Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I feel like in southern England this year we have had the type of summer that Scotland usually get and with what the government have put us all through the past 18 months we just wanted some lovely warm sunny weather  

Still I am hoping the back end of summer makes it up to us and looking at the latest GFS it just might do  

I did read that the gulf stream was collapsing and with how the jet stream has behaved this summer I can quite believe it....I'm no clued up with the technical things though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 08/08/2021 at 19:33, stainesbloke said:

Some amazing skies here at the moment, a nasty looking storm is approaching from the W

5BE4716A-FE4B-460C-BA6B-D978CB8E0A1A.jpeg

78A1710D-88B5-41E0-B01C-66B975248E33.jpeg

035C7FFE-0604-41B6-94BF-B3C5E17FEEDB.jpeg

BB0F269A-863A-4FD6-926E-A02050F5483C.jpeg

Stunning pics, that kind of sky looks proper eiry!

Posted

Once the showers had cleared early afternoon it was quite pleasant out, then the wind picked up which spoilt the evening tbh, so an evening in the house but nowhere near cold enough for the log burner to be struck up!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
18 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Stunning pics, that kind of sky looks proper eiry!

It was unexpected, I’ll admit to a bit of nervousness as it came in! Was a cool storm, didn’t last that long though

86691406-DE9D-4FD5-8B8A-99FDF6AA6E1D.jpeg

B7ABC93B-D6AC-43B0-9E3A-68CDFA9050A8.jpeg

525B31DC-B0E1-43AF-86A5-640FD0AC73C2.jpeg

20637727-2519-4EC7-991C-F2389513FF88.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
On 08/08/2021 at 20:59, stainesbloke said:

It was unexpected, I’ll admit to a bit of nervousness as it came in! Was a cool storm, didn’t last that long though

86691406-DE9D-4FD5-8B8A-99FDF6AA6E1D.jpeg

B7ABC93B-D6AC-43B0-9E3A-68CDFA9050A8.jpeg

525B31DC-B0E1-43AF-86A5-640FD0AC73C2.jpeg

20637727-2519-4EC7-991C-F2389513FF88.jpeg

It Looks a menacing sky in those pics, would have me running for cover lol

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Popping on a plane for several hundred pounds, isn’t really worth it, if all you are chasing is certain types of weather. 

I disagree. I have tended to holiday in the Balearics usually around September or October time, in the knowledge that it is their prime time for severe storms. I think for that purpose, the discounted prices you usually pay during those months to go there, it is definitely worth every penny! Plus you also still get the sun, beers and the tan for a bonus, purely from my perspective and opinion. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Wold Topper said:

It Looks a menacing sky in those pics, would have me running for cover lol

Hehe, it was very atmospheric and then the rain suddenly hit, I did go running inside, was mad! But the storms here are so good, been a great season for them

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, Stargazer said:

It seems that Greenwich really only averaged 1410 hours of sunshine per year from 1981 to 2010, but most other areas of London, particularly to the west, are sunnier than that with around 1550-1650 hours. Would Greenwich be more prone to fog perhaps? I think I've seen an average annual sunshine map somewhere showing a noticeable dull area around London.

flooded-railway-line.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Greenwich Park UK climate averages

Apparently as it was in park the trees had impact my experience generally east of London is sunnier than west. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices. Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

2021 243 (up to 7th Aug)

1994 240

• Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

So glad i'm not in Seville this weekend, that looks horrific temps, not nice at all

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Another poor summer up here baring the odd week. Just one year can we have a 1995 repeat what a summer that was

• Like 2

Posted
59 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Another poor summer up here baring the odd week. Just one year can we have a 1995 repeat what a summer that was

My uncle says this is similar to summer 1987, although even then, the south had longer periods of heat in late June until mid July, and a hot third week of August with thunderstorms on the 21st-22nd, Friday night into Saturday morning.

May was cool and dull that year. 

I wouldn’t want a repeat of winter 87/88 though, as it was very mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

My uncle says this is similar to summer 1987, although even then, the south had longer periods of heat in late June until mid July, and a hot third week of August with thunderstorms on the 21st-22nd, Friday night into Saturday morning.

I think this winter will be a memorable one everything is falling into place. I think one month will have a minus CET or close to 

Posted
4 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

I think this winter will be a memorable one everything is falling into place. I think one month will have a minus CET or close to 

Yes, I feel you are right. 2020/21 was a teaser winter, but this one will have more snow I think. Possibly another cold Christmas and early January on the cards.

