Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

A lot more cloud around today. Opposite to yesterday where it was most cloudy in the South, and clear skies here. Today, it’s the cloudiest around the Midlands, Wales and North East. 

Edited by Josh Rubio

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

image.thumb.png.c1f47b4d93c9222e8c771e61eae3bcf3.png

I think high pressure very much has established over the whole country, but the issue is that a large mass of cloud has got embedded in the high, and on the eastern/south-eastern flank we have a chilly NE wind.  I haven't been on the model output discussion thread much this summer, partly because there tends to be an automatic assumption that high pressure/settled = dry and sunny and low pressure/unsettled = wet and cloudy.  There is a correlation, but in the British Isles, surrounded by water, it's a long way away from being a hard and fast rule.  But as noted earlier, even I assumed that it would generally be dry and sunny today and tomorrow.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I think Iceland might break there national heat record today.. It seems a there is a current temperature of 28.9 degrees in the northeast of the country at the moment.. Maybe off topic but still a summer rant as they are miles and miles north .Incredible if they do as this year keeps on surprising us with extreme temps so far north 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 24/08/2021 at 11:11, mountain shadow said:

Stunning Summer has returned to the North West and looks set to stay for a couple of weeks. Just in time for the school's going back here!

Yes MS, it’s actually very warm here, mid twenties I’d say. There was that rubbish first 3 weeks of August, otherwise a cracking summer!

• Like 3

Posted
On 24/08/2021 at 14:20, emmett garland said:

I think Iceland might break there national heat record today.. It seems a there is a current temperature of 28.9 degrees in the northeast of the country at the moment.. Maybe off topic but still a summer rant as they are miles and miles north .Incredible if they do as this year keeps on surprising us with extreme temps so far north 

Yes even the BBC app is picking up on this. It has been the northeast of Iceland that has had a particularly good summer whereas Reykjavik and the capital area has been really poor. They have an East/West divide

5E1EDF6E-9DC2-4C92-A090-EA22D735EB12.png

E302DB79-01A8-4645-A5CE-1CF4F51DD3A5.png

Edited by Northwest NI
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Glorious afternoon here today and about bloody time . Not overly warm but lovely in the Sun

• Like 1

Posted

Nearly 4pm and still no sign of it burning off. I'd have thought that with the sea being at its warmest in late summer, North Sea muck would have more difficulty forming at all compared to spring/early summer let alone spreading right across Britain. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Wonderful afternoon round these parts, plenty of heat in the sun, breeze has dropped, nothing to complain about tbh,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yesterday was a beautiful day with sun all day. But today:

I reckon it will be like this for the next fortnight or so. Depressing for summer.

245F50DD-E3B9-4099-B734-F4C55A8DE37D.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
21 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Hihi!! Where are you? I agree on the cloud front it's been ridiculous!! Cloud all day today too until around 4pm. I'm not expecting anything different from this week except for being dry

Just north of Southampton.. yes it did get better later here too. Today much better though I'm glad to say.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer of 95 said:

Nearly 4pm and still no sign of it burning off. I'd have thought that with the sea being at its warmest in late summer, North Sea muck would have more difficulty forming at all compared to spring/early summer let alone spreading right across Britain. 

It is mostly Sc not St so is far less likely to be 'burnt' off. The Visual sat piccs show it quite clearly, sadly likely tomorrow as well!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
3 hours ago, emmett garland said:

Particularly surprising as it's so late in the summer. I'd expect far northerly latitudes to peak earlier in the year when the days are longest - as often seems to happen in Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Summer of 95 said:

Could be heading for the dullest 2 weeks on record for Staffs/Shrewsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Been very nice here today, offshore NE wind sunny and warm, low humidity too due to the offshore breeze. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I got the weather wrong for today - I didn't foresee cloud cover being quite this widespread today, especially after many of us had a sunny day yesterday and high pressure remains on top of the country.  The GFS predicted extensive cloud cover today, but I subconsciously discounted it because the GFS's cloud cover predictions often aren't the most reliable - but this time round they were!

It's about knowing location! mine is the worst for nort sea filth, been telling people I know, and on here about todays change with filth and drizzle

Posted
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

It's about knowing location! mine is the worst for nort sea filth, been telling people I know, and on here about todays change with filth and drizzle

Yep. Dull day. In fact it's getting dark outside already  with this north sea filth. Dare I say very autuminal 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Mr Schafernaker again Tonight ,with MeteoGroups view of the Week ahead.

Weather for the Week Ahead - BBC Weather

We still look to be stuck under that Omega block, for the foreseeable.

A spell of very settled Weather on the cards then, for a decent spell.

It's even settled Thomas's hair down, as well.

Regards,

Tom. 

• Like 1

Looks sunny tomorrow here again, rare for two sunny days on the trot on in 2021. Lots of widespread cloud Thursday, Friday and Saturday though. 

Posted
On 24/08/2021 at 20:46, Alderc said:

Looks sunny tomorrow here again, rare for two sunny days on the trot on in 2021. Lots of widespread cloud Thursday, Friday and Saturday though. 

Please do enjoy it ☀️

• Like 1

A glorious start here, we should see plenty of warm sun today, shame I’m stuck in the office. Unfortunately for many further north three days of cloud and clag to come. Tomorrow and Friday look almost completely overcast here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Amazingly, despite being sunny for where i live for the most part yesterday, London still didn't even reach the 6 hour sunshine mark! As it stands, February currently has more days over 6 hours sunshine (3) than August (2) so far. Shocking stat!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Currently tipping it down with drizzle here, not forecast and not even showing on the radar! Really paying for that nice day yesterday. Enjoy your sun folks in the west!

• Like 2