Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

This has been 2021, utterly depressing from a weather point of view, just seemingly endless blanket of cloud. And now they’ve cultivated the fields (the lovely golden stubble only last two days) it really feels like autumn. 

6FB8E97C-FC6E-4BD5-86E8-9A34C09D2581.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Yes, thick, grey cloud here this morning and no breaks visible!  My patio baskets and troughs seem to have just given up and I would put them in the garden waste recycling bin IF it hadn't been suspended because so many operatives are off sick!!  Normally the flowers go on until late September at least - yet another wonderful thing about this summer!

Posted

Unsurprising amounts of thick cloud here so far given the position of the high and really not expecting too much from this 'better' week re sunshine or warmth. As poor spells go for the SE, August has definitely taken the biscuit.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Still cloudy in Exeter ?‍♀️  Would have though it would have broken by now

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

1941 236

2014 236

1970 235

1969 234

1973 234

1999 234

1997 232

2021 232 (up to 22nd Aug)

That looks the low point now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

In southern England, I'd agree that cloudiness more than anything else has been the problem this summer.

There have been occasional spells of heavy rain, but the summer has not been noteworthy rain-wise except for one or two extreme events.

More generally for modern summers since 2007, cloudiness seems to be the defining feature. I suspect for summer as a whole, and August in particular, sunshine stats for the 15 year period 2007-21 will be well down on the preceding 15-year period.

Perhaps not historically unprecedented though as I get the impression that the 1920s and 1960s were also decades with cloudy summers.

Cloud again today. We got a nice clear anticyclonic N-NW yesterday (which aside from a hot SE airflow, tends to give us the best weather in the summer) but now the wind has veered further and we've replaced Atlantic clag with North Sea clag. The synoptics for good summer weather just don't seem to happen much nowadays - when you get an anticyclone, there are either weak fronts or the wind is from a 'bad' direction.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I find it crazy, that since July 24th, Heathrow have only recorded 3 days with over 6 hours sunshine! Proves just how bad this stretch has been for the South east/London.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
3 minutes ago, SunSean said:

I find it crazy, that since July 24th, Heathrow have only recorded 3 days with over 6 hours sunshine! Proves just how bad this stretch has been for the South east/London.

That is terrible and also I read it'll be the first August in the twentieth century that London hasn't recorded over 25 Degrees Celsius in August too.  

No matter who tries to dress it up this summer has been almost no existent  in the south bar a couple weeks 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I must admit that the current weather (grey, dull, grotty with no sign of a clearance) is making a mockery out of the latest MetO forecast:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Oh dear. Not exactly off to a flying start this sunny spell...

Leaden skies holding on here. Was hoping to top the tan up today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Thankfully some widespread sunshine not far off, moving slowly down from the NE.

Here's the latest satellite image and this morning's 06z cloud cover forecast from Arpege for 16.00 (black is clear sky):

1849503010_Satellite23Aug13_10.thumb.jpg.a82f3732e4bf0cc1f4af2d0aa03d4534.jpg315944619_ArpegeCloudCover23Aug16_00.thumb.png.2f8f278547bdd8b19a0a2d4e1ff8b465.png

Source: https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual
             https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php?ech=8&mode=4&map=330

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

That is truly dire and indicative of just how bad it is has been in the Sourh this year. Just 3 days, good lord. Woeful regardless of one's preference for hot or cold weather...who legitimately finds weeks on end of bland cloud appealing? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

That is terrible and also I read it'll be the first August in the twentieth century that London hasn't recorded over 25 Degrees Celsius in August too.  

No matter who tries to dress it up this summer has been almost no existent  in the south bar a couple weeks 

All is not lost, as turd polishing is now a new Olympic sport! So we’ve definitely got a few potential gold medallists on here to give Team GB a boost

• Like 7

Posted
3 hours ago, East Duckling said:

Because having put up with this rubbish summer at least the weather gods could be nice and give us a snowy couple of months, or are we just going to continue with the grey but temperatures at 8 or 9 instead ? 

No. It will be 10-11 degrees and uniformly grey.

Grey and cool here today, like almost every other day this summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Lovely day in Bucks, has to be said.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I must say today the suns out, its warm and its making me much more happy.

• Like 1

Posted

Was the low cloud actually a front? According to the radar a line of light rain has moved over in the last hour (nothing reached the ground) after which it has completely cleared up! 

16:30 and the clearance is now visible to my north east, will probably take another hour for the sun to be out. Too little to late, let’s hope another bank of low cloud doesn’t form overnight and move in from the east, however that’s a really possibility….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
45 minutes ago, Alderc said:

16:30 and the clearance is now visible to my north east, will probably take another hour for the sun to be out. Too little to late, let’s hope another bank of low cloud doesn’t form overnight and move in from the east, however that’s a really possibility….

not for you I wouldn't have thought, sea mist tends to affect N Midlands mostly, N of Cannock

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Today has been, dare I say, a pleasant enough day.  Light winds, low humidity, moderate warmth and sunny spells.  If all sunny and warm days were like this I wouldn't mind summer so much.  I hope it doesn't get too much warmer than this though.

• Like 2

Posted

Well even I cant moan about today. From about 11.30/12 noon onwards very pleasant indeed. Got better as the afternoon wore on with increasing amounts of blue sky and sunshine. Not especially warm but compared to the grot of the last month you cant really grumble.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Turned out to be a nice afternoon over here. 21 Celsius, mostly sunny with a fluffy white cloud here and there, a gentle breeze and 49% humidity. A nice late summer's day and very useable for many.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1