Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Have to say we’ve done a lot better today than I thought. Only a light breeze and up to 23C now. 

Can't wait to come your way! It's only 20c here. Hit 21 for a few mins but back down now. Still a stiffy breeze.

Posted
27 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Who’d have thought the air would be warmed behind the cold front!

Almost 2 degrees warmer than yesterday with less of a head start!

Little bit of foehn effect today SW spots warmest place sheltered in the Lee of NE flow. 

Posted

Cool N breeze. Distinctly chilly. Heavy cloud. Zero sunshine. In August. With high pressure 

Only about 5 degrees difference between this and the grey tosh we get the rest of the year.

I want my money back.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.
16 minutes ago, Mac_SE said:

Only about 5 degrees difference between this and the grey tosh we get the rest of the year.

So true! Hadn’t thought of it that way. It’s dire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
38 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

It’s amusing but sunshine makes all the difference in summer.

I was thinking we could have a similar situation as a Sunday in May 2020 when a 19c mid morning maximum became a 13c afternoon due to a weak cold front from the NE.

Of course. It's just rather amusing that toady has almost been a carbon copy of yesterday here but yesterday only hit 21 whereas today as surpassed 23. I remember that Sunday - felt positively wintry by the evening!

32 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Little bit of foehn effect today SW spots warmest place sheltered in the Lee of NE flow. 

Could be right. Today the wind is almost NNE, straight off the Cotswold 'plateau', whereas yesterday was more ENE so not quite the same effect. I look forward to winter when the same setup brings reversed roles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Nice out again today, with sunshine and a fresh breeze.  Almost feels autumnal out there.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny warmth, thunderstorms, frost

Grim once again. This cheerless clag makes me wanna shake a fist at the sky and flip the bird!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yesterday was a cool cloudy dross day, today bang opposite, warm and sunny...

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Another absolute stinker here. Cloudy, windy and drizzle off and on all day. Depressing, it really is. One of the worst summers I can remember. Not so much for the rain, but the lack of sun and warmth. 

This is definitely up there with the worst summers since 1979.

Only 1985, 86, 1993, 98, 2002, 2004, 2007,2008, and 2012 were worse than this year. The cloudy days have really made it feel like we never fully recovered from the cold and damp May weather. 

Only 3 and a half weeks of hot sunny days in London this summer, which is shockingly bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Northerly breeze so okay here, filth drifting down towards E Midlands eastwards, any direction from ENE to ESE though and here is misty and chilly

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Quite a depressing evening on the allotment, I had to drive home and get a hoodie thanks to a chilly breeze and cloud!  We have noticed that a lot of our veg isn't as sweet as it should be, such as beetroot and corn on the cob. I can only put this down to lack of sunshine.  The pumpkins are almost ready for harvest as the vines started to die off in the cool and showery late July. 

And now the evening are really coming in. I don't feel like I've had a summer. There's whole zip bag of summer clothes that I haven't even opened this year.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

This is definitely up there with the worst summers since 1979.

Only 1985, 86, 1993, 98, 2002, 2004, 2007,2008, and 2012 were worse than this year. The cloudy days have really made it feel like we never fully recovered from the cold and damp May weather. 

Only 3 and a half weeks of hot sunny days in London this summer, which is shockingly bad.

Is it even that many? Can only think of the hot spell when the schools broke up in July… 

Posted

Interesting to read perceptions of the summer. Marked contrast between those in the SE and those in the NW. Those in the SE feeling aggrieved some what. Further north and west you travel the better the opinion. Perhaps not too surprising as we have had alot of blocking to the north or north west which has resulted in more of a flow from between NW and SE. The opposite to the normal pattern. Roles have been reversed. NW has seen lengthy dry warm sunny conditions. SE plagued by cool relative to the norm, cloudy damp or wet conditions. 

Will be interesting to see if the summer anomaly pattern backs this up. We've had this synoptic since December..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

First night without aircon running in bedroom tonight for 2 months....byebye Summer....Hello lovely Autumn!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted

I don’t think I used a fan or air con for more than a week this summer. 

