Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

In about another  4 hours or  so this poxy Summer will be dead , and buried .  Good riddance  to bad rubbish.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well, another summer over, always such a wistful and slightly depressing feeling as autumn beckons. There are aspects of every season that I like, though spring and summer are my favourites. I’d give summer here an 8/10, pretty decent overall with some epic thunderstorms. Definitely no more than a 2/10 though for summer in my hometown near Heathrow, what a miserable excuse for a ‘season’ there.

• Like 3

Posted

Came in here expecting to read summaries on Summer 2021, alas lots of posts about christmas weather - not the place for that!

Alas, it's been a fairly good summer here. We've done well for sunshine and dry weather, long spells of usable conditions for outdoor activities. Overall though quite mixed, best spell was the week in late July. August has been very dissapointing once again though especially on the sunshine and temperature front. Little in the way of thunder once again..

For dry sunny weather a 7 out of 10. For warmth a 6 out of 10.

• Like 2

Posted

I tend to stick to the same veg growing timings each year, the results of course reflect the weather. For comparison, runner beans and tomatoes are a full 6 weeks behind last year. This time last year my tomatoes had finished (20th August plants ripped out) and this year there will be many unfinished fruits and flowers. Runners only started cropping last week, despite the plants being 4.5 months old. 

Temperatures have been steady and actually quite reasonable in the Swindon area this summer, propped up with mild nights. Cloud cover has been absolutely awful, the worst of the worst I suspect. Rainfall pretty average, we were lucky to narrowly avoid the ridiculous wet summer the south east suffered. 

In the summer, cloud cover is a really important measure of how good or bad it's been. It's been absolutely diabolical, endless days of overcast skies in each of the summer months. There is little to be said for the summer in this part of the country, it was a big disappointment. And with no late summer on the cards, it seems it's well and truly over. Also, note to myself, I'm never looking at the model discussion ever again, because it is pretty worthless as a thread. Day 10 is all anyone ever mentioned. I viewed the thread to maybe get an idea of day 3 to 7, but nobody was bothered by that because it wasn't great. Instead the entire summer people spent looking at day 10, which was as much use as reading tea leaves to find out if it's going to rain at 3pm in Norwich. You live and learn. The met office 10 day trend videos are far more use and much more honest that utter nonsense in the model thread! Rant over.

What's kept it real for me is the disgusting heatwaves globally, and the forest fires keeping people indoors for weeks and months, unable to breathe the air. We probably didn't do that badly really 

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Your very lucky then, i struggle to remember where i was last week, who i spoke to, which clients they where and certainly what weather i had!!. 

It’s just me though. My cousin and partner find it odd how I remember random things.

I also remember watching films from when I was a child. The ending of The Black Hole(1979) is one of them. 

Very weird ending btw. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 31/08/2021 at 20:58, 78/79 said:

In about another  4 hours or  so this poxy Summer will be dead , and buried .  Good riddance  to bad rubbish.

Sounds like a New Year's Eve party.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s just me though. My cousin and partner find it odd how I remember random things.

I also remember watching films from when I was a child. The ending of The Black Hole(1979) is one of them. 

Very weird ending btw. 

It's nae only you. I can remember getting stuck with safety pins when having my nappy changed, and being told to 'keep still'! I can also remember daytime darkness (along with thunder, lightning and hail) during the summer of 1959!

Posted

At the very beginning of the end of July hot spell, when the clouds finally parted after a miserable spell, I couldn’t wait for summer to begin in earnest. Little did I know how short and miserably poor it would be for us in the SE. And as a big fan of clear blue skies and a decent bit of warmth, I most definitely feel cheated. 

So, I’m giving summer ‘21 one out of ten, simply for the isolated hot spell.

Roll on summer ‘22, hopefully after a decent snowy winter and a cracking spring. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Although i prefer to use the astronomical seasons, so summer hasn't ended for me yet, i would still say this summer has been about as enjoyable as chewing broken glass. As i have said before, its not the temperatures i have been disappointed by but the sheer lack of sunlight. It has been utterly pathetic in the South East and you could record more sunshine in the Mariana trench than what we have had here. Vile.

• Like 8

Posted

I find it somewhat hilarious that we are under a high with 850hpa temps around 10-15c, but its cloudy with temperatures around 17-21c. How unlucky.

August 2021 probably the most depressing summer month I've endured. At least it's not been warm and muggy. As for the whole summer, well we started off promising and ending on a low note. A 5/10. Summer 2020 was better.  