Still though, it’s all a long way off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
18 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

There have been some situations where going on holiday hasn’t been the solution.

Lack of snow in December one year, and the lack of sunny weather in another. I just put it down to bad luck, as the weeks prior to my arrival and after my departure, produced snow in late December, and a long hot spell of weather in my Mediterranean destination.

Its still rare for that to happen, but you get my point.

Popping on a plane for several hundred pounds, isn’t really worth it, if all you are chasing is certain types of weather. 

Go on a US storm chase and see if you still agree with your last point

Once you've seen a monster of a tornadic supercell on the Plains, even the best thunderstorms the UK can fart up just don't cut it. Can't wait to get back.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Go on a US storm chase and see if you still agree with your last point

Once you've seen a monster of a tornadic supercell on the Plains, even the best thunderstorms the UK can fart up just don't cut it. Can't wait to get back.

My days of long haul flights to North America are behind me. I’m not that fussed about sitting on a plane for 7-9 hours anymore.

Its a hindrance now, and not worth it to see some thunderstorms or severe cold and snow. 

Just my opinion lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
On 09/08/2021 at 09:22, Sunny76 said:

I imagine a repeat of the 87/88 winter would now be almost completely snowless at low levels due to the climate having warmed by just under 1C since then, because although there was some snow that winter, it was invariably very marginal.  I could imagine the depression of 22 January 1988 (which for many brought the only substantial snowfall of that winter) bringing sleet rather than snow across a large swathe of England, and eastern areas being peppered with rain, hail and sleet showers from the northerlies of late February 1988.

In contrast, if we go back a year, I can't imagine sleet/rain rather than snow being an issue if the synoptics of 11-14 January 1987 were to be repeated.

Regarding summer 1987, even though June 2021 was dull and wet in the south-east I don't think it was remotely comparable with the very cold, wet June of 1987 which widely produced record low sunshine totals.  I'm seeing more parallels with summer 2013 this year, but that of course was followed by the notoriously wet and snowless winter of 2013/14.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like a more typical summer pattern is setting up for the upcoming week with LP to our NW and a ridge of high pressure to the south developing a more sterotypical NW-SE divide, though even in the NW its far from a washout.

Looks like a fairly cloudy type of set-up though even for the SE with weak fronts dangling nearby.

However the next 10 days do look considerably drier than the first 10 days outside of perhaps the more north/western parts of the country. Thats not to say there won't be rainy days in there, but especially for the SE, it does look more average fare finally again.

Also - as of the 7th August the SE is now into the top 50 wettest ever summers, now at rank 45, just a few mm behind 2011 which will be overtaken as of the 8th of Augusts update and with what is on average one of the wetter parts of summer to come still...

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Anyone who says that they actually like this poxy weather wants to try f******' working in it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/08/2021 at 22:15, Evening thunder said:

Interesting that parts of the tropics e.g. the Amazon get sunshine hours not too dissimilar to southern Britain.

It's a bit of a low resolution map. The Met Office one does show a slight tendency towards the SE over the SW.
image.thumb.png.45108f03caa7215d56704bc6e12f3d07.png

Out of interest, has something significant changed with the weather or more your preferences?

Been having a bit of break the past few days, but coming back to the sunshine conversations, but also answering the above, something HAS clearly changed in the weather in this part of the south coast with regards to sunshine. Just look at these numbers, I've just updated the data set from Hurn airport. Annual sunshine amounts here have crashed 7% with Summer taking the brunt, the facts are absolutely undeniable. 

2121778659_BmthSunHours.thumb.PNG.5880d7d6fd48a2368c1446a7a3ade014.PNG

19135477_BmthSeasonalSunHours.thumb.PNG.4fa683fd21af1570cb24f40836d48291.PNG

Posted

Yet more atrocious rubbish. Was ok till about 4pm . Since then temp has gone from 19c to 16c. Heavy rain. Chilly. Just looking at the cricket from Edgbaston and people sat huddled under umbrellas in big winter coats. Disgraceful for August 9th.  

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yet more atrocious rubbish. Was ok till about 4pm . Since then temp has gone from 19c to 16c. Heavy rain. Chilly. Just looking at the cricket from Edgbaston and people sat huddled under umbrellas in big winter coats. Disgraceful for August 9th.  

And I better not mention anything about winter despite loads of mentions above. Before I get accused of trolling (again).