Hopefully 2022 will see a return to a better summer with more lengthy warm sunny spells. Way too much cloud this summer, and May was bad. 

Even with poor summers in recent years, at least we had a decent spring of sorts to enjoy long sunny periods. 2017, and 2020 come to mind. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Yep agree with all the above posts, I can’t remember in my 20 years of being fascinated by weather have I witnessed such a poor run of sun here in Norfolk…Cloud constantly coming of the North Sea since late April.. The latest chart from the met office clearly backs this… Really not sure what this would mean if continued during winter. I guess no cold nights due to cloud cover , but chilly below average temps days possibly.. Only good thing we haven’t had the persistence rain just localised down pours.

FE3EBE94-C4CE-4A97-9F58-D1831D1192D5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
Just now, slater said:

Yep agree with all the above posts, I can’t remember in my 20 years of being fascinated by weather have I witnessed such a poor run of sun here in Norfolk…Cloud constantly coming of the North Sea since late April.. The latest chart from the met office clearly backs this… Really not sure what this would mean if continued during winter. I guess no cold nights due to cloud cover , but chilly below average temps days possibly.. Only good thing we haven’t had the persistence rain just localised down pours.

FE3EBE94-C4CE-4A97-9F58-D1831D1192D5.png

Just to note only recorded a high of 24.4 c for August a very poor attempt with no sign of this being reach rest of month .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Yes, it has been a rather poor summer this year in terms of cloudiness and a lack of interesting weather conditions.. ie; different cloud formations, plumes and widespread thunderstorms. Far too many mostly cloudy or overcast days which gets boring after a few days. It hasn't been particularly wet though - in fact rainfall has probably been around average if not a little below average in my neck of the woods. Just boring overcast days.

I must admit, the hot spell in mid to late July did get a bit much after a couple of days as it was quite an oppressive one, and it wasn't really a plume.

The last few days of August are looking decent enough in my neck of the woods. Late teens or early 20s, periods of sun with some clouds here and there and a gentle breeze. On the other hand, what is forecast and what actually happens are often two different things.

Out of the whole summer, I would say that the first half of June was the most decent and useable.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

It’s now dark when I wake up, and seeing the sunlight creeping in at 5.30am now, which is a massive difference even just compared to a week ago.

Still, it’s nice for a change to see a clear blue sky morning, and that’s something that’s been lacking in my area for most of the summer.

Mornings are feeling noticeably cooler now. 

Posted
8 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes, it has been a rather poor summer this year in terms of cloudiness and a lack of interesting weather conditions.. ie; different cloud formations, plumes and widespread thunderstorms. Far too many mostly cloudy or overcast days which gets boring after a few days. It hasn't been particularly wet though - in fact rainfall has probably been around average if not a little below average in my neck of the woods. Just boring overcast days.

I must admit, the hot spell in mid to late July did get a bit much after a couple of days as it was quite an oppressive one, and it wasn't really a plume.

The last few days of August are looking decent enough in my neck of the woods. Late teens or early 20s, periods of sun with some clouds here and there and a gentle breeze. On the other hand, what is forecast and what actually happens are often two different things.

Out of the whole summer, I would say that the first half of June was the most decent and useable.

The last few days of May until mid June was the best spell of the summer, due to the benefit of peak daylight hours, just a shame we lost it by the time we got to the summer solstice.

I remember some hot days around 27-28c, and some of the nights were warm.

The July hot spell was much more humid, despite the clear sunny weather, but I would take 6 weeks of that quite easily if it meant longer spells of settled sunny weather.

The lack of sunshine this year has been a real issue, but hopefully September makes up for it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
10 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Didn't really have any plumes! The only storms that we had were generated by instability and low pressure/upper trough forcing. Nothing traditional really coming up from Biscay or the South.

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Didn't really have any plumes! The only storms that we had were generated by instability and low pressure/upper trough forcing. Nothing traditional really coming up from Biscay or the South.

We haven’t had a Biscay, northern France type of storm since at least 2018.