Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Fantastic day here today, really warm sun and clear blue sky's, beer garden weather me thinks,

• Like 2

Posted

Closed the windows this afternoon, as it feels chilly despite being 19c, but feels cold under all that cloud. The sunny skies didn’t last long after 9 this morning.

The last few nights have become chilly, so no longer wearing shorts and t shirt in the flat. It’s back to fleece and joggers. 

Unless there’s a warm up, the heating will be going on this coming week. It actually feels cold enough for it in the evening now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Closed the windows this afternoon, as it feels chilly despite being 19c, but feels cold under all that cloud. The sunny skies didn’t last long after 9 this morning.

The last few nights have become chilly, so no longer wearing shorts and t shirt in the flat. It’s back to fleece and joggers. 

Unless there’s a warm up, the heating will be going on this coming week. It actually feels cold enough for it in the evening now.

Just shows how we are all different. For me it's still far too warm for that up here in Costa del Oldham. 22C indoors so more than comfortable in sleeveless gear - if I put a fleece and long trousers on I'd be sweating within half an hour. The sun has been a natural central heater today and most importantly free. This house is very good at retaining warmth from solar energy in summer but not in winter as the chilly air just sits in this valley with the cold sliding down the slope from Oldham town centre 300 ft higher than here. Generally I don't put the shorts away until the first proper air frost so probably another 6-7 weeks yet but if it's a mild October it could be into November. I'm just one of those people who doesn't feel the cold that much. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Just shows how we are all different. For me it's still far too warm for that up here in Costa del Oldham. 22C indoors so more than comfortable in sleeveless gear - if I put a fleece and long trousers on I'd be sweating within half an hour. The sun has been a natural central heater today and most importantly free. This house is very good at retaining warmth from solar energy in summer but not in winter as the chilly air just sits in this valley with the cold sliding down the slope from Oldham town centre 300 ft higher than here. Generally I don't put the shorts away until the first proper air frost so probably another 6-7 weeks yet but if it's a mild October it could be into November. I'm just one of those people who doesn't feel the cold that much. 

Yes, we are all different. Once daytime temps hover or drop below 20c I need to wear a light jacket. Haven’t worn shorts for a couple of weeks outside, although to be fair it was warm enough during the week, but I have to wear a suit at work.

Was wearing shorts in the flat since the late May period, but last night was the time I decided to go back to joggers. The flat is 20c, but the lack of sun will make the place feel much colder soon. 

I feel the cold more, and unless it gets up to 28c, I never feel hot before that. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
43 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, we are all different. Once daytime temps hover or drop below 20c I need to wear a light jacket. Haven’t worn shorts for a couple of weeks outside, although to be fair it was warm enough during the week, but I have to wear a suit at work.

Was wearing shorts in the flat since the late May period, but last night was the time I decided to go back to joggers. The flat is 20c, but the lack of sun will make the place feel much colder soon. 

I feel the cold more, and unless it gets up to 28c, I never feel hot before that. 

It's like we all have our internal thermostats  set at a different level, find it so interesting. I'd find 28c far above comfort level heat wise but inversely you'd find my comfortable colder temp far to cold to be comfortable. Is it biology or conditioning? Whatever it is we are all different, thats the main thing!

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

It's like we all have our internal thermostats  set at a different level, find it so interesting. I'd find 28c far above comfort level heat wise but inversely you'd find my comfortable colder temp far to cold to be comfortable. Is it biology or conditioning? Whatever it is we are all different, thats the main thing!

I’m not sure what it is,  but a perfect example of how different we all are would be, me sitting in a pub garden right now, and probably needing a jacket. If I’m drinking a cold beer or wine, I’ll feel cold much quicker.

However if it’s a spirit, that’s a different story. I just can’t drink whisky anymore though. Can’t stand the smell or taste of it.

Eating outside when it’s under 20c can start to become uncomfortable for me also, but not 16-19c in the evening after a hot day. 

A daytime high of 19c will be off putting, because I know it will start to feel chilly as the evening moves in. I’ve had my fair share of chilly BBQs over the years, but that’s not to say I don’t make the best of it. I just wrap up and put a jumper on.

The burgers will still taste good either way lol. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I wonder if genes play a part. A bit like if you are tolerant to cow milk as that often indicates most of your ancestors going back from thousands of years have lived in northern Europe or thereabouts. Maybe some people from further south feel the cold more due to similar biological reasons. But that could be speculation as I'm not a scientist.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It was a sunny day in Lincoln today, for the first time since Monday.  I remember being surprised at around midnight last night when the skies cleared.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Today was the 35th day this year where the temp reached 20c + here. I've got no idea what the average is but almost 10% of the year reaching the 20s seems like quite a mild one for central Scotland.

