Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I remember this Friday last year! 31st July, one off hot day, mini plume around 31 degrees, higher in SE, turned fresher from the west the next day, normal for late Jul, where the Atlantic takes charge

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I thought yesterday was bad,light rain and mainly drizzle until tea but today is a shocker,Persistant rain the whole day except for maybe a half hour,still raining!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Home to a very agreeable 14c in my bedroom, with no aircon!  Perfect!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A beautiful day here, currently 28°C and clear, with a nice breeze. Perfect, I may indulge in an Aperol Spritz  

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

A beautiful day here, currently 28°C and clear, with a nice breeze. Perfect, I may indulge in an Aperol Spritz  

I’m off to Latvia tomorrow. I think they lost the heat of June and July, so Sod’s law, but it will be still nice to get over there and see the in laws.

• Like 1

Stunning every here! Still near 30C as sun is about to set! 

Still some things never change, the Bournemouth storm shield has taken a trip to coastal Croatia! Lol

6517DCD4-E575-4D14-A248-9FB13A02EB4B.thumb.jpeg.6e957ccbc772bc8dc0742374d2e53648.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn, winter, snow, and thunderstorms.
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I know, it's laughable how these people can't handle a bit of heat, while we have to endure months of chilly damp weather.

Can someone please get Sunny76 on the honour’s list for services to enduring chilly damp weather in Northern Europe? Their struggle deserves the highest recognition.

Edited by Vansvansvans
Autocorrect init
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Regarding climate change, the UK has actually got sunnier as well as wetter over the past 50 years.  The increase in sunshine has been most marked in eastern and southern England, less so in the north-west (though this year is bucking that trend somewhat).  However, the increase in sunshine has been concentrated in winter and spring, and summers haven't been getting any sunnier.

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.7285

The decline of the "global dimming" phenomenon associated with certain types of pollutant blocking out the sun is probably a contributory factor here, especially in winter.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
35 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Regarding climate change, the UK has actually got sunnier as well as wetter over the past 50 years.  The increase in sunshine has been most marked in eastern and southern England, less so in the north-west (though this year is bucking that trend somewhat).  However, the increase in sunshine has been concentrated in winter and spring, and summers haven't been getting any sunnier.

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.7285

The decline of the "global dimming" phenomenon associated with certain types of pollutant blocking out the sun is probably a contributory factor here, especially in winter.

That's quite interesting, and also perhaps preferable in some ways as winter is so dull anyway, any increase in sunshine is better than not. Summer, on average, is quite sunny at least for the south as it is, although an extra 50 hours per month from May-September wouldn't go amiss 

Posted

Now we’ve almost come to the end of July, I’d say Summer 2021 has been not really poor but very bland here. 
June was half good and half bad.
July has been fairly good, okay beginning, great middle and a poor end.

August is setting off abysmally:

86377F3C-EDA7-4CC8-A897-82B699F597FE.thumb.jpeg.642d486dc8b8c1ba7ff0bf4f263b0add.jpeg

Posted

I see some saying summer hasn't been too bad for them, but aside that 8 day heatwave, it has been absolutely filthy on the south coast. Worst since 2012, and if this pattern doesn't break soon, it might even be worse than that.

An out and out dreadful year, virtually nil snow despite more easterlies than ever, springless spring and now this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

And where did you gather this information? Home to work, same folk you normally engage with? I didn't know a single person i was speaking to, i covered a good 75% of England in the last 14 to 20 days. Confirmation that i have a far wider sample of opinions! 

I wasn’t aware you were omnipotent and know where I’ve been and who I’ve spoken to over the past couple of weeks! 

Your talents are clearly wasted on a weather forum

Posted
3 hours ago, Vansvansvans said:

Can someone please get Sunny76 on the honour’s list for services to enduring chilly damp weather in Northern Europe? Their struggle deserves the highest recognition.

You can joke but there are several posters on here who have an aneurysm when the temperature gets above 25 degrees for a couple of days out of 365 and would have you believe the gates of hell have opened over the U.K. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Oh please. Chilly, damp weather for 48 weeks per 52, vs warm sunshine for maybe 4 weeks per 52. Who’re the drama queens, remind me?!

