Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
42 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Not very often we see a plume of very warm air being pulled up the Western side of the UK...GEM looks pretty solid for these locations.

Look away now you Londonders

You seem to have developed your own little....not macro climate..but Arctic climate

gem-0-96.png

gem-0-126.png

gem-1-96.png

London/Southeast is always the warmest part of the country in summer, crazy what synoptics have happened consistently this year for them...Even here in the southwest its been so much more cloudier and cooler, it's like we have swapped climates with the north 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
7 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

London/Southeast is always the warmest part of the country in summer, crazy what synoptics have happened consistently this year for them...Even here in the southwest its been so much more cloudier and cooler, it's like we have swapped climates with the north 

Yes Twistergirl...you sound like a superhero or something

The SE usually gets its own little macro climate at this time of the year,so it's definitely been a strange one.. im sure business as normal will resume next year though

@Kentspur nowt wrong with some early optimism...im off the belief that solar minimum,and coming out of it as lead to a weak and meandering jetstream...hence blocking setting up to the North more frequently!

Personally I think this year could be one of our best chances of a proper Winter! I'm hearing there as been record amounts of Glacier melt in Greenland this year...but alot less Ice melt in other Arctic regions than previously! I've got a feeling blocking could be quite prevalent this year!! But long way off,but an interesting countdown beckons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You know it’s been a dreadful summer when the flying ants don’t start coming out until the final third of august! No need for a protein shake after the run I’ve been on, inhaled millions of them!

Posted
38 minutes ago, Alderc said:

You know it’s been a dreadful summer when the flying ants don’t start coming out until the final third of august! No need for a protein shake after the run I’ve been on, inhaled millions of them!

They must have been desperate to get out! It’s not even that warm and is definitely not humid!

Posted
7 hours ago, SunSean said:

I find it crazy, that since July 24th, Heathrow have only recorded 3 days with over 6 hours sunshine! Proves just how bad this stretch has been for the South east/London.

Yes, it really has been toilet weather!

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

In southern England, I'd agree that cloudiness more than anything else has been the problem this summer.

There have been occasional spells of heavy rain, but the summer has not been noteworthy rain-wise except for one or two extreme events.

More generally for modern summers since 2007, cloudiness seems to be the defining feature. I suspect for summer as a whole, and August in particular, sunshine stats for the 15 year period 2007-21 will be well down on the preceding 15-year period.

Perhaps not historically unprecedented though as I get the impression that the 1920s and 1960s were also decades with cloudy summers.

Cloud again today. We got a nice clear anticyclonic N-NW yesterday (which aside from a hot SE airflow, tends to give us the best weather in the summer) but now the wind has veered further and we've replaced Atlantic clag with North Sea clag. The synoptics for good summer weather just don't seem to happen much nowadays - when you get an anticyclone, there are either weak fronts or the wind is from a 'bad' direction.

Hihi!! Where are you? I agree on the cloud front it's been ridiculous!! Cloud all day today too until around 4pm. I'm not expecting anything different from this week except for being dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Wow mate...I never new ants were full of protein...thats gonna save me 30 quid a month now..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Mr Schafernaker with MeteoGroups, view of the Week ahead.

Evidently, we're stuck in an Omega block: 

Weather for the Week Ahead - BBC Weather

But who on earth cut your hair, Thomas? 

Boris Johnson's missus? 

image.png.b8b4b073c14d44dbc37a5863ed1f901f.png

Regards,

Tom. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

Yes seem late this year, mine appeared on Friday just gone. In most years happens by first week of August. Mind we've not had much in the way of moist humid weather since July. The warm weather coinciding with dry conditions.

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Yes seem late this year, mine appeared on Friday just gone. In most years happens by first week of August. Mind we've not had much in the way of moist humid weather since July. The warm weather coinciding with dry conditions.

I seem to have a plague of Earwigs. Must be the Dudley climate.  I went to the bog the other day and a stray Earwig dropped out of my piece of bog roll.  Bit of a shock really but I brushed it up in the dust pan and chucked it out of the window on to the back garden. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

It's actually lovely and sunny here, had a distinct autumnal feel at 6.45am though but I think it will finally be a lovely english  late summers day today ☺️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat

I love how the band of cloud and murk extends across the UK, getting thinner all the way until it reaches the Welsh coast at exactly the spot I'm staying for the week...

• Like 1

Posted

Stunning Summer has returned to the North West and looks set to stay for a couple of weeks. Just in time for the school's going back here!

• Like 2

Posted

Drizzle. Don't know how the UK manages it but even with high pressure centered over the country just a couple hundred miles to my Northwest we manage unsettled weather. The UK is without doubt the most pathetic country in the world for seasonal weather.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Counting myself lucky to be outside that layer of crap today. Mostly sunny and 22c, though I’m not that far from the murk. Feel sorry for you all underneath it. Probably be my turn rest of the week

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I got the weather wrong for today - I didn't foresee cloud cover being quite this widespread today, especially after many of us had a sunny day yesterday and high pressure remains on top of the country.  The GFS predicted extensive cloud cover today, but I subconsciously discounted it because the GFS's cloud cover predictions often aren't the most reliable - but this time round they were!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Whats happened to august this year usually the atlantic is roaring in....

To get an easterly in august is very strange....

And the way its looking at 15.5c currently and its looking like the dullest sibce the record brraking dull august of 2008 unless the sun comes out.

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I seem to have a plague of Earwigs. Must be the Dudley climate.  I went to the bog the other day and a stray Earwig dropped out of my piece of bog roll.  Bit of a shock really but I brushed it up in the dust pan and chucked it out of the window on to the back garden. 

That could have been painful on the old bum bum!!

Posted
25 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Sun is out for once but a keen breeze making it feel cold in a t-shirt. Shame. 

I just went out in a vest into the garden and regretted it. That north wind is the pits for sure! I really don't undestand why HP hasn't been able to establish right over the UK as a whole this year! Not once. It's just mad!

• Like 2