• Like 2

Posted

Meteorological Summer 2021 for south Derbyshire

June - warm dry first half, cool wet second half

July - mixed; thundery wet early, hot dry middle, cool wet end

August - dull mild (least variable I’ve ever known)

Utterly crap summer. 

And September looks woeful too, after the two to three day calm spell we look like piling straight into Autumn for at least six to seven months of mild, wet and windy weather...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst the first half of September isn't exactly looking great, at least it is looking somewhat more variable than of late, as opposed to constant nothingness day in day out. I wouldn't mind a bit of rain too seeing as my area hasn't really had that much lately - just as long as it doesn't go on for too long though. I do hope we'll get some calm sunny days accompanied by cold misty nights later on this month though.

• Like 2

Summer was a poor one, very dull, very wet, average mean temps dragged up by milder nights. The lack TS activity was a major downer as well. I can’t give summer than 2 out of 10 especially as personally nearly every outdoor event I had planned was ruined. 

Posted
8 hours ago, Frigid said:

I find it somewhat hilarious that we are under a high with 850hpa temps around 10-15c, but its cloudy with temperatures around 17-21c. How unlucky.

August 2021 probably the most depressing summer month I've endured. At least it's not been warm and muggy. As for the whole summer, well we started off promising and ending on a low note. A 5/10. Summer 2020 was better.  

You obviously don't remember August 2008 then- it was considerably duller in our area in terms of sunshine amounts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

2021 was not a bad summer, in my opinion: it was never cold or too wet, and the lack (for the most part) of any extreme heat/sunshine meant that polytunnel work was viable, most of the time. A stark contrast to the past three years, in which the only thing was to stay in the open air.

We don't all want to spend our entire lives sunning ourselves on the nearest beach!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

2021 was not a bad summer, in my opinion: it was never cold or too wet, and the lack (for the most part) of any extreme heat/sunshine meant that polytunnel work was viable, most of the time. A stark contrast to the past three years, in which the only thing was to stay in the open air.

We don't all want to spend our entire lives sunning ourselves on the nearest beach!

I agree that not everybody wants to spend time on the beach - personally I hate going to the beach and never do!  However, I DO expect to be able to enjoy my garden in the summer, sitting out and eating dinner outside.  We didn't eat outside once this year as it was never warm enough, sunny enough and windless enough on the same day!  Pretty miserable summer for us on the South Coast.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Summer '21 has not been one for the memory banks, being neither hot, sunny or wet but rather just meh most of the time.

I'm going to give it a 4 or 5 out of 10 as its been way too cloudy, but on the flip side not much rain, so I have still been able to get outside and do things..a season of usable weather if nothing else!

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

This summer was appalling for sunshine levels, and not long sustained warmth. Too many depressing cloudy days, which made it feel like October between June and August.

I do like the beach and sea, but also enjoy going to the park or river walks. These are all more enjoyable when the sun is out and its reasonably warm. Nothing worse than dull cloudy weather with a nagging wind, which has been the case on and off this summer. May was also very bad, so we didn't even benefit from a decent one this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Really hope there are no downgrades to this late burst of warmth/heat next week. If it goes ahead, September’s maximum will be higher than August... although given how homogenous August has been that wouldn’t be hard at all anyway.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

This summer was appalling for sunshine levels, and not long sustained warmth. Too many depressing cloudy days, which made it feel like October between June and August.

I do like the beach and sea, but also enjoy going to the park or river walks. These are all more enjoyable when the sun is out and its reasonably warm. Nothing worse than dull cloudy weather with a nagging wind, which has been the case on and off this summer. May was also very bad, so we didn't even benefit from a decent one this year.

*May and August.

Autumn genuinely arrived in May this year - leaves began to turn and I saw a lot of fungus growth in the normal spots which usually wouldn't see anything until September earliest.

We had Winter until March. One day of Spring and then Winter again through April, before Autumn arrived in May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

So much for hoping the cloud would break a bit more easily this morning….

image.thumb.png.819ebce411835af61603cdf2e040a68f.png

Apparently easterly winds are so powerful now that even sheltered western areas can't catch a break...utter filth

Posted
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.819ebce411835af61603cdf2e040a68f.png

Apparently easterly winds are so powerful now that even sheltered western areas can't catch a break...utter filth

The North Sea winds have been quite dominant and more stubborn to shift. If this continues into winter, it will be very cold. The Atlantic will most likely return at some point.