Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I'm in Salford and so far it has been mostly cloudy and dull this week with the sun not coming out until mid afternoon. On Monday I decided to take advantage of the forecast anticyclone centred over the UK to climb some of the Cardennau mountains in Wales. I couldn't be bothered getting more than three quarters of the way up with the ridge ahead under thick clag and drizzle that looked like it was set in for the day (it actually lowered during the morning). This morning has started off overcast again. What a waste of an anticyclone.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Looks like another day of limping towards 20C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

What if heights centred to the NW became a new normal in summer due climate change, ice melt and more fresh water in N Atlantic? From an IMBY point of view it would make for more settled reliable summers but obviously the large majority of the population from midlands South would not enjoy that. 
For what it’s worth I don’t believe it to be anything other than a quirk from this year and expect normal service to be resumed in the years following this with my envious eyes cast towards the SE ☀️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Finally it looks like we may get a sustained period of lovely weather in the southwest, even looks to be getting a little warmer later this week and next.  Really feel for those in the southeast, we have been right with you on this poor summer and I'm really hoping you don't get too much cloud from the east and the sun shines again for you  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Another day of epic dullness with the odd spot of drizzle thrown in .Just sums up what most of this summer has been about.

I'm with you today @NEVES SCREAMER....was just the right side of this filth yesterday and had a lovely day, but the southern edge is a lot further down today, and i'm probably 30-40 miles too far north for a few sunny breaks. Slap bang under the tick blanket of autumn muck.

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

I'm in Salford and so far it has been mostly cloudy and dull this week with the sun not coming out until mid afternoon. On Monday I decided to take advantage of the forecast anticyclone centred over the UK to climb some of the Cardennau mountains in Wales. I couldn't be bothered getting more than three quarters of the way up with the ridge ahead under thick clag and drizzle that looked like it was set in for the day (it actually lowered during the morning). This morning has started off overcast again. What a waste of an anticyclone.

It was glorious in the Manchester area on Monday almost all day- 10 hours of sun recorded here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
On 25/08/2021 at 08:31, HellItsHot said:

We’ve been plagued by light showers all week, which seem wholly confined to Lincolnshire. 

Anyone have an idea as to why that is? 

Looks like patches of drizzle heading inland from the North Sea judging by the radar.  I don't know why it's mainly affecting Lincolnshire and not other eastern areas, but it's surprising how widespread the cloud cover is considering that high pressure is sat on top of the country.  I'd been expecting this sort of weather to arrive on Thursday/Friday when eastern locations will pick up more of a northerly flow.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Struggling to pass a 19c here so far. That wind is sooo brrrr!!! Can't believe we have to suffer with this damn wind yet again like earlier in the year! You get the sun but really have to pay for it with the cold wind. Doesn't feel warm at all. Was in the garden last night in a coat!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It was glorious in the Manchester area on Monday almost all day- 10 hours of sun recorded here.

I noticed when coming back from Snowdonia the weather improved as I travelled east. I'm guessing orographic uplift from the Welsh hills helped maintain the cloud cover. Part of me wonders if I could have ascended through and above the cloud layer if I had carried on to the 1064m summit. It happened once in glen Affric in very similar setup (anticyclone and overcast), I climbed through the low cloud layer and reached my first summit in clear skies surrounded by a sea of cloud. The cloud then gradually dissipated through the day.

• Like 1

Posted

Cloud cover is now breaking up in Salford, looks like it is going to be a sunny afternoon.

Posted
5 minutes ago, al78 said:

Cloud cover is now breaking up in Salford, looks like it is going to be a sunny afternoon.

Yes the satellite looks good- should be sunny for at least a few hours I'd say.

It’s not as warm as I expected, struggled to 20C despite almost continuous sunshine. Most places just 15-19C

Edited by Alderc

Posted
33 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Struggling to pass a 19c here so far. That wind is sooo brrrr!!! Can't believe we have to suffer with this damn wind yet again like earlier in the year! You get the sun but really have to pay for it with the cold wind. Doesn't feel warm at all. Was in the garden last night in a coat!

We've only just hit 17!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s not as warm as I expected, struggled to 20C despite almost continuous sunshine. Most places just 15-19C

It's definately not the nice warm end to summer we were progged! I was expecting more around 23-24c! And definately not a freezing cold wind. The kids keep running in and out the garden (North facing) and the wind keeps coming and so I'm forever shouting shut the door!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Cloudless and 23 degrees. Couldn’t ask for more and if I did it would be greedy.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Dull grey sky, 17C and a chilly breeze, the cherry on the cake of a crap summer bar the odd few days here and there.

Our climate sucks doesn't it?!

• Like 1

Posted

24C here and rising. Personally I prefer it cooler but I'm not going to complain if it is dry and sunny given the typical weather here.

In fact I would be quite happy with 15C or 16C as long as it is dry and sunny and not too windy.  If I'm outside I tend to be active and not sitting around so that feels quite pleasant with a relatively strong sun.

Posted

Well what a change a few hours makes! The wind has dropped some now and it's gone up to 22.7c! Just small fluffy clouds nothing big and grey! YAYA!!!

Posted
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

I was wrong. Looks like we're not even going to manage 19C!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Beautiful day here today as was Monday when it reached 23c , yesterday was overcast but hopeful that the next week should see us in the NW get some decent warm sunny weather ,would love to get the BBQ out this weekend, and the paddling pool for the Grandkids.

Posted

It’s now 22c in London Town, and more sunny today.

Like Twister Girl above mentioned, it’s been a poor summer here also. 

The sun feels hot, but it’s not that warm when you factor in a breeze. Quite pleasant, and a drier heat feel to things. Probably to do with the north east breeze. 

It’s probably still not warm enough for a beach day though. The warmer days recently have been accompanied by long periods of cloud, which made it feel humid. Again, not beach weather.

This will probably be the best week of warm sunny weather since that mid July hot spell, and that about sums up this poor summer.

Winter 2021-22 will be a snowy frosty one. I’m banking on it.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

It’s the last weeks where you can still get that hot sunshine. But, from mid September the sunny days will start to feel on the fresher side, even if we achieve 25c.