Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Oh sleep, my old friend welcome back!  Much cooler today and more pleasant with it.  I hope temps stay roughly where they are now with no more excessive heat.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
15 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

270c at 1pm in Newport county Mayo currently 

That's hot 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Folk seem far less grumpy and more active this weekend than last, more folk about doing stuff and so so much more comfortable. A good summers day!

• Like 5

Feel much better, have cancelled Torquay next weekend and replaced it with Dubrovnik (well a little town about 4miles north) for 4nights. Looks like being low to mid 30s with overnight lows in the mid 20s and SSTs currently sat around 26C - much more appealing. 

Posted

Perfectly useable weather in these parts today - just over 20 degrees, with sunny intervals and a gentle breeze. 

Not sure why people would prefer 30 degrees with ridiculous humidity levels over this? 

• Like 6

30+ is better if you have kids and a decent sized pool to put up!. They shiver less.. I'm always amused at how folks on here love to dismiss an entire month, especially on the charts forum. I'd love to know their success rate!. A week from now, and we could have another heatwave on the horizon. Chill ya beans!! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well today...... today around my neck of the woods has been very nice after a slightly gray start and even that wasnt that bad. Yet last few days forecasting right up till this morning was at best terrible lol.

Forecasts have been rather over dramatized for today IMO lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

I have just been looking at a metcheck forecast who are predicting Thundersnow on Thursday early morning!  I have never heard of this before!  Could someone explain what it is please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Josh Rubio said:

Perfectly useable weather in these parts today - just over 20 degrees, with sunny intervals and a gentle breeze. 

Not sure why people would prefer 30 degrees with ridiculous humidity levels over this? 

See what you mean, but E'lys the pits here, stuck under north sea filth much of the day, tomorrow looks like it won't lift

sunny here is exceptionally rare off E'lys

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Monday seems to be a brief return of very warm/hot with 24-26c being forecast quite widely. Only a few days ago we seemed set for a proper cool off by then!

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2021 249 (up to 22nd July)

If it were to rain everyday, no sunshine and average of maximum of just 15C for the rest of the summer, the index would drop to 170

Above these stinkers

1954 143

1907 147

1956 155

1912 156

1924 158

2012 164

2008 168

1987 169

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
1 hour ago, sarahng said:

I have just been looking at a metcheck forecast who are predicting Thundersnow on Thursday early morning!  I have never heard of this before!  Could someone explain what it is please?

Ignore metcheck 

A very basic explanation is thunder snow occurs in the winter months its a thunderstorm but snow is the main precipitation instead of rain in summer 

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
5 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

Unfortunately i dont have your thermometer and today i dont have your sunshine either.Here in the Pennines it has been mostly dull cloud and temps less than 20 deg and at times working on my roof the breeze picked up a little too much and felt quite chilly in my t shirt.For me i would rather sweat in temps of 30 deg and have sunshine than today,really didnt feel like summer to me certainly compared to what we had just a couple of days ago.Also to note we havnt had temps above 30 deg here so if you are withering away at 34 deg in the south and cannot stand it move up here and buy a house on the hilltops where you would be hard pushed to get anything above 25 deg  and only 10 calm days a year!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

Because believe it or not, some people have different preferences to yourself. Mental I know.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful day here in Prague, reached 27°C with plenty of sunshine. Sat outside now enjoying a cuppa and it’s still 22°C at 23:30, lovely. Severe thunderstorm warnings for tomorrow, been an exciting and dramatic storm season here and hoping to see more severe weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Much cooler today with a high of around 19C and it stayed dry and cloudy all day. Much better. Bedroom temp now down to a much more comfortable 23C, no need for my fan today.  

If the temps stay below 25C for the rest of the summer then I'll be one happy chappie. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
27 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Much cooler today with a high of around 19C and it stayed dry and cloudy all day. Much better. Bedroom temp now down to a much more comfortable 23C, no need for my fan today.  

If the temps stay below 25C for the rest of the summer then I'll be one happy chappie. 

Yes last night was first time in over a week I didn't wake up sweating from head to toe. Long may it continue

• Like 4

Posted
On 23/07/2021 at 22:28, davehsug said:

I would dispute that. Whilst not as hot as some spells in recent years, I know that my own experience, and that of friends is that the current one has taken a much heavier toll. Whether it's the humidity or a lack of breeze I don't know, but this has not been a particularly pleasant spell.

It's certainly been more prolonged than any heatwave we've had since 2018. It's just dragged on and on. I was listening to a Met Office podcast today about the warnings, and they brought up the "nanny state" argument, and they said it's not just about the headline temperatures, it's also about how warm the nights are, the duration of the heatwave and how hot it is relative to average. For example, 3 days of 30C by day and 18C by night in London is not a major cause for concern as most Londonders are used to getting that at least once every summer. Just like how people in Spain are used to at least a few days of high 30's/low 40's once a year. Whereas 30C by day and 20C by night for somewhere like Northern Ireland would be a huge deal, as thier average summer high is only around 19C, much cooler than London.

