Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

A strange thing happened this afternoon.  A massive golden ball appeared in the sky. Which suddenly turned grey to blue. If I was on a Star Trek mission with Captain Kirk i would immediately beam down to Earth with Scottie available to beam us up in the event that it was just a cloudy drizzly illusion. 

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Unfortunately we didnt fair so well,it was supposed to be dry today but it has been showery all day and temps topped out at 16 deg,no sunshine in sight!

Yeah, it hasn’t been a great summer by any stretch, and even when there’s a nice spell of weather, it’s a different picture 40-50 miles away. 

This coming week looks like the best part of the summer since the mid July hot spell, as it will be sunny for most.

Countryfile weather has stated it will be warm in the sunshine, but the east coast might be chilly as the winds will become northerly, and temps look to be in the mid teens for some by midweek, while inland it may reach 22-23c in sunshine. Quite poor for late August. 

Posted

Summer is ending here in Central Europe. From tomorrow the cold air will start blowing from the north bringing the proper autumn feel. Looking forward to it. We had another scorcher of a summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
25 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Just to note,Heathrow recorded an average high of 21.6 deg in August 2010 whereas in 1986 it only managed 20.0deg

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Mate if I had a quid for everytime someone posts a chart,and you say it looks cold grey and windy here I would be loaded..you must live on an oil rig in the middle of the North Sea  

It looks like more prone NE/E/SE areas that could be troubled with gloom and cooler temps at times,many other places looking pretty good..UKMO at day 7? High pressure in control.

Ps..dont be trusting BBC video forecasts..

12_168_500hpa_height.png

12_168_850_temperature.png

If I had a quid for everytime someone on here said "summer is finally here...blah blah blah.. plume is coming I guarantee it etc" I would be able to retire soundly right now, what was it 19 August it was going to be hot and summery and then the week before that and the week before that.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Summer is almost over, I'm still waiting for it to begin. Haven't had one this carp down south for years

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, daz_4 said:

Summer is ending here in Central Europe. From tomorrow the cold air will start blowing from the north bringing the proper autumn feel. Looking forward to it. We had another scorcher of a summer.

Looks like an unpleasant week to come here with plenty of rain and poor daytime temperatures for August. 
I definitely wouldn’t call summer in Prague this year a ‘scorcher’. It’s been much more of a normal summer, with lots of nice sunny, warm days. There haven’t been many really hot, uncomfortable days this year, unlike the 2 previous summers. There have been a few cooler spells and some windy, wet days too. There has been a lot of rain throughout the season, everything is still very green and lush. Some epic thunderstorms, too which will live long in my memory. A very enjoyable summer, a bit of everything but plenty of sunshine which is so important.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

What's been up with the s**** weather here in the SE? the past couple of days it has been a morning with partly cloudy skies with the sun appearing now and then and then an hour later it becomes overcast and sometimes even rains just for all for it to eventually go away when the sun is setting completely ruining the purpose of the sun even being out here. It actually makes the days worse than it starting overcast as it gives u hope that the cloud is going to burn away when the sun gets higher in the sky, but it doesn't. The cloud stays and doesn't go away until the sun is setting wasting yet another day of "summer".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
3 hours ago, NTC said:

If I had a quid for everytime someone on here said "summer is finally here...blah blah blah.. plume is coming I guarantee it etc" I would be able to retire soundly right now, what was it 19 August it was going to be hot and summery and then the week before that and the week before that.

I've been saying for some time the final 3rd would improve,I was becoming less confident of a Hot spell though as time went by. You can't really blame those on the model thread(me included) for predicting better conditions though,I mean look at the met updates...for weeks there write ups would include hotter spells becoming more likely! Only goes to show how difficult it is to make long range predictions in the UK....And those that do,deserve credit! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I definitely wouldn’t call summer in Prague this year a ‘scorcher’. It’s been much more of a normal summer, with lots of nice sunny, warm days.

Huge differences this year between eastern and western part of the country. It was much warmer here in the east. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

As expected, we have North Sea cloud this morning, though it's nothing like as thick and dreary as it would be, were we in June.

27 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

As expected, we have North Sea cloud this morning, though it's nothing like as thick and dreary as it would be, were we in June.

Lol that’s pretty extensive IMO. It’s extremely thick here, little sign of any breaks, actually no definition in the cloud base whatsoever so probably a couple of hours at least until it breaks here. 

6A6728A5-8972-4918-B564-8DCE98D7598A.thumb.jpeg.5969fe4745374d00f09de4cc31651b72.jpeg

Day 1 one the sunny high pressure week begins under a cloud of thick low cloud. ECM looking extremely poor all week across the south and south east with cloud and low temps persisting. Still it’s Nae bad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

For me, living in the South East, this will go down as the worst summer i have ever experienced in living memory in terms of cloud cover. Almost every day, the sky is just a sheet of grey and the weather forecasters have got it wrong almost every day in August so far, which is strange. Before i went to sleep, numerous forecasts said there would be a good amount of sunshine today but i woke up today and now the forecasts all say complete cloud coverage until 3pm. No doubt that will change to all day cloud coverage within a few hours time  

I don't mind what the temperature is, whether it be 15 degrees or 30, i just want good amounts of sunshine. Unfortunately this has been a truly dreadful year for sunshine duration in the South East. Roll on Spring 2022, and hopefully at least half as much grey as what we have had this year.

• Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Day 1 one the sunny high pressure week begins under a cloud of thick low cloud. ECM looking extremely poor all week across the south and south east with cloud and low temps persisting. Still it’s Nae bad

Day 1 of the sunny high pressure week and the sun is beaming out here in the centre of england lol!!love it !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
9 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Day 1 of the sunny high pressure week and the sun is beaming out here in the centre of england lol!!love it !!

And again day1 of many many sunny days here in Dublin as that wonderful placed high pressure brings us countless days of 19 -24 degrees. Perfect conditions and I even took the day off to sunbathe, ahhhh Happy Mondays

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

And again day1 of many many sunny days here in Dublin as that wonderful placed high pressure brings us countless days of 19 -24 degrees. Perfect conditions and I even took the day off to sunbathe, ahhhh Happy Mondays

The British Isles seem to have shrunk this year -- if you're nae south of the M4 corridor, you no longer count!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Oh would you look at that, the same pattern again today, bit of blue sky with the sun coming out from time to time only for the cloud thickening AGAIN, this might take the cake as the most depressing month recorded from the lack of sunshine which others have said, it's the lack of sunshine not the heat that makes it so miserable. If i'm wrong with today's weather pattern, it will make me happy, But from the past couple of days having this same pattern, i'm not putting any bets on it becoming like that 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Lol that’s pretty extensive IMO. It’s extremely thick here, little sign of any breaks, actually no definition in the cloud base whatsoever so probably a couple of hours at least until it breaks here. 

6A6728A5-8972-4918-B564-8DCE98D7598A.thumb.jpeg.5969fe4745374d00f09de4cc31651b72.jpeg

Notice any differences? 90mins later the bank of cloud appears to have thickened up and become more extensive. 

AE5DDEBE-E06A-418D-AC4B-677C8EFA5558.thumb.jpeg.871e7edc94d7e8555b1dd8a54833a307.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Another "wonderful" day in the East. Grey Cloud, might rain, no sun again. Afer being in the "City" for a Cricket Game yesterday when we had torrential rain at 5:30pm that finished the game off, I now look at the Netweather 14day forecast to see more of the same and it getting colder in to September. 2021 the year with no sunshine in East Anglia, absoloutly the worst Summer I can remember in 50yrs. If somone else comes on the TV saying "Europe cooked this summer" or my other favourite "Global Warming means we will have more summers this hot" well they don't live in East Anglia & I might just throw something at the TV. Wheat still uncut in fields (Yes bread prices definately going up this year !) and tomatoe plants that show no sign of rippening unless you have a daylight sunlamp on them in greenhouses. 

Then I read Daily Mail Headline (I know shouldn't read it, but its free) 81 degrees at the end of the week, summer on its way only to go to the Netweather 14day forecst (Which I trust !) to see 22 centigrade at best and at least 70% clous for most of the days. 

So as we turn towards winter the question is, if this persists what does it mean for winter ? Because having put up with this rubbish summer at least the weather gods could be nice and give us a snowy couple of months, or are we just going to continue with the grey but temperatures at 8 or 9 instead ? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 23/08/2021 at 10:54, Alderc said:

Notice any differences? 90mins later the bank of cloud appears to have thickened up and become more extensive. 

AE5DDEBE-E06A-418D-AC4B-677C8EFA5558.thumb.jpeg.871e7edc94d7e8555b1dd8a54833a307.jpeg

I can see on your map why I have cloudless skies and nice warmth at 1100hrs. Looks like a great week coming up ☀️☀️

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, East Duckling said:

Another "wonderful" day in the East. Grey Cloud, might rain, no sun again. Afer being in the "City" for a Cricket Game yesterday when we had torrential rain at 5:30pm that finished the game off, I now look at the Netweather 14day forecast to see more of the same and it getting colder in to September. 2021 the year with no sunshine in East Anglia, absoloutly the worst Summer I can remember in 50yrs. If somone else comes on the TV saying "Europe cooked this summer" or my other favourite "Global Warming means we will have more summers this hot" well they don't live in East Anglia & I might just throw something at the TV. Wheat still uncut in fields (Yes bread prices definately going up this year !) and tomatoe plants that show no sign of rippening unless you have a daylight sunlamp on them in greenhouses. 

Then I read Daily Mail Headline (I know shouldn't read it, but its free) 81 degrees at the end of the week, summer on its way only to go to the Netweather 14day forecst (Which I trust !) to see 22 centigrade at best and at least 70% clous for most of the days. 

So as we turn towards winter the question is, if this persists what does it mean for winter ? Because having put up with this rubbish summer at least the weather gods could be nice and give us a snowy couple of months, or are we just going to continue with the grey but temperatures at 8 or 9 instead ? 

A colder one is definitely on the cards. Hints were there in winter 2020/21, and my guess is we will have a massive snow event sometime leading up to and just after Christmas 2021.

This summer has been appalling for the amount of cloud cover. No long periods of sunshine, so I hope we get a cold dry and frosty winter as a trade off.

A mild cloudy one would be a blow.