Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Well that's the washing nice and dry.  I must say I'm really enjoying this cool-ish, cloudy and dry weather.  Perfectly usable you might say and I'm still not sweating which makes it even better.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
41 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I'm reminded of August 2008.  The setup was rather different, with tropical maritime air on the northern flank of high pressure bringing lots of cloud, rather than the North Sea cloud-producing machine going into overdrive, but it was a similar story of a few weeks of generally dull wet weather being followed by dry and anticyclonic weather that was ironically even duller than what had gone before.  It's rare, but this kind of thing isn't without precedent.

It's possible that some parts of eastern, central and southern England could end up with a comparable shortage of sunshine to August 2008 this month, we'll have to see when the end of month stats come out, but a few days ago Waddington still hadn't reached 100 hours.

80 hours here. Laughably bad.

Been out in a hoody today….way too cold for just a t shirt. Would be just about do-able if it was still, but the wind is making the pathetic 16c we have feel more like 10c.

• Like 4

Posted
47 minutes ago, Simon M said:

Well that's the washing nice and dry.  I must say I'm really enjoying this cool-ish, cloudy and dry weather.  Perfectly usable you might say and I'm still not sweating which makes it even better.

Useable is certainly one word for it... 

• Like 2

Posted

Worst May I’ve ever known, worst August (maybe 2014 was just as bad) and now heading for one the worst starts to September (after 2015). When does this end?

The short end of March heatwave is about the only impressive weather event of 2021.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It is ironic that the stalwarts on the MOD thread are not posting at the moment because the weather is very boring. A d yet when the weather is far more interesting they generally contrive to make it sound boring and repetitive, Go figure Sidney

• Like 2

Posted

Sun is just breaking out here, or trying to. We've had 66.4 hrs of sun 8/23 to 8/29 and 0.3mm of Rain. Temps only slightly above average so no heat wave, but pleasant given a couple of dull wet weeks before. June and July were great here though relative to east and southern England, but more importantly to what we usually can get here. What is amazing is Soil Temps are 4.1 above normal and with a lot of rain early August things are growing insanely fast here, it's exceptional growth this year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

yes plentiful sunshine last week but not now its very gloomy ,Im surprised its so grey wiht the size of the high pressure and its drizzly too..Ive loved our summer though for this part of the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
24 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Worst May I’ve ever known, worst August (maybe 2014 was just as bad) and now heading for one the worst starts to September (after 2015). When does this end?

The short end of March heatwave is about the only impressive weather event of 2021.

There was the week of heat in the middle of July for those of us in the SE at least, and I think August 2008 was worse for lack of sun at least.

Otherwise, this year is one I wish I could erase from my memory once it is over. The Countryfile forecast on Sunday evening went into some detail about the summer statistics with the aid of the Met Office spatial monthly anomaly maps. The dull and wet SE stuck out on the maps like a sore thumb.

Edited by al78
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
5 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It's ironic that most of the summer has been under low pressure cloud and grey. We finally get a big massive high pressure for two weeks and it's just, er...........cloud and grey. And I have just put the bins out at the top of the drive and its is bloomin freezing cold to boot. UK.August.

Yes, what a waste of a blocking high, and more akin to the anticyclonic gloom we get in winter rather than an anticyclone in summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes not many positives for the summer overall, although July at least made it over 200 hours sunshine here. June's first half was also good here, sadly the second half was generally overcast bar the odd day. August has felt and behaved more like a September I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Even I think this weather is crap...far too much cloud trapped around this HP. This is the best time of year now for it to be sunny (sun a bit lower so no longer so intense when out in it).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
37 minutes ago, al78 said:

Yes, what a waste of a blocking high, and more akin to the anticyclonic gloom we get in winter rather than an anticyclone in summer.

Used to it here, easterly breezes are very dull! maybe not a chink of sun until after Sunday's rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Mixture of sun and cloud here and improvement on last two grey days. Looking sunny here until midweek.

Posted

It does feel very winter like at the moment - just a touch warmer. We get those periods every winter where it’s just grey with not a lot happening. It feels very much like that.

• Like 3

Just look at this mess!

2A1752F1-7234-4C1F-B823-9EB91F2D489D.thumb.jpeg.27083000240e217d4966b4a6594c65f3.jpeg

Possibly the most unrelenting and most extensive period of North Sea crud in recent history. If the forecast verifies it’ll be a copy and paste job for the next five days. Even in March or April the cloud burns back quicker. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Just look at this mess!

2A1752F1-7234-4C1F-B823-9EB91F2D489D.thumb.jpeg.27083000240e217d4966b4a6594c65f3.jpeg

Possibly the most unrelenting and most extensive period of North Sea crud in recent history. If the forecast verifies it’ll be a copy and paste job for the next five days. Even in March or April the cloud burns back quicker. 

definitely worse this time of year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

The sun didn't come out at all here today!  What a waste of a Bank Holiday.  No doubt Christmas Day will be mild, windy and rainy - as usual.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This has to be the worst day of the summer so far, which is some accomplishment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
28 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Just look at this mess!

Unusual for the vile crud to be so extensive and persistent at this time of year. Revolting.

Not much better here today, loads of cloud with very limited sunshine, and cool (a ‘high’ of 16°C, pathetic) but there was a brief thundery shower earlier.

F0A82D79-FF7A-45DE-896A-48188BAC34EE.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Extraordinarily gloomy today for meteorological summer - particularly as the gloom set in perhaps around 16:00 BST, remembering that this is 15:00 GMT, for comparison to light levels in the winter. Plenty of winter days when it's been brighter at 15:00 GMT than today - even cloudy winter days.

Not even early-autumn-like today; rare to get this kind of anticyclonic gloom before the middle of October.

As for the summer as a whole, cloudiness (as has been the case for every year since 2007, it seems, bar 2013, 2014 and 2018) has been the defining feature.  August has I suspect been notably cloudy, and there seems to have been an unusually large number of days during the summer when 21C has not been reached.

To be fair the past week (23rd-29th) hasn't been at all bad, cool and not that sunny (except Wed and Thurs) but pleasantly dry. Today is the real downer.

Some contradictions in the medium-term forecast: Met Office suggesting something fairly unsettled next week but GFS 12Z suggesting anticyclonic after a brief weekend breakdown.

Posted
1 hour ago, sarahng said:

The sun didn't come out at all here today!  What a waste of a Bank Holiday.  No doubt Christmas Day will be mild, windy and rainy - as usual.

Knowing our climate Xmas Day will be 17c and mild SW breeze from the Azores.  Which will actually do me just fine. 

• Like 4

Posted

Makes you realise how boring our weather is compared to others across the pond. At least they get proper  seasonal weather. 
Temps 30c+ on eastern seaboard right now, before autumn rains and winter snow kicks in. 
Uk= Cloud in summer, rain in winter. 1 day of 30c ~ it’s to hot  

• Like 2

Posted

Even in winter we struggle to get a full month of the same type of weather, so no wonder August has got to so many, particularly us in the SE.

Day after day of any type of weather grinds my gears, so 30+ days of this spectacularly depressing variety is grinding them big time. Absolutely sick to death of it. 

• Like 1