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3

Posted

Looking at your weather preferances i really cannot understand why you live in London.Maybe you should move to Flash,Queensbury or Alston where you would only have to endure 3 days above 27 deg in a five year period!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Now we’ve almost come to the end of July, I’d say Summer 2021 has been not really poor but very bland here. 
June was half good and half bad.
July has been fairly good, okay beginning, great middle and a poor end.

August is setting off abysmally:

86377F3C-EDA7-4CC8-A897-82B699F597FE.thumb.jpeg.642d486dc8b8c1ba7ff0bf4f263b0add.jpeg

Those are dreadful temps for early august, especially with all that cloud.

Posted
3 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Looking at your weather preferances i really cannot understand why you live in London.Maybe you should move to Flash,Queensbury or Alston where you would only have to endure 3 days above 27 deg in a five year period!

I think the plus 25c group who start doom mongering, if it stays warmer than that for more than 3 days, probably need to stay away from the pies and other fattening snacks. 

Most people who can’t handle heat seem to be the folk who have are shall we say ‘of the larger variety’. 

I have seen individuals moan about a little bit of hot weather, but those are the ones knocking back several pints of larger 3 days a week, eating too many hearty meals during the winter months(while not necessarily a bad thing) while doing next to no exercise. Is it any wonder some people can’t handle the heat, when their fitness levels are poor!

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Oh please. Chilly, damp weather for 48 weeks per 52, vs warm sunshine for maybe 4 weeks per 52. Who’re the drama queens, remind me?!

My thoughts exactly. And they get so defensive when challenged.

How anyone can enjoy the current weather during what should be high summer is beyond me!

• Like 1

Posted

As I’ve said before the only time I can really sympathise with people loathing hot weather is when they have to work in it, as I do myself (and I am well aware of Markyo’s job as he keeps bringing it up, so yes, I completely sympathise with him) .

The temperature in my office hit 44 degrees last summer and 38 last week and I was sticking to my chair and complaining haha but as soon as I was home, it was bliss. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

My thoughts exactly. And they get so defensive when challenged.

How anyone can enjoy the current weather during what should be high summer is beyond me!

Yes i thought yesterday was bad but today has been atrocious,how 30 deg and dripping with sweat is worse than today i will never know ,spent 2 days unable to finish a job in this garbage.I am  a little different myself as i like hot sunny days but i also like Cold and snow in winter.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, hillbilly said:

Yes i thought yesterday was bad but today has been atrocious,how 30 deg and dripping with sweat is worse than today i will never know ,spent 2 days unable to finish a job in this garbage.I am  a little different myself as i like hot sunny days but i also like Cold and snow in winter.

A good summer involves many days in the mid to high 20s. It’s never been the ‘happy medium’ of 21-23c with sunshine and a light breeze, that some of them long for. Those type of days are more commonplace in April or early May, or September. Late May to late august, has almost always brought us hot temps when the sun is out, or cloudy humid, or cloudy and cool weather if the sun fails to make an appearance.

The suns strength during this time of year, makes it much more difficult to achieve anything in between. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

As I’ve said before the only time I can really sympathise with people loathing hot weather is when they have to work in it, as I do myself (and I am well aware of Markyo’s job as he keeps bringing it up, so yes, I completely sympathise with him) .

The temperature in my office hit 44 degrees last summer and 38 last week and I was sticking to my chair and complaining haha but as soon as I was home, it was bliss. 

If its that bad,why not get an aircon? I now work in catering and many shops i go in run fish frying ranges and kebab machines behind them,they get horrendously hot and these guys work in them on 12 hour shifts.I have to wear overalls so when it hot i now strip off and just have grots under my overalls and yes drip sweat.I would rather drip sweat in buckets than freeze in winter

Posted
4 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Yes, I enjoy the cold frosty type of days, like we had last winter, and I also enjoy the snow. I hate mild winters,  because they bring boring wind and rain. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

If its that bad,why not get an aircon? I now work in catering and many shops i go in run fish frying ranges and kebab machines behind them,they get horrendously hot and these guys work in them on 12 hour shifts.I have to wear overalls so when it hot i now strip off and just have grots under my overalls and yes drip sweat.I would rather drip sweat in buckets than freeze in winter

Haha I would love to but I’m not in charge unfortunately- though finally our broken heating/air con was flagged as a health and safety risk the other week so hopefully they’re finally going to do something about it.