Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
50 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Beautiful day but was hot walking around. ☀️30C in Dartmoor. The best spell of 2021 so far. 
I find the ‘extreme heat warning’ excessive. This heatwave is tame compared to what we had in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

Actually found this spell much more oppressive than any time in 2018,19 or 20. Lot more humid i've found. To be honest 2018 was a really good summer heat wise,nothing that uncomfortable in my area, just the lack of rain for the countryside resulted in a scorched earth appearance!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Gotta say I always hope for a school holiday washout. Hate kids and yobbos, hopefully a wet, cool August will keep the blighters off the streets.

• Like 6

Posted
56 minutes ago, markyo said:

Actually found this spell much more oppressive than any time in 2018,19 or 20. Lot more humid i've found. To be honest 2018 was a really good summer heat wise,nothing that uncomfortable in my area, just the lack of rain for the countryside resulted in a scorched earth appearance!

2018 was a great summer, sunny but comfortable unlike this week which has been disgusting 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Gotta say I always hope for a school holiday washout. Hate kids and yobbos, hopefully a wet, cool August will keep the blighters off the streets.

Humbug 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

certainly expect north sea filth tomorrow, today it was completely grey when it rolled in around 8am, cleared fully around 11.30

I'm calling the end of the summer after this warm spell ends at the weekend. End of July looks awful and the pattern will likely remain for a further three to four weeks typically, if not longer. September will be our best bet for calmer weather. August looks like a write off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
1 hour ago, sundog said:

I belive northern Ireland may have broken its warmest temp record today. A provisional temp of 31.3c at Castlederg, beating the previous record set on Saturday by 0.1c

Previous record didn’t even last a week and this new record may not last 24 hours

• Like 1

Posted

I normally like fine summer weather followed by thunderstorms , like we used to get in the 80's and 90's ,  but this spell has been just horrific heat here ,  and storms are not even a cert anymore .    30c plus all week .  hard to sleep ,  and even harder to work , get about 2,00pm in the afternoon and its purgatory

loose interest in doing more work ,  roll on Saturday    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

Yes, the only problem with good weather is that it tends to bring out unruly screaming kids and pesky wasps unfortunately. I can't stand wasps.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
21 minutes ago, DCee said:

I'm calling the end of the summer after this warm spell ends at the weekend. End of July looks awful and the pattern will likely remain for a further three to four weeks typically, if not longer. September will be our best bet for calmer weather. August looks like a write off.

I originally went for a plume riddled August this year, resulting in our warmest summer 2021 month. But now I am not so sure.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes, the only problem with good weather is that it tends to bring out unruly screaming kids

That could also apply to a weather forum as well. 

Magnificent day here, once again! 30.7°C reached.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

That could also apply to a weather forum as well. 

Magnificent day here, once again! 30.7°C reached.

Oh yes, plenty of that on here. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

There's definitely a case that hot weather gives some people the idea that they have a licence to be utter knobs and completely forget that they live in the vicinity of others.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

HP slap bang over the country with light winds will always send temperatures into the upper 20s 6 weeks either side of the summer solstice. It's nothing new. I remember plenty of such spells over the years. Insolation is strong enough to rapidly warm the surface layer.

Also, I'm not sure why people are surprised by the lack of thundery weather with it. Ridging Azores HP or HP across the UK rarely deliver the conditions necessary for storms. For that you either need a proper plume event (HP to east LP to WSW) or low pressure pushing up from the S against a weakening HP just to our N. The other option is a slack trough situation across the UK with diurnally driven convection.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
40 minutes ago, DCee said:

Not if La Niña takes off. Think August 2017 followed by September 2017...

Enjoying what’s likely to be the last hot evening of the year (working tomorrow) BBQ, beers and just lounging around in shorts and T-shirt with feeling chilly. Amazing! 

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

1 hour ago, saintkip said:

2018 was a great summer, sunny but comfortable unlike this week which has been disgusting 

I thought I was the only one thinking this.

I enjoyed summer 2018 but I have not really enjoyed this spell. 

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Enjoying what’s likely to be the last hot evening of the year (working tomorrow) BBQ, beers and just lounging around in shorts and T-shirt with feeling chilly. Amazing! 

Dont worry. We've only got to wait 9 more months until the next beer and shorts evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

I would be much happier next week with low to mid 20s as long as it stays dry most days. The charts seem to show this is a possibility. No one can really enjoy this 30C, high humidity in the UK surely?

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I thought I was the only one thinking this.

I enjoyed summer 2018 but I have not really enjoyed this spell. 

I'm no heat lover but found summer 2018 fine aswell. That also came after a cool spring spell so its not as though its down to acclimatising or anything. Its just the humidity has been very high. Here for example the minimum humidity for the last 8 days:

14th: 72%
15th: 68%
16th: 62%
17th: 51%
18th: 62%
19th: 66%
20th: 66%
21st: 70%

The majority of the time it has been in the 70-75% range. The only day it dropped slightly was the 17th, but it was 29C then.

Its just been awful.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Vestan said:

I would be much happier next week with low to mid 20s as long as it stays dry most days. The charts seem to show this is a possibility. No one can really enjoy this 30C, high humidity in the UK surely?

I actually do like it. I was in the office today (no air con). It was a bit sweaty but I dont do a physical job so I suppose not so bad for me. I just like the warm evenings more than anything when you cant feel a chill on the arms and legs and sit outside the pub feeling nice and relaxed. Each to their own i suppose.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
1 hour ago, Northwest NI said:

Previous record didn’t even last a week and this new record may not last 24 hours

Yes looks like a pretty significant spell for both NI and the ROI.. does anyone know what the temperature has reached in the ROI during this spell?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
Just now, Bigdaddydave51 said:

Such misery guts!. No one can tell the weather a week accurately from now.Dont write off August yet!. 

Yes, exactly.  Was watching Gavin Partridges update earlier and yes, the 2 week outlook is indeed very poor generally but you always get a lot of scatter at this range anyway, and then still 4 weeks of summer after that which is in my view absolutely up for grabs.  (Ie no one knows)  Yes it could be poor, but equally we may get another heatwave, or hopefully a cracking plume event..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I still think a widespread thunderstorm will happen sometime in the third week of august. Similar to the 1987 storms that swept the majority of England and Wales on Friday and Saturday august 21-22nd 1987.