Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

The utterly dreadful conditions continue in parts of the UK, sadly. 12°C at lunchtime in London on the summer solstice is a joke, and it’s been horrible there for quite a few days now. Already 31°C here in Prague with severe thunderstorm warnings for later today/overnight. A big storm system moved up from S Germany overnight and brushed past the W of the Czech Republic. I could see the very distant lightning quite clearly, it was pretty frequent and bright. Was a bit of a steamy night here, 26°C at 1am

Pretty unacceptable to be honest for high summer. Been rancid since that hot day last Wednesday. Another cool-ish one tomorrow before Wednesday warms up a tad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
12 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

There are loads more people on here who know loads more than me about weather.  But I would be interested to see if there is anywhere else at the UK latitude in the entire Northern Hemisphere that is experiencing such poor cold wet conditions as the UK. Just seems to me over the last 25 years that any extreme rubbish weather during summer is always here. 

Had a look on google maps and found Makkovik in Newfoundland. It’s at 55°N so around the same latitude as Southern Scotland. It’s currently only 5°C there at the moment, with a forecast maximum for today of just 9°C.

The warmest month is August with a pan average daytime maximum of a scorching 17.2°C! With summer nights well into single digits. 

So yes, things could be worse... Just be grateful you don’t live in Newfoundland!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Pretty unacceptable to be honest for high summer. Been rancid since that hot day last Wednesday. Another cool-ish one tomorrow before Wednesday warms up a tad.

Absolutely awful. It’s why I’ll never understand people whining about hot weather in the UK, there’s just so little of it to cause issues. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Absolutely awful. It’s why I’ll never understand people whining about hot weather in the UK, there’s just so little of it to cause issues. 

I guess it’s because people are not used to it so when it suddenly shoots up to 30°C people are like “OMG it’s boiling!”. Also because U.K. homes are designed to trap heat and most people don’t have air con.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

I seem to have slept so well I’ve woken up in November. Cold and wet, great first days holiday! Today will be spent playing fortnite! What a waste! 

The World Test Championship final between India and New Zealand played at the Rose Bowl is turning into a bit of a disaster with all the rain problems. If they played at Old Trafford they would have had no problems. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I guess it’s because people are not used to it so when it suddenly shoots up to 30°C people are like “OMG it’s boiling!”. Also because U.K. homes are designed to trap heat and most people don’t have air con.

It’s the same in other European countries away from the south, they generally don’t have air conditioning either and there’s far less whining. Must be a British thing lol

• Like 1

Posted

33C here currently. Last night didn't go below 22C. It's getting pretty tough to sleep without a fan I must admit. 

Some parts of southern Slovakia might reach 37C on Thursday, though I reckon it'll be more like 34-5C here. The all-time national record for June is 38.2C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Waiting for the 'I had to put on the heating today, so much for global warming' lot to surface on social media today.

• Like 4

Posted

Unusual to have the North West / South East divide working well for the North West in Summer. 

Glorious up here today as it has been most of the Summer.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

The most revolting summer's day I can remember since last Friday.

At least you won’t have to quarrel with your boss over wearing shorts at work (remember you moaning about that last year).

20 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Unusual to have the North West / South East divide working well for the North West in Summer. 

Glorious up here today as it has been most of the Summer.

Yes I’ve never known the weather in the NW to be so much better than the SE. It will probably flip in August, usually does.

• Like 1

Posted

There is one thing for it it has been gorgeous for you guys which is a nice trade off It's just a shocker to us who aren't used to it!

• Like 2

Posted

I guarantee there's been winter solstices warmer than today's summer solstice. Currently 12c at 3pm, a huge contrast to last week. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Been a wretched 5 days of "summer" since Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Of course if you have northern blocking then the jet stream tends to gets shoved southwards bringing the worst conditions to the south the north gets better weather closer to the high-pressure.

June 2012, July 2007.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
19 hours ago, Cleeve Hill said:

Just back from a week on the Northumberland coast. I’ve been fortunate enough to see a lot of beaches in my time but you’d find is difficult to beat those Northumberland beaches. This is the view to Farne Islands from Bamburgh. 

Last weeks weather was fab. No rain, lots of sun and around 18c I reckon. 

Northumberland is so unspoilt, it’s a real gem for a staycation 

55D9965E-E002-49DC-8E0B-4B7C62D30492.jpeg

So so very true, by far one of the UK's least known or thought of locations, the perfect summer holiday, they look stunning in the photo. ....just one point, that is a UK holiday, a staycation is when you stay at home, there has ben a load of argument about this!....not that i ever try to stir things up on here, heaven forbid

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

The utterly dreadful conditions continue in parts of the UK, sadly. 12°C at lunchtime in London on the summer solstice is a joke, and it’s been horrible there for quite a few days now. Already 31°C here in Prague with severe thunderstorm warnings for later today/overnight (under Estofex Level 2). A big storm system moved up from S Germany overnight and brushed past the W of the Czech Republic. I could see the very distant lightning quite clearly, it was pretty frequent and bright. Was a bit of a steamy night here, 26°C at 1am

They are welcome to it.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

At least you won’t have to quarrel with your boss over wearing shorts at work (remember you moaning about that last year).

Yes I’ve never known the weather in the NW to be so much better than the SE. It will probably flip in August, usually does.

I don't know about "usually does", most Augusts of the last 15 years have been mediocre to poor down here, it is as if August is the new autumn some years. It will probably flip about halfway through August when I travel north to visit my father and start having ambitions to do some hill walking.

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

So so very true, by far one of the UK's least known or thought of locations, the perfect summer holiday, they look stunning in the photo. ....just one point, that is a UK holiday, a staycation is when you stay at home, there has ben a load of argument about this!....not that i ever try to stir things up on here, heaven forbid

The common understanding of the term "staycation" is not going abroad i.e. *stay*ing in the UK, *cation* referring to holidaying.

Posted

Agree staycation is when you stay at home, when you go away to somewhere abroad or in the uk that is going on holiday and always was, just a stupid gimmick to sell holidays in the uk is the dreamed up word staycation.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
51 minutes ago, al78 said:

The common understanding of the term "staycation" is not going abroad i.e. *stay*ing in the UK, *cation* referring to holidaying.

Sorry your wrong, that is the American term, the UK staycation is staying at home.

og-image.png
DICTIONARY.CAMBRIDGE.ORG

1. a holiday that you take at home or near your home rather than travelling to…

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sorry your wrong, that is the American term, the UK staycation is staying at home.

og-image.png
DICTIONARY.CAMBRIDGE.ORG

Yeah it’s a stupid modern term. A holiday can be a holiday in the UK, and was for the majority of people for many years. Only since European travel got cheap this got flipped and if you had a UK holiday it was a staycation.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, markyo said:

og-image.png
DICTIONARY.CAMBRIDGE.ORG

Context is everything. The logical interpretation to "staying at home" here is staying in your home country whilst holidaying, otherwise everyone would be on a staycation whenever they were in their house, which is a ridiculous interpretation of the word.

Sad times the heating is now on. The rain is coming down as hard as it has all day and I have all my lights on...Utterly ridiculous.