• Like 2

Posted

It’s been a nice day today but with quite strong high pressure why is it so cool this and next week? You’d think high pressure in summer would produce at least some heat.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I wonder if genes play a part. A bit like if you are tolerant to cow milk as that often indicates most of your ancestors going back from thousands of years have lived in northern Europe or thereabouts. Maybe some people from further south feel the cold more due to similar biological reasons. But that could be speculation as I'm not a scientist.

I love milk in my black tea, yet I know people who can’t have milk in tea. Black tea makes me feel sick lol.

Everyone is different, and part of it is how you are conditioned.

Maybe if I experienced a few more 2021s, my body would probably adjust to it,  and a 2018 summer would feel uncomfortable. 

It can change with age as well. I’m starting to notice how my body can’t tolerate as much heavy food as I used to. What I mean by that is, I can still eat a hearty dinner or lunch, but I don’t feel the need to eat so much in one sitting. Christmas and family gatherings are different though, but I have started to eat light during my working week days. Eating porridge for breakfast, and some days I’ll eat only fruit for lunch, then have a bigger meal in the evening. 

• Like 3

Posted
58 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

It was a sunny day in Lincoln today, for the first time since Monday.  I remember being surprised at around midnight last night when the skies cleared.

A friend of mine is staying in Cromer, and he tells me It was chilly this morning with some rain. Then the blue skies came along. Still on the cool side.

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Today was the 35th day this year where the temp reached 20c + here. I've got no idea what the average is but almost 10% of the year reaching the 20s seems like quite a mild one for central Scotland.

In this cool year I’ve had 76 days  

Posted
On 28/08/2021 at 16:16, stainesbloke said:

Vile here again in Prague. Grey skies, scattered heavy showers and a measly 15°C. At least the strong winds have abated. Can’t wait for my 2 weeks in S Spain from next weekend (currently a lovely 32°C there).

For the first time since May I can say the past week here has been genuinely rubbish: suppressed temperatures (barely scraping 20C), a lot of cloud and frequent heavy showers. We're stuck with this crap until at least Wednesday. It's been a good summer overall so I probably shouldn't complain too much (and I consider September a summer month here) but it really is a feeble end to August.

And these mosquitoes can foxtrot oscar as well. They've been awful since late July. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not sure what it is,  but a perfect example of how different we all are would be, me sitting in a pub garden right now, and probably needing a jacket. If I’m drinking a cold beer or wine, I’ll feel cold much quicker.

However if it’s a spirit, that’s a different story. I just can’t drink whisky anymore though. Can’t stand the smell or taste of it.

Eating outside when it’s under 20c can start to become uncomfortable for me also, but not 16-19c in the evening after a hot day. 

A daytime high of 19c will be off putting, because I know it will start to feel chilly as the evening moves in. I’ve had my fair share of chilly BBQs over the years, but that’s not to say I don’t make the best of it. I just wrap up and put a jumper on.

The burgers will still taste good either way lol. 

Yes. A day time max of 19c will mean a chilly evening. As such today. In pub beer garden by about 7pm was decidedly chilly. Had to put the jacket on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Woke up jolly to clear blue skies this morning, added to the fact that most forecasts said it would be mostly sunny today. 30 mins later, the entire sky is now being dominated by ugly grey cloud as far as the eye can see. Welcome to Spring & Summer 2021 in the South East- AKA the land of the grey. There is nothing worse than when a forecast predicts sun and gets it so so very wrong.

Edited by SunSean
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Yawn. Another grey and cloudy day today…..due to be followed by more grey skies for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

The sooner this high moves and buggers off the better. I can’t take much more of this, it’s actually getting me down now.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
19 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Well, August drawing to an end. Looking at this month's temps, seems like the high for Brentwood, Essex was.....23C. That's insultingly low, pathetically low. I can't even remember the last time we had a day that was say 26C. I've forgotten what summer should actually feel like. Maybe it should feel like this though, and we've just become acclimatised to temps in the mid twenties to thirties. 

London and South-East have had a real, real bad run of it this year. In my eyes, its effectively been dire since May. 1 hot week in June and a few hot days in July don't make a 'summer', and do not compensate for the sheer lack of sunlight / sunshine that has plagued us since late Spring. 

