Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

What on earth are you waffling on about?

It has been poor for many in the South and Southeast. What's so problematic about sharing that fact?

my point is it should be in this thread not the model thread...but everyday you go in to learn and scroll through endless moaning and endless plume posts because 1 operational shows it, followed by more moaning after the following run doesn't! how is anyone supposed to learn and improve knowledge. I'm ok with models but honestly sometimes it's beyond desperate. if it was winter people would be moved left right and centre to the moans thread. I recommend this site to so many people who have an interest and it's been very poor last couple of months. the weather has been benign yes but worth the endless moaning about grey skies???? 

Posted
3 hours ago, Monkeypants said:

…shame the IMBY posting regarding SE has ruined summer forum as well.

What did you expect to see? Isn’t that precisely what this thread is for? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
On 01/09/2021 at 21:53, Monkeypants said:

my point is it should be in this thread not the model thread...but everyday you go in to learn and scroll through endless moaning and endless plume posts because 1 operational shows it, followed by more moaning after the following run doesn't! how is anyone supposed to learn and improve knowledge. I'm ok with models but honestly sometimes it's beyond desperate. if it was winter people would be moved left right and centre to the moans thread. I recommend this site to so many people who have an interest and it's been very poor last couple of months. the weather has been benign yes but worth the endless moaning about grey skies???? 

How about using the report button to alert the team (if we're online) if you think a post shouldn't be in there?

This isn't a full-time job.. we pop on here much like everybody else does, we don't necessarily check each thread when we do come on. We need to be alerted, and that's why the report button exists.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 01/09/2021 at 21:53, Monkeypants said:

It is ever thus, the long standing members on here have one set of rules, like a closed shop were they can post outside the 'forum rules' with a blind eye turned, whilst newer members trying to learn and understand feel put off from posting due to ridicule or patronisation, we all have to start somewhere?

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mac_SE said:

What did you expect to see? Isn’t that precisely what this thread is for? 

this thread yes mate. but the main model thread no. that's my point and why it was set up about 2 years ago to move the dung onto this page and leave the more detailed analysis on the model thread

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

How about using the report button to alert the team (if we're online) if you think a post shouldn't be in there?

This isn't a full-time job.. we pop on here much like everybody else does, we don't necessarily check each thread when we do come on. We need to be alerted, and that's why the report button exists.

don't want anyone to get in trouble I'm just having bad day I guess. it wasn't a dig at the mods. just wanted to chill with a coffee and get stuck into some model reading etc and had a but if a "man-trum"

Posted
2 minutes ago, Monkeypants said:

this thread yes mate. but the main model thread no. that's my point and why it was set up about 2 years ago to move the dung onto this page and leave the more detailed analysis on the model thread

Ah, ok, got you. And yes, agreed. Have been less and less into that thread over the last 10 years for that very reason.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mac_SE said:

Ah, ok, got you. And yes, agreed. Have been less and less into that thread over the last 10 years for that very reason.

was such a great place to learn a few years back. it was packed full of weather guru's 

• Like 1

Posted

Well, this area of the world has just had the best summer since records began in 1884 according to the BBC. The driest, warmest and sunniest.

Overall Scotland had the 4th best summer but the West of Scotland was better than that and Glasgow area was the best since record began.

This coincided here in Loch Lomond with a very large number of visitors this year  even if they were mostly passing through to places further north. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 01/09/2021 at 23:01, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

Well, this area of the world has just had the best summer since records began in 1884 according to the BBC. The driest, warmest and sunniest.

Overall Scotland had the 4th best summer but the West of Scotland was better than that and Glasgow area was the best since record began.

This coincided here in Loch Lomond with a very large number of visitors this year  even if they were mostly passing through to places further north. 

It makes a nice change tbh, the south can't hog the nice weather every year, the way some post on here you would think they have faced an ice age lol...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

Surprised warmest driest and sunniest.. 1976 not better? 

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Surprised warmest driest and sunniest.. 1976 not better? 

They didn't go into specifics other than stating that (for the Glasgow area )

It has not felt really hot like 1976 or 1995 but more a case of most days being in the early 20s and very dry. 

For info, though 1976 was hot here, 1995 was hotter still and I think the best summer Scotland as a whole had in a hundred years.

Posted

The Times  is saying the hottest on record  (since 1884) and driest since 1869  but no mention of the sunniest. 

I assume they are using the Glasgow Bishopton weather station which is roughly halfway between me and Glasgow.

Regardless, its been bloody good in this little corner of the UK 

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F
WWW.THETIMES.CO.UK

Glasgow — the host city for the Cop26 climate change conference — has just had its hottest summer on record and its driest in more than 150 years.The Met Offi

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lol even Scotland gets to join in the fun this morning, worryingly despite the slight change in airmass over the weekend some of the models keep it cloudy right through the weekend, when will this nightmare end? 

46E8E1F4-811D-49EB-B6C7-1F33F9FE2D70.thumb.jpeg.06791973c0e202d77076700060855733.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
34 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Lol even Scotland gets to join in the fun this morning, worryingly despite the slight change in airmass over the weekend some of the models keep it cloudy right through the weekend, when will this nightmare end? 

46E8E1F4-811D-49EB-B6C7-1F33F9FE2D70.thumb.jpeg.06791973c0e202d77076700060855733.jpeg

Awful, isn't it?  Yet another grey, dismal morning.  I almost cried when I saw the sky this morning!  I wonder whether the Red Arrows will go ahead?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sarahng said:

Awful, isn't it?  Yet another grey, dismal morning.  I almost cried when I saw the sky this morning!  I wonder whether the Red Arrows will go ahead?

Cloud base will be high enough for the flat displays, full displays for the fast jets unlikely. Looking at the the output this morning we might not see any decent sunny spells until Monday or Tuesday.

Posted

freezing this morning. Colleague has all the windows in the office wide open because he struggles in temperatures of more than 10 degrees.

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

We've had a few cloudy or misty mornings recently here but mostly it has become sunny,  or at least sunny spells, by late morning or lunchtime, and that is what is forecast to happen today.

Except for a few spots forecast this Sunday evening,  there's looking like no rain in the week ahead and it is looking sunny at least some of the time and that is all you can really ask for in this part of the world. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

freezing this morning. Colleague has all the windows in the office wide open because he struggles in temperatures of more than 10 degrees.

Didn’t realise you and markyo worked together!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

It's so depressing. Our island is a cloud magnet.

We must have had one of the worst summers in the world this year, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. At least places with similar climates (e.g. Western coastal Canada) had extreme heat this summer. The SE had a whole lot of nothingness.. ☁️ 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just a reminder that we do have an Autumn thread to discuss the current season!

Posted
19 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

It's so depressing. Our island is a cloud magnet.

We must have had one of the worst summers in the world this year, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. At least places with similar climates (e.g. Western coastal Canada) had extreme heat this summer. The SE had a whole lot of nothingness.. ☁️ 

Latvia wasn't great either.

They had a warm sunny June, and hot July, but by the time we came to visit my partner's family the weather started going downhill, apart from the first weekend, which saw 25-26c. The rest of August was cloudy, with thunderstorms, and at times quite chilly. Not as bad as the Southern UK, but it wasn't great over there.

I just hope we can get back there for December and January, as there is usually a guarantee of snow, even in a mild winter. Last winter they had very high levels of snow.