Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Had 5 hours of sunshine between 12:30 and 17:30 today where i am in the South East. A very nice welcome change from the usual grey doom. I am off work next week too and i hear that there could be a few very nice days so i am praying it happens!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Such a shame after August that we are going to have to put up with a heatwave for a few days.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 hours ago, Azazel said:

Haha yeah, in the winter i'm usually sat here in thermals, jumpers, hoodies and a coat with a hot water bottle and fingerless gloves as it gets down to anywhere between 2-8 degrees in here.

Just a t-shirt, longsleeve and a jumper today though and I'm just about managing now the windows are shut.

You must work in a shipping container then...you'd be hard pushed to get any UK building that low in temp without deliberately trying! i can only get my bedroom down to 8c in a beast from the East with my windows open all day! And i never never have any heating on upstairs!

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

Had 5 hours of sunshine between 12:30 and 17:30 today where i am in the South East. A very nice welcome change from the usual grey doom. I am off work next week too and i hear that there could be a few very nice days so i am praying it happens!

Where were you? Nothing on East Sussex coast skies cleared as it got dark typical. Literally seen minutes of sun this week so far, this is very atypical come here multiple times every year it’s more fitting of when we’re down here in late October even then I expect more sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

Such a shame after August that we are going to have to put up with a heatwave for a few days.

Its going to be at best average for this time of year,not a heatwave!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Where were you? Nothing on East Sussex coast skies cleared as it got dark typical. Literally seen minutes of sun this week so far, this is very atypical come here multiple times every year it’s more fitting of when we’re down here in late October even then I expect more sunshine.

I am not too far from Southend area. We don't do too badly for sunshine here normally but first time i have seen it today for what seems like almost a week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

We’ve had a pretty decent summer in the west of Scotland. Above average sunshine, above average warmth, below average rainfall. Can’t ask for any more! 

The moans of the model thread about lack of good weather don’t apply to all of us.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Lol seriously? It's only going to last 5 minutes anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
36 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

We’ve had a pretty decent summer in the west of Scotland. Above average sunshine, above average warmth, below average rainfall. Can’t ask for any more! 

The moans of the model thread about lack of good weather don’t apply to all of us.

This just confirms what you say.

FBA97A9A-F8E9-4570-8811-CAF240BF766C.png

F993D592-3AEF-4A1B-8F1A-FB299260B6A0.png

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, al78 said:

Yes is was. My only regret is that I didn't get to the summit of any Munros, but even lower level walks over bealachs can provide superb scenery. The weather was too hot for me on the first couple of days which is why I had to change my backpacking route to one with less ascent.

As I've got older (and much less fit) I now appreciate a less strenuous route with more time to really look at stuff like geology, history, wildlife and so forth.  I am now happy to bimble around doing local stuff I would have dismissed when I was churning through the Munros. It leaves you now with an excuse to go back .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 02/09/2021 at 20:16, summer blizzard said:

Nothing to be bothered about in September. The sun doesn't get high enough to really heat the house up and cause overnight heat discomfort. Very different from July.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, markyo said:

You must work in a shipping container then...you'd be hard pushed to get any UK building that low in temp without deliberately trying! i can only get my bedroom down to 8c in a beast from the East with my windows open all day! And i never never have any heating on upstairs!

If we leave our windows open during daytime temps of 14c or less, the flat becomes very cold. The thermostat will drop  to 13-15c quite easily, which makes the flat damp and unhealthy.

If daytime temps are 10c or colder, we only open the windows for half an hour or so a day, because it becomes far too cold.

Like I said before, the flat is north facing only and poorly insulated, plus it’s an old victorian house. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
11 hours ago, markyo said:

Yep, I work in a tin/metal office, north facing on-top of an engineering warehouse with no heating. It's roasting hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter.

Posted
15 hours ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

How does it get to somewhere between 2 and 8C inside in winter (in an office I assume)? 

Even with no heating on you'll normally maintain a warmer temperature than that indoors, probably around 12C .

I once went away for three weeks over Christmas and New Year, forgot to leave the heating on, came back home in -5C temperatures with deep snow outside (which had been lying for a week) and the temperature indoors was about 10C when I arrived back in the morning. 

Admittedly the walls remained cold for a couple of days even when the air temperature returned to normal.

It must be a drafty building.

Because it's not a cushty, comfortable, corporate office building. It's a metal box stuck onto a warehouse.

Posted
56 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Because it's not a cushty, comfortable, corporate office building. It's a metal box stuck onto a warehouse.

Ah, ok, I understand, thanks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

What's the rain potential with the heatwave? 

I have a sash window and I usually leave the A/C hoses mounted in the adaptor and close the window on it. Trouble is when storms happen - it leaks in under the adaptor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Nothing to be bothered about in September. The sun doesn't get high enough to really heat the house up and cause overnight heat discomfort. Very different from July.

The sun goes down earlier so even if it reached 32C during the day at this time of year, there will be longer period after sunset for the temperature outside to drop, so opening windows early evening will cool the house sufficiently to be able to comfortably sleep.

I don't see it getting that hot in the next week, 26C for Horsham which is what it should have reached at least once last month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

My perception since 2003 is that August has often been a letdown summer month. Obviously in the SE almost the entire summer this year was poor, but I'm curious why in the last couple of decades, August has frequently felt like an early start to Autumn than the height of summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
10 hours ago, Norrance said:

This just confirms what you say.

FBA97A9A-F8E9-4570-8811-CAF240BF766C.png

F993D592-3AEF-4A1B-8F1A-FB299260B6A0.png

Pretty sure we’ll pay for this next summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just a reminder that we have a thread to discuss Autumn here:

If your post has disappeared from the summer thread, it's probably because we've moved it to the Autumn one!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Maybe I need to get out more, but I am curious as to who ends up making the last post in this thread before it gets archived. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A brief overview of summer in Doncaster

Two months above average temperatures, two months below average rainfall, and yes below average August temperature, similar with the sun but below average rainfall.

So like my school reports 'could be/do better' but above average for temperature, rainfall about average with one wet and two dry. My perception of the sun is a bad August but not bad otherwise. (I have no sunshine recorder).