Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Properly autumnal today  14c and loving it.

• Like 2

Posted

I've defended this summer as not being tooo bad here for June and July, but this August is turning out to be poor. Often cloudy, highest temp 21.8C, and a boring generally cloudy forecast too.

Often north-westerly winds can at least have a decent amount of sunshine but not this one it seems. At least Saturday afternoon was nice and yesterday started sunny I guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another reminder that if you're not happy with the model thread, don't read it or contribute yourself.

Slagging off posters on the sideline is not okay and posts doing that will continue to be removed.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The grim conditions endured by southern Britain lately have made their way here. Grey, cold (15°C) and very windy. Absolutely vile. Thankfully such days are rare here in summer.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

The grim conditions endured by southern Britain lately have made their way here. Grey, cold (15°C) and very windy. Absolutely vile. Thankfully such days are rare here in summer.

The first proper taste of autumn. The clock is ticking for this summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

No other way to say but the summer weather has been like a sick joke in southern UK more often than not this year, we really have lucked out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
37 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

The first proper taste of autumn. The clock is ticking for this summer.

It’s inevitable but there’ll be some warmer weather returning later this week

Posted
On 17/08/2021 at 09:50, Evening thunder said:

I've defended this summer as not being tooo bad here for June and July, but this August is turning out to be poor. Often cloudy, highest temp 21.8C, and a boring generally cloudy forecast too.

Often north-westerly winds can at least have a decent amount of sunshine but not this one it seems. At least Saturday afternoon was nice and yesterday started sunny I guess.

Big differences again this month depending on where you are.

We've had eight days above 22C, five above 23C and a high of 23.9C so far this month. Our mean max is still 21.8C and we've had 15.8mm of rain. This summer is on course to be the third driest here since 1995!

Granted the last few days have been very cloudy, but even yesterday reached 21.6C when the sun did eventually come out in the afternoon.

June and July managed 209hrs and 196hrs of sunshine between them which is more than all of summer 2020! July and August 2020 had only 97hrs and 132hrs each.

Edited by reef
  • Like 2

How would you compare this summer with the summers of 2001 and 2011? Better or worse? The cloudy August we've had so far feels similar to 2011, whilst the July heatwave felt similar to a period of heat in early July 2001, especially because of the thundery breakdown.

Posted

Another damp and dreary day, barely 16C. I wouldn't mind the lack of warmth if the weather was at least interesting!

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Philipsfd said:

How would you compare this summer with the summers of 2001 and 2011? Better or worse? The cloudy August we've had so far feels similar to 2011, whilst the July heatwave felt similar to a period of heat in early July 2001, especially because of the thundery breakdown.

But where are you as this summer has been quite different depending on your location.

May I ask you to add your nearest town please?

thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Grim day today - grey cool and windy - feeling like Autumn - and not in a good way. The garden needs weeding but can't find the enthusiasm. When I realised that we were not going to get a 2018 summer, I lowered my expectations, I think I have been quite lucky with my weekends/week off. I have had usable outdoor weather, and have managed a sea swim on a sunny day with a cold easterly wind in north Norfolk and a quick harbour swim on the south coast, as well as a lot of paddleboarding and cycling. It could be worse, but it hasn't always been reliable shorts weather which is the measure summer for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy winters

Just to cheer you all up. Weatherbell have put out their winter forecast. 

Edited by Due South
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I don't recall 01 but summer 11 was far worse than this nationally. Summer 11 was like 07 but with cool cloud replacing half the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Just for anyone that thinks I moan too much about the weather being bad when it's not really that bad etc

Just look at this 500mb anomaly chart for August so far. Absolutely godawful, and sadly what we all expect from August in the last 20 years or so.

• Like 3

Posted

Can't believe I'm actually considering sticking the heating on. Don't know whether the new place I'm in is just colder, but it certainly isn't warm in here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Can't believe I'm actually considering sticking the heating on. Don't know whether the new place I'm in is just colder, but it certainly isn't warm in here.

My kids are complaining there cold in the house unbelievable in August 

I refuse to put the heating on until October

Jumpers it is 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, seabreeze86 said:

Jumpers it is 

I'm usually exactly the same. I cannot bring myself to put the heating on in August. It's 19C in the house which is just about okay for me, another degree colder then I'll have to give in haha.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
44 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Jumpers it is 

Me too, I really try to not turn the heating on until October either   Because then it'll be on  for 5 months 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Philipsfd said:

Overall about equal to 2001 though slightly different: 2001 had a few 3-day hot spells, a few rubbish days and lots of "average" 20-24C partly sunny with the odd shower weather. 2021 has had a couple of 7-10 day warm spells in between long periods of cloudy rubbish, with a few "average" days. 2001 was much better for thunder and connective weather, it was wetter and sunnier than 2021 so far. But overall both in the "average" category.

Definitely better than 2011 which had what we have now almost continuously for 3 months, save an occasional day or half-day that got into the mid-20s and one surprise night time storm in August. The only real summer weather came in late Sept and early Oct.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mac_SE said:

Currently digging out my SAD lamp...

I've been thinking about it but resisting! ... Once I get back from holiday in 3 weeks time I will. Although the weather will be nice by then!