Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Diabolical another day with no sun whatsoever. Icelandic!

82813BBF-D9F8-44D2-846A-8526A037AE6E.thumb.jpeg.d8f0d563199390ab3ea8747ee36d4755.jpeg

To be fair though you have had a very warm, dry and sunny first half of June. A few cloudy, cool and wet days are necessary to conform to long term averages.

4 hours ago, markyo said:

Why a ridiculous interpretation? You are just using the American term that became used for a short spell in 2008. Now it is no longer used even there. You can be on holiday but also at home, that is obvious, to holiday in the UK is not a "staycation", there seems this fixation that a holiday requires international travel, it does not, it never has done. You've got the context totally wrong i'm afraid. If i have a week off work and stay at home, that is a staycation, if i have a week in the Lakes that's a holiday!!

That means that technically anyone who is furloughed, unemployed or is self-isolating due to age/symptoms/positive test etc are on a permanent starvation.

3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Quite amusing reading all these moaning posts. Been fine here, if rather cloudy today. We had 3 hours of rain on Saturday night and that has been it.

Hit 20c around dinner time.

Surprised about that as it only reached 14°C, with thick cloud until late evening. Not a drop of rain though, alough with those temperatures might as well have been.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Well, I'd love to be proved wrong of course but I'm firmly sticking to my cold summer prediction. Yes, the first half of June was very pleasant, but we also had a good spell late May 2012 as well as some good weather early June 2007. 

I've really got a feeling (based on long term models) that that could be it! Gut feeling is we'll have a plume end of July and a few muggy days in August, but nothing like in recent years. 

If it makes anyone feel better NW France and Spain is having rubbish weather as well. And also, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Russia tend to have their hottest spells early summer.

Not gonna lie though, I wish seasonal weather was easier to come by in the UK like it was in the 1700s. The Atlantic was weaker back then and we had cold winters and hot summers!

• Like 3

Posted
10 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

The utterly dreadful conditions continue in parts of the UK, sadly. 12°C at lunchtime in London on the summer solstice is a joke, and it’s been horrible there for quite a few days now. Already 31°C here in Prague with severe thunderstorm warnings for later today/overnight (under Estofex Level 2). A big storm system moved up from S Germany overnight and brushed past the W of the Czech Republic. I could see the very distant lightning quite clearly, it was pretty frequent and bright. Was a bit of a steamy night here, 26°C at 1am

In contrast here it's already down to 10°C under clear skies and it felt chilly when I nipped outside to the outhouse. Could drop as low as 5°C here, got the summer duvet back on the bed. Brrrr!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
27 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

To be fair though you have had a very warm, dry and sunny first half of June. A few cloudy, cool and wet days are necessary to conform to long term averages.

That means that technically anyone who is furloughed, unemployed or is self-isolating due to age/symptoms/positive test etc are on a permanent starvation.

Surprised about that as it only reached 14°C, with thick cloud until late evening. Not a drop of rain though, alough with those temperatures might as well have been.

I think we saw some sun briefly. Sent temperatures up before it clouded over. Was quite cool to finish the afternoon at about 14c

Posted

Think 2019 delivered a cold summer solstice as well, with reports at the time how the winter solstice was warmer.. indeed probably a fairly common occurrence min temp wise I expect. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
2 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

We've had hardly any rain in this spell (barring a couple of hours late Saturday night) but also hardly any sun either. Its unreal how any kind of NW/SE or W/E split just gives us cloudy boring dross; it happens when the SE gets the heat now its happening when the NW has the sunshine. We get the same weather from opposite setups.

But, is it just round here that this month has felt decidedly reminiscent of June 2006? That started with a lot of fine warm weather until the football started, then we had a good 10-12 days of tedious cloudy crud though not very wet, before it started warming up again right at the end. I think the SE kept the good weather right through, so the opposite setup but it felt very similar weatherwise.

Yes, I was seeing parallels with June 2006 even before the weather broke, thinking "this spell of warm sunny weather reminds me a lot of the first 12 days of June 2006".  I was in Leeds in June 2006 and the weather became somewhat cloudier but still mainly dry from the 13th onwards.  This June has gone a similar way here in Lincoln too.  Stats from RAF Waddington suggest that it was also a similar story here in June 2006.

There's still plenty of hope of it turning much brighter for my birthday tomorrow though.  I saw the clearer weather move into the north of England late today with some clearer skies to the far north/north-west of here at sunset.  Looks like the grey skies will return from 23-26 June though.

If the parallels with 2006 continue, though, remember that July...

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

What a mess! How can one of the most famous meteorological organisations in the world get sooooo badly wrong just 12hrs out!

I found summer!!! Western Canada!! Same latitude as southern England 

This is possibly the most remarkable forecast I’ve ever seen!

D59DD2BC-B805-403A-A254-751414C25441.thumb.jpeg.00c215cd3b5be5700b493b4883efee04.jpeg

Edited by Alderc

Posted
9 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I sound summer!!! Western Canada!! Same latitude as southern England 

D59DD2BC-B805-403A-A254-751414C25441.thumb.jpeg.00c215cd3b5be5700b493b4883efee04.jpeg

I'd be very surprised if that was anywhere near accurate given that the all-time record for Kamloops is 41.7C. The Canadian record is 45C.