15 hours ago, 78/79 said:

Quite looking forward to September,/October you can have some really nice weather without the oppressive heat. 

Can't beat a 15C and sunny day in Spring/Autumn.

14 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Are you 2 for real? It’s still plenty warm enough for shorts!!! At least indoors!

Yep, still 23C in my bedroom, way too warm for trousers!

14 hours ago, DIS1970 said:

If some people like complaining about the past "heat", then see if they open up and comment when the atlantic conveyor belt switch is flicked on.

People will moan about whatever they like, I have moaned about heat as well as unseasonably cool temperatures and rain in the past, and will do so again.

13 hours ago, Daniel Miller said:

Contrary, shorts and rain go together like soup and a spoon! 

Yep, legs are more waterproof than trousers! I'd rather my legs got wet than have to sit about in soggy jeans all day.

13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I really hope this isn’t the state of play for the next few weeks. I don’t mind a cool down, but I don’t want to lose the sunshine as a side affect of lower temps.

Can't have your cake and eat it with UK Summers unfortunately (well most of the time anyway). If the UK summer was just constant low 20's and sun then barely anyone would moan (except perhaps from sheer boredom).

11 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

A very very poor autumnal summer month with endless Northern blocking is long overdue anyway. When was the last time we had one? 2012?? Nine years ago....Oh well ten months to go untill Summer begins, yippee cant wait.  

We've had plenty of poor summer months in recent years, esspecially in NW England. July 2015, July 2016, July and August 2017, June 2019, July 2020, just to name a few.

8 hours ago, Alderc said:

Feel much better, have cancelled Torquay next weekend and replaced it with Dubrovnik (well a little town about 4miles north) for 4nights. Looks like being low to mid 30s with overnight lows in the mid 20s and SSTs currently sat around 26C - much more appealing. 

Sounds like disgusting horrendous heat to me but if that's what you enjoy.... I'd much rather have Torquay myself. Anyway, 4 miles north??? With SST's of 26C it must be somewhere abroad!

5 hours ago, sarahng said:

Thunder when it snows! Won't happen at this time of year though unless you live in the scottish mountains!

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Beautiful day here in Prague, reached 27°C with plenty of sunshine. Sat outside now enjoying a cuppa and it’s still 22°C at 23:30, lovely. Severe thunderstorm warnings for tomorrow, been an exciting and dramatic storm season here and hoping to see more severe weather.

Ugh, sounds horribly hot to me, hope you have decent AC... It's been a lovely cool fresh cloudy day here with a high of around 19C, currently around 14C, so much better for sleeping.  

A cloudy breezy 19C is so much better than a hot humid sunny 27C imo.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Currently a balmy 23C here.....

Spoiler

In my bedroom!

Posted

Met Office podcast discussing the new heat warnings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
16 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It's certainly been more prolonged than any heatwave we've had since 2018. It's just dragged on and on. I was listening to a Met Office podcast today about the warnings, and they brought up the "nanny state" argument, and they said it's not just about the headline temperatures, it's also about how warm the nights are, the duration of the heatwave and how hot it is relative to average. For example, 3 days of 30C by day and 18C by night in London is not a major cause for concern as most Londonders are used to getting that at least once every summer. Just like how people in Spain are used to at least a few days of high 30's/low 40's once a year. Whereas 30C by day and 20C by night for somewhere like Northern Ireland would be a huge deal, as thier average summer high is only around 19C, much cooler than London.

People will moan about whatever they like, I have moaned about heat as well as unseasonably cool temperatures and rain in the past, and will do so again.

Yep, legs are more waterproof than trousers! I'd rather my legs got wet than have to sit about in soggy jeans all day.

Can't have your cake and eat it with UK Summers unfortunately (well most of the time anyway). If the UK summer was just constant low 20's and sun then barely anyone would moan (except perhaps from sheer boredom).

We've had plenty of poor summer months in recent years, esspecially in NW England. July 2015, July 2016, July and August 2017, June 2019, July 2020, just to name a few.

Sounds like disgusting horrendous heat to me but if that's what you enjoy.... I'd much rather have Torquay myself. Anyway, 4 miles north??? With SST's of 26C it must be somewhere abroad!

Thunder when it snows! Won't happen at this time of year though unless you live in the scottish mountains!

Ugh, sounds horribly hot to me, hope you have decent AC... It's been a lovely cool fresh cloudy day here with a high of around 19C, currently around 14C, so much better for sleeping.  

My god what a monologue, had to get new contacts to read all that, f.f.s

Edited by Wold Topper
Bored

18 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I did say swapped Torquay for Dubrovnik…..so yes abroad. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I did say swapped Torquay for Dubrovnik…..so yes abroad. 

It was just the four miles north bit that confused me... Four miles north of where?

Posted
21 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

My god what a monologue, had to get new contacts to read all that, f.f.s

Sorry, I do tend to be a bit long-winded with the posts sometimes!  To be fair though I haven't posted today till now.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

Sorry, I do tend to be a bit long-winded with the posts sometimes! To be fair though I haven't posted today till now.

No need to apologise chief, but yeah it was a long winded post lol

• Like 1