I'm not necessarily fussed about not having tonnes of 30 degree days...but the neverending grey, the literal weeks on end of cloud (i think we've had less sunny days this August in London than in February, I recall reading somewhere), have made the season simply just not feel like 'summer' at all. Not to mention the fact that 21 degrees with cloud and a cool wind feels *very* different to 21 degrees with no cloud at all...which is what a lot of the North and Scotland have been enjoying this summer whilst South England (and North France tbf) have festered under this gloomy, dark cloud for days at a time and weeks on end with just the odd 1 or 2 day where one spots some blue patches up there. Was in London to meet some friends yesterday and did NOT feel like August bank holiday at all...air temperature was so, so cool and a chilly wind. Felt like late October or something tbh.

I'm thankful I took a trip to Spain at the end of July because weather like this genuinely impacts your mood and health...I cannot saw how much bettter I felt after being in the sun on the beach for a few days. It's like someone sticked some sort of energising injection into my bloodstream! Humans need vitamin D crucially, and considering we have cloud pretty much most of winter, autumn and spring in London, to have it for 95% of the supposedly sunniest season is really disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
15 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Maybe some people from further south feel the cold more due to similar biological reasons. But that could be speculation as I'm not a scientist.

I think there maybe some truth in this...but I don't think the differences will be genuinely impactful unless you're genetically very far removed from North-European descent, so like, you're North African or or something. I have see many Africans in London wearing thick coats and bobble hats during 30c weather, and on the tube as well where 30c is more like 40c!

I think primarily its about preference, imo. I love the cold, I enjoy the briskness and freshness of the air and the way it slaps you in the face when you go outside at 6am in February. But I don't enjoy it when August feels like October or early April. Likewise, I hate it when January or February is too hot and doesn't feel like it should (I recall like in 2019 where we had Feb days reaching 18, 19c in London! Horrible!).

On the other hand, there are probably people who would like it to be 30c all year round regardless of month and would be happy for Xmas dinner on the BBQ! Or, the cold-lovers who prefer things to never really exceed 20c even in the height of summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

For the first time since May I can say the past week here has been genuinely rubbish: suppressed temperatures (barely scraping 20C), a lot of cloud and frequent heavy showers. We're stuck with this crap until at least Wednesday. It's been a good summer overall so I probably shouldn't complain too much (and I consider September a summer month here) but it really is a feeble end to August.

And these mosquitoes can foxtrot oscar as well. They've been awful since late July. 

Think Slovakia has had a warm summer this year again. E Czech Republic has been warmer than the W, but even here it’s been a pretty decent summer. Plenty of warm sunny days, some truly epic thunderstorms and lots of rain so that the grass, etc, is still lush and green. The last week or so has been utterly vile, however. I do feel a bit robbed considering it was the coldest spring here since 1921 with the cold being relentless throughout, so I’m definitely not ready for colder weather just yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Here are a few more stats of terror to sum up Spring/Summer 2021 in the London area-

May 8th- May 29th (Only 4 days out of 22 with 6+ hours of sunshine)

June 17th- July 13th (Only 2 days out of 27 with 6+ hours of sunshine)

July 24th- August 28th- and counting (Only 4 days out of 36 with 6+ hours of sunshine)

some perspective-

January 2012 had 7 days out of 31 with over 6+ hours of sunshine

Even if you add the spells from June 17th- July 13th and July 24th- August 28th (a total of 63 days) January 2012 still had more days over 6+ hours sunshine!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun

Thankfully and finally we're having real summer weather here in Torquay. Its been a bad year for cloud amounts at least since spring but since last Monday its been perfect weather. So the 7th day in a row now its been great and it looks like it will stay great next week too. The cloud is often not too far away but its leaving us alone. We've been very fortunate in that respect. The last week and next week are the best part of 2021 so far especially since the humidity isn't too bad with all the sunshine. Its busy as well which is such a nice thing to see after everything over the past year.

2069956189_TorquayCaryGardenPalms.jpg

Torquay Vista Cruise Ship.jpg

Torquay Marina Aqua Adrenalin.jpg

Wesup Raptor Speedboat Torquay.jpg

Torquay Aqua Adrenalin Jet Ski Racing.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
On 28/08/2021 at 05:58, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices since and including 2000

2000 198 2001 211 2002 200 2003 247 2004 197 2005 224 2006 246 2007 174

2008 168 2009 194 2010 191 2011 179 2012 164 2013 247 2014 236 2015 192

2016 189 2017 192 2018 272 2019 199 2020 182 2021 236 (up to 26th Aug)

Ranked

2018 272

2003 247

2013 247

2006 246

2021 236 (up to 26th Aug)

2014 236

2005 224

2001 211

2002 200

2000 198

2004 197

2019 199

2009 194

2015 192

2017 192

2010 191

2016 189

2020 182

2011 179

2007 174

2008 168

2012 164

Very interesting- has it gone up slightly after yesterday's sunshine?