That said, inland British Columbia does get warmer and drier summers than the UK. Vancouver would be a better comparison.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Nice overnight and early morning thunderstorms here and it’s cooled off a fair bit, though quite an overcast and murky morning, so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
11 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Not gonna lie though, I wish seasonal weather was easier to come by in the UK like it was in the 1700s. The Atlantic was weaker back then and we had cold winters and hot summers!

I find that very surprising, do you have a reference for that? If anything, the Arctic should have been colder pre-anthropogenic climate change, which would lead to a stronger polar jet stream. I have my doubts the UK really had a continental climate 300 years ago, my grandmother used to claim the same pre WWII, the truth is only the memorable seasons stick in the mind 50 years later, i.e. hot summers and cold winters. To get that sort of climate would require winters dominated by a negative NAO and summers dominated by a positive NAO.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Another glorious summer day on the South Coast (not) - just 12 degrees again!  My husband has just been speaking to a colleague in South Africa who was complaining that it was 'freezing' and he was wearing his overcoat - this is in a temperature of 20 degrees!  Even that would be better than this lot!

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, sarahng said:

Another glorious summer day on the South Coast (not) - just 12 degrees again!  My husband has just been speaking to a colleague in South Africa who was complaining that it was 'freezing' and he was wearing his overcoat - this is in a temperature of 20 degrees!  Even that would be better than this lot!

Don't worry. It will probably be 21c on November 17th. When it's dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Western Canada has decent weather tbf! Canada gets a bad wrap about its weather because people just make the association of Canada = snow, but it's not the case at all. Of course, winters there are long and harsh, but seasons are generally reliable and quite concrete in their patterns. Summer is actually Summer, for one. I've been to the Canadian Rockies several times (ranging between both British Colombia and Alberta), which is slightly east of Kamloops and the weather is overall very pleasant in the Summer, with temps in the mid-20s and the sun feeling particularly warm because of the altitude and mountain air. 

It's very changeable weather, but in a sense that it may be warm and sunny, then hail for 15 mins, then rain for 10 mins, then the warm sun will be back out. It's not like the UK summer where when it rains, it's a drizzly deluge that lasts the entire day or days on end. Nor is it like the UK wherein you get 27 degrees on one day followed by 13 degrees the following day (like we had in England last week). Weather patterns blow in quick and fast in those mountains and then onwards, meaning any bad weather tends to be very short-lived, and each day sees plenty of sun in and out the clouds (even if the forecast says 'rain'). That is weather i enjoy (although it does mean that you have to always bring a rain jacket), it keeps things fresh and clean and when it's hot, there's very low humidity so you can actually do things outdoors without the unpleasant energy-sapping feeling you tend to get when it hits 25+ degrees in England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

That’s crazy! Their average July max is 29c though as it’s a continental climate, but to see 45c up there would be bonkers. Be amazed jt that’s the case…..but who knows. 850 temps are predicted to exceed 30c by then. Must be a first or a rarity to see 30c plus 850s that far north?!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

That’s crazy! Their average July max is 29c though as it’s a continental climate, but to see 45c up there would be bonkers. Be amazed jt that’s the case…..but who knows. 850 temps are predicted to exceed 30c by then. Must be a first or a rarity to see 30c plus 850s that far north?!

ECM is currently forecasting raw temps up to 49/50C in inland Washington state in the same timeframe. Is simply staggering, the 850s of 34C go well into Canada up to nearly 54 degrees north. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Azazel said:

Still rancid here. Heating came on this morning. Winter coat on in the office today.

My heating was on this morning too! Was strange hearing it lol. Cloud cloud and yeeet more cloud ... Sick of cloud.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

It's gone on holiday LOL! Hope it isolates on it's return ...

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Azazel said:

Still rancid here. Heating came on this morning. Winter coat on in the office today.

And last summer you were complaining about not being able to wear shorts!

6 hours ago, Alderc said:

What a mess! How can one of the most famous meteorological organisations in the world get sooooo badly wrong just 12hrs out!

It’s got it right here, currently 17°C and mostly cloudy.

6 hours ago, Alderc said:

No thanks. Don’t know how people manage with that kind of heat.

4 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Don't worry. It will probably be 21c on November 17th. When it's dark.

That would feel amazing tbh.

Posted

Well last night was absolutely horrible for me. Felt very poorly all day yesterday and last night I became extremely cold and shivery. Went to bed in dressing gown and put two duvets on the bed and I was still freezing. Had to get the hot water bottle out (which I haven’t used for years) but got really hot so had to take it off. Eventually got to sleep around 2 am. The room temperature was 20°C so not cold, though cooler than recent nights (unfortunately that the night I was cold and shivery had to be ridiculously cold for the time of year, there was condensation starting to form on the windows!) 

Feeling slightly better today, but still poorly with a runny/stuffy nose, thick head and feeling very groggy. Hopefully it’s just a bad cold and not this Indian variant doing the rounds. 

Weather looks very benign next few days, mix of sun, cloud, the odd shower and temperatures in the high teens.

BBC Weather forecast for Nelson, Lancashire. Today: Sunny Intervals. Max 17°C, min 7°C. Wind 9mph N. https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641810

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

And last summer you were complaining about not being able to wear shorts!

It’s got it right here, currently 17°C and mostly cloudy.

No thanks. Don’t know how people manage with that kind of heat.

That would feel amazing tbh.

Yep, for all of 2 days out of 363 it was too hot for trousers in the office! 

• Like 1