Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 03/09/2021 at 05:57, DCee said:

I'm struggling to see any heatwave? Looks like two days of normal weather (low 20s) followed by further cloud and low temperatures.

26C in the SE which is well above average for September.

• Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Maybe I need to get out more, but I am curious as to who ends up making the last post in this thread before it gets archived. 

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Jo Farrows summary of summer 2021 available to read now but the general theme can be picked up with these charts and why the widely differing opinions of 2021 as a Summer.

56CF9BC1-EC97-48DF-B8C5-F819303D1EBA.thumb.webp.fe7f0d5b848c3c7342feca31b2e1d4fc.webp

CCD6786F-7B91-4D02-B103-4BA8493CC8AE.thumb.webp.0c76749c9b08a6b35a45c4e2354053eb.webp

4CFFD005-056D-4F6E-B2C5-4EF0596607C6.thumb.webp.be30077d4aa98c63abfb28dadef516c0.webp

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Intended to include link to Jo Farrow’s blog in previous post

augfinal.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Great contrasts across the UK this summer and particularly in August. Very, warm, dry and sunny for western Scotland and Northern Ireland but dull and wet in the southeast.

Edited by Northwest NI
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

I’m not having that we had a above average summer in my location not a chance especially when going of the mean maximum 

What stations do they use to compile the data ?

Posted
19 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

I’m not having that we had a above average summer in my location not a chance especially when going of the mean maximum 

What stations do they use to compile the data ?

This may help or go to UK Met Office and find their full list 

wind-sock-on-a-cloudy-breezy-day.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Observations made primarily for the purpose of providing information on the present state of the atmosphere and for weather forecasts are termed synoptic.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 04/09/2021 at 15:37, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Ha.... me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

If you spent the summer in the London area or on the south coast it looks pretty dire. Here in Reading I'd describe it as poor but not dreadful as we missed the heaviest of the rain in July and ended up with near average rainfall for July and August after a very wet June. Still probably the worst here since 2012, although 2015 and 2017 were only slightly better.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM T240, despite alignment of the ex-tropical storm with the jet earlier in the run, the trough still sits in the Atlantic and the block resurges:

82CFE731-978F-4113-905B-E208E04B8626.thumb.gif.0713719d205e72e93c82b0ecdbf71082.gif

Which kind of brings me to the subject of winter.  It has almost been a year now since the Atlantic last properly dominated our weather…and it is tantalising to think that this could extend just a few more months…it is hard to say what has caused this, but it has happened in the past, the prevailing westerlies have just gone away for ages.  If Autumn doesn’t break this pattern (it might) then we could be in luck for some early winter cold - bear in mind that summer has been cool apart from early July and next week - a quick cool down is more likely next winter than any since 2010 in my opinion.

Sorry for saying this but summer 2021 in the UK has been far from cool. It’s 1 Celsius warmer than average and is possibly in the top 10 warmest. It’s also dry apart from south east England. Not sure how then both a cool supposed summer or the actual fact of a warm summer will allow a quick cool down?

image.png

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
9 hours ago, Downburst said:

Sorry for saying this but summer 2021 in the UK has been far from cool. It’s 1 Celsius warmer than average and is possibly in the top 10 warmest. It’s also dry apart from south east England. Not sure how then both a cool supposed summer or the actual fact of a warm summer will allow a quick cool down?

image.png

image.png

Slight surprise, but probably shouldn’t be!  It’s been cool by recent years standards, probably be difficult to get a summer that is cool relative to that average, nowadays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
On 05/09/2021 at 08:30, Sunny76 said:

I was hoping for a clear sunny day, as we are heading to Bexhill today. More cloud yet again. Hopefully it burns off later.

You picked a good day for a trip down to my neck of the woods. This weekend has been one of the best we've had for a very long time.

It's funny looking back on some of the predictions at the start of this topic. Overall the meteorological summer here on the coast in East Sussex has been disappointing to say the least. Sunshine and temperatures below average and rainfall above average. August, whilst mostly dry was particularly bad with day after day of cloudy gloom.  I'm making the most of this current late burst of autumnal warmth and sunshine.

Posted
50 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

You picked a good day for a trip down to my neck of the woods. This weekend has been one of the best we've had for a very long time.

It's funny looking back on some of the predictions at the start of this topic. Overall the meteorological summer here on the coast in East Sussex has been disappointing to say the least. Sunshine and temperatures below average and rainfall above average. August, whilst mostly dry was particularly bad with day after day of cloudy gloom.  I'm making the most of this current late burst of autumnal warmth and sunshine.

It certainly was a nice day. We had our lunch outside, walked along the seafront towards Cooden Beach. It's really nice down there, and never too crowded either. Just the right amount of busy.

• Like 1