers Friday to Sunday. Nothing like a washout and zero sunshine, that was last Friday.

Yes I've been saying this all along- the Met Office have access to a lot more data than the amateur model watchers on these forums have. Yet people persist in banging on about this horrific weekend that is supposedly coming.

Looking mostly dry for many of us and not that bad in the south either.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It just seems random that a guy from Seattle would be making fun of a climate that is arguably better in some ways. Fair enough if he lived in LA but Seattle- seems odd to me!

The winters sound every bit as dull as over here but far far wetter- that is not something I'd want to live through in order to get a good summer.

He does act a bit trollish at times, IIRC he stayed in London one summer when the weather was particularly bad and seems pretty anti-UK anyway. He also says how crap British food is so he's one of those types, perhaps a bit, um, biased. I read that Seattle vs London thread in which he posted and he says he'd prefer it to be sunnier and warmer in summer. Then people tease him about the rainy weather there in winter.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Yesterday evening I decided to have a walk across the fields to watch the sunset, and the first thing that hit me was how ‘Septemberesq’ everything felt and looked! Other people who I’ve spoken to (either in person or on line) have all agreed with me, that yesterday evening was like our first taste of autumn 2021! As an autumn lover I’m certainly not complaining about this.

Today we have got grey skies and a most welcome spot of rain, as up till now June 2021 has been a very dry and sunny month… From an IMBY perspective that is. ☀️

But one thing does appear to be missing from summer 2021 - Thunderstorms! Where are they? The storms are most notable by their absence!

Posted
33 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Spokane in the east of the state is far colder than Seattle. Like a different world in the Winter because they are away from the Pacific and east of the Cascades. But even there it's still much milder compared to North Dakota and Minnesota. Both are the coldest lower 48 states. Places like Devils Lake in North Dakota and International Falls in Minnesota regularly are the coldest spots in Winter time.

Oh I would take Spokane over UK any day! Snow in winter, sunny and warm/hot in summer!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

Lovely day here with partly sunny skies . doesn't feel cold at all. sometimes you get that  nip in the wind that makes it feel colder. 

Just feels naturally warm. 

I must have been really unlucky here then as im only about 30 miles west of Leeds and it’s been miserable thick grey cloud here, with some light rain at times, and not got above 14°C. Hopefully just a one day blip.

2 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Yesterday evening I decided to have a walk across the fields to watch the sunset, and the first thing that hit me was how ‘Septemberesq’ everything felt and looked! Other people who I’ve spoken to (either in person or on line) have all agreed with me, that yesterday evening was like our first taste of autumn 2021! As an autumn lover I’m certainly not complaining about this.

Today we have got grey skies and a most welcome spot of rain, as up till now June 2021 has been a very dry and sunny month… From an IMBY perspective that is. ☀️

But one thing does appear to be missing from summer 2021 - Thunderstorms! Where are they? The storms are most notable by their absence!

UK summers (especially up north) are often autumnal. Today is 14°C and dark low cloud, bit of drizzle every now and then, like an October day.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

It must be very different in North Wales then as it's not the slightest bit autumnal here in terms of vegetation etc. The trees are still vibrantly green and the days could barely be any longer at the moment. The sun is so high too- very surprising anyone could think things were autumnal in midsummer.

Posted
32 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Interestingly, a Seattle vs. London climate thread was created on this large international weather forum:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weather/2273052-battle-climates-london-vs-seattle.html

Seattle was voted the superior climate by 71 votes to 37. Mostly US members on there, although many from other parts of the world as well.

I’ve been on that forum before. They are usually very critical of maritime climates, however I love them. 

Btw, Eureka in California has the coolest summers in America, with an average high in July and August of a whopping 17.9°C! Cooler summers than most parts of England, alough they do get more sunshine than England and as they are further south than us their sun is stronger.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It must be very different in North Wales then as it's not the slightest bit autumnal here in terms of vegetation etc. The trees are still vibrantly green and the days could barely be any longer at the moment. The sun is so high too- very surprising anyone could think things were autumnal in midsummer.

The weather has certainly been very autumnal today. Currently 13°C and dark grey. Like being up in Lerwick.

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

He does act a bit trollish at times, IIRC he stayed in London one summer when the weather was particularly bad and seems pretty anti-UK anyway. He also says how crap British food is so he's one of those types, perhaps a bit, um, biased. I read that Seattle vs London thread in which he posted and he says he'd prefer it to be sunnier and warmer in summer. Then people tease him about the rainy weather there in winter.

I bet he's fun at parties.

• Like 3