Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

I’d be interesting to see the rainfall accumulations for this month when comparing the North and Midlands to the South as we’ve hardly had any rain here it seems. 

Indeed. There hasn't been a single drop over here in Brum for at least a couple of weeks now. It has been quite a dry month and my plant need to be manually watered again.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

What an awful outlook. Autumn starting early this year it seems.

As I said last week, enjoy the heat because it'll likely be the last you'll see of it this summer.

The Midlands North looks particularly uninspiring.

Fingers crossed for final week in August for something more seasonal. Long wave suggests not, perhaps something better in September.

Posted
2 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Short and sweet, all petering out now although haven’t been out to look at the sky to see if there is more to come.

Actually never moved over Dudley. I think it was moving just to the SW. Dry as a bone here.

Posted
46 minutes ago, DCee said:

As I said last week, enjoy the heat because it'll likely be the last you'll see of it this summer.

Fingers crossed for final week in August for something more seasonal. Long wave suggests not, perhaps something better in September.

Too late come September. Like winter cold in March! For me personally May to July is the time when summer conditions feel their best. I'm not a fan of August. We are passing the point when their is still an air of long fortune ahead. Can't beat the promise of late spring/ early summer. By August everything has a 'blunt' 'heavy' feel to it.. there is a definate shift in the feel of things as we enter the month. Everything feels jaded and tinged.. weariness sets in!..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, DCee said:

Your a ray of sunshine aren't you!. I bet we get a heatwave in August. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Late August into September can be pleasant. Yes we lose the late evening light but it can be warm all the same. Some perspective please…..

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Aren't Accuweather's seasonal forecasts always mediocre?

They are dreadful usually. In fact usually the complete opposite of what transpires.

Posted

Upto 25th July the entire summer ranks 87th wettest out of 149 in the SE with still over a month of the summer left to go. I'll periodically update it.

An average August would put the SE somewhere in the top 30 region but given how this summer has been so far I'm not hugely optimistic on that front.

On the other side the NW has been very dry overall but the pattern looks very conclusively moving towards a wetter one in up there, though it would take a very wet August to balance out the very dry June....though the models suggest thats at least possible....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
21 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Also up in the north we have had to endure the heat like the south but have not had any storms, so I'm pretty peeved too. No sympathies from me.

I'd be happy if I could to send up the Sussex style of thunderstorms that come through in the small hours and last a good half an hour leaving you tired and groggy for the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
20 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Don’t go down this road…..you won’t win on here apparently 10 hot days a year is far worse than 300 cold ones!

No, it is case of there being a spectrum of alternatives between the two extremes. Unfortunately there seems to be a very narrow minded view on this forum that if you don't like one extreme, that must mean you relish the other, as though a happy medium is nonexistant.

previewimage-kW9X4Y.jpg
WWW.LOGICALLYFALLACIOUS.COM

When only two choices are presented yet more exist, or a spectrum of possible choices exists between two extremes. False dilemmas are usually characterized by “either this or that” language, but...
strawman2.jpg
YOURLOGICALFALLACYIS.COM

You misrepresented someone's argument to make it easier to attack.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Back to rubbish weather, cool and damp, almost totally overcast. 

Same. Poooooo!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 27/07/2021 at 14:16, mountain shadow said:

First proper rain in nigh on three months for me..

Booooo

The Ballywatticock is coming home to roost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
23 hours ago, Azazel said:

I haven't had any storms either.

I never said you did. But at least you got the conditions you enjoyed (hot and sunny) for a week whilst I had to suck it up with no reward storm at the end.

22 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Don’t go down this road…..you won’t win on here apparently 10 hot days a year is far worse than 300 cold ones!

You heat lovers love to exagerate how bad our climate is....

Up here in the north, More like 10 hot days a year, 20 very warm days a year, 75 warm days a year, 100 cool days a year, 130 cold days and 20 very cold days.

20 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Another mediocre seasonal forecast by Accuweather

2021-Europe-Summer-Highlights.jpg?w=632

While wet weather will persist over Ireland, Scotland and northern England through at least June and into July, precipitation is forecast to remain below normal throughout the rest of the season.  (it actually has been drier than average)

Last month ranked among the top-five driest Aprils on record across southern England, and that trend could continue through the rest of May. (May was wet generally)  This theme can continue across parts of the area during the summer, which could cause problems as the growing season kicks off.

Parts of southern England may face difficult growing conditions, similar to France and Germany.  

“Last year was the worst crop of wheat for the U.K. because of a dry start early in the season,” said Roys. This growing season could be similar with below-normal precipitation expected across the Midlands, southern England and Wales.  (It has been a wet summer for SE England so far)

Some wet weather can push into this area in August, but it may be too late for crops, warned Roys. “By that point the damage will be mostly done,” he added.  

With the storm track nearby in Scotland and northern England, precipitation is expected to be closer to normal. (below average up to late July)

Total failure for the UK, the north of the UK did not have a damp start far from it! Don't know about the rest of Europe, although predicting hot conditions for Spain in summer is predicting Man Utd won't get relegated from the Premier League, ie it's pretty much a 100% certainty.

19 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Brilliant here. 26c sunny. Breeze. Proper summer. Making the most of it because the outlook is decidedly Autumn. But then again this is the land of eternal Autumn.  

Glad it's not like that here. Lovely cloud and clag here, and much cooler at 19.2C currently, although feeling rather humid at 75%.

18 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Sorry I was just having a bit of banter, as the repuration of the weather in NI is that it's always overcast and raining, of course that's not the case and can be proven by looking at the climate stats. Belfast is actually quite a bit drier than here in East Lancs surprisingly.

15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Too late come September. Like winter cold in March! For me personally May to July is the time when summer conditions feel their best. I'm not a fan of August. We are passing the point when their is still an air of long fortune ahead. Can't beat the promise of late spring/ early summer. By August everything has a 'blunt' 'heavy' feel to it.. there is a definate shift in the feel of things as we enter the month. Everything feels jaded and tinged.. weariness sets in!..

I disagree. We had a good September last year and an excellent one in 2016. I'm actually a big fan of spring and autumn sun as it doesn't feel as intense as in the summer, it's more of a gentle warmth by then. Also, heat isn't as much as a problem as it's dark by 8 pm which gives the house plenty of time to cool off even if we do get a September heatwave (not often up here).

14 hours ago, Bigdaddydave51 said:

If ou feel cheerful, just come on here. You'll be reaching for the prozac in no time!. How you can right off all of August before its even started is beyond me!. Cmon give mother nature a chance

I agree, way too much negativity on here! Strangely, most of the negativity comes with southerners, who on average have the warmest, driest and sunniest conditions in summer in the UK. I know things are different this year, but still, it hasn't been that bad a summer as some on here are making it out to be.

2 hours ago, al78 said:

I'd be happy if I could to send up the Sussex style of thunderstorms that come through in the small hours and last a good half an hour leaving you tired and groggy for the day.

Envious! Love a good night-time storm, totally worth it even if I lose an hour of sleep. And I'm tired and groggy everyday anyway as I suffer from chronic fatigue, so.

1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

Though theres the odd spot of rain here and there its lovely and warm today 

Yeah despite being overcast and breezy, with the odd spot of rain and only 19C if feels warmer due to higher humidity today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Back to rubbish weather, cool and damp, almost totally overcast. 

48 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Same. Poooooo!!

You two surely can't be moaning already after the glorious week of hot, dry and sunny weather we've just had! Not forgetting the first half of June as well? You do know this is the UK right, not the Med....  

I'm sure we'll get some warm, dry and sunny weather again this year, at least in the South anyway.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I never said you did. But at least you got the conditions you enjoyed (hot and sunny) for a week whilst I had to suck it up with no reward storm at the end.

You've got from August-May to enjoy the conditions you like:)

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You two surely can't be moaning already after the glorious week of hot, dry and sunny weather we've just had! Not forgetting the first half of June as well? You do know this is the UK right, not the Med....  

I'm sure we'll get some warm, dry and sunny weather again this year, at least in the South anyway.

I'm a moan a minute me LOL! That is like 2 weeks of the whole summer mind lol! You've had how many?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes we do know this is not the Med. But one good week doesn’t make a decent summer, would probably need at least another spell like last week to get back to normal. Still not reached 30C, still below average for 25+C days, rainfall already 130% of the entire summer average and sunshine still well below average. 

1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm a moan a minute me LOL! That is like 2 weeks of the whole summer mind lol! You've had how many?

I don’t why we bother, clearly in the minority  in actually liking summer weather. Everyone else gives the impression they are unusually sat around outside in their shorts at 9pm in February having BBQ because they and every single person they come into contact with can’t survive in anything warmer than room temperature. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
34 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I don’t why we bother, clearly in the minority  in actually liking summer weather. Everyone else gives the impression they are unusually sat around outside in their shorts at 9pm in February having BBQ because they and every single person they come into contact with can’t survive in anything warmer than room temperature. 

It’s almost not worth bothering, I’d never heard of people hating sunshine until coming on here. In the UK, no less! Bizarre, but there you go.

A lovely summer day here, good spells of sunshine and 27°C with light winds. Doesn’t feel remotely uncomfortable, didn’t even need the fan on last night. Oh, and Czech homes have walls double the thickness of UK ones, to insulate against the cold in winter. Lord only knows how some of the whingers would cope here? But strangely enough, life goes on as normal, without any visible outbreaks of mass hysteria and melodrama!

• Like 2