Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Another day and yet more unforecast and unmoddled rain! 

NIMBY yet but plenty of showers over Dorset/Somerset/Devon when as late as yesterday evening nothing was due until late this evening!

• Like 1

Posted

34 years ago today, we would have been enjoying one of the hottest weeks of summer 1987(a poor summer mind), and the daytime temp on Friday August 21st was around 32c in London, although Liphook recorded 30c. The city must have been warmer. Later that evening and into the night, a widespread set of thunderstorms moved in. Even to this day, I remember that day quite vividly, and hard to believe it’s 34 years ago. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Whisper it quietly, but next week is looking quite nice. Largely dry, far more sunshine this week (although that's not difficult) and temperatures into the low-20s. I'll take that.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Whisper it quietly, but next week is looking quite nice. Largely dry, far more sunshine this week (although that's not difficult) and temperatures into the low-20s. I'll take that.

Yes. It will be nice until about 5pm next Friday and then a hideous low will slowly role in overnight to bring a soaking on Saturday and Sunday. I don't need weather charts or computers to tell me that. I just know....

• Like 3

Posted

Just gone through the stats on our weather station at work. We've managed 12 days of 25C+ this summer, and as it looks unlikely we'll manage any more that'll be 12 out of 92 days. Really poor for the south.

1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Just gone through the stats on our weather station at work. We've managed 12 days of 25C+ this summer, and as it looks unlikely we'll manage any more that'll be 12 out of 92 days. Really poor for the south.

Yep, would expect 20-30 here, the London area probably 30-40!

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Just for fun, I wonder looking at this late summer chart, how cold it would be 4 months down the line ? What I do know many snow hunters on here would be liking Christmas 2021 !

C

gh500_20210820_00_180.jpg

Posted
31 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Yep, would expect 20-30 here, the London area probably 30-40!

Someone posted the number of days above 25C+ in London but I can't find it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

A lot of people who staycationed on the south coast in expensive and grubby caravans must be wishing they had run the Covid gauntlet and gone to Spain instead.

To spend thousands on a wet fortnight in Bournemouth must be a crapper when you could have gone to Malaga for a tenner!  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
On 20/08/2021 at 13:39, Nick L said:

13 days here. Oddly enough, 14 last Summer.

Posted
40 minutes ago, Nick L said:

13 so far in SW London. 

21 in 2020

22 in 2019

38 in 2018

22 in 2017

2011 will take some beating though with just 8.

• Like 1

Posted

10 days over 25C here this year. However when I think that all 6 summers from 2007-2012 only had a few days at best, it doesn't seem too bad.

2007: I have no data but apparently 0 at Exeter Airport if that rounded data is correct!
2008: 3 (+ 2 in May)
2009: 4
2010: 2 
2011: 2
2012: 3 (+ 2 in May)
2013: 15
2014: 9
2015: 0 ! (yes, while Heathrow broke the then July record we only reached 24.5C with cloud (but we had been nearly 24C at 3am lol).
2016: 2
2017: 9
2018: 22 (+ 1 in May)
2019: 7
2020: 12 (+2 in September)
2021: 10

So we're actually 4th/15 in a 2007-2021 sample. Some years we get a lot of 22-24C days (not this year), like 2010, but only a few over 25C. That's a near the south coast of Devon climate with sea breezes for you I guess. 

In my whole record, I've had 107 days above 25C, but 948 days above 20C. One of the better climates in the UK if you like pleasant warmth but don't like heat I guess.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

This August is my most disappointing month this summer here, and the stats back that up too. Mean max 20.0C, highest 21.8C, only 63.6 hours of sun so far (probably slightly under the true value but still).

In the last week we had a bit of sunshine/brightness at times, but it's been mostly cloudy, and no sun today or on Wednesday.

No rain in 7 days until a heavy shower late yesterday afternoon either, so 'useable' but not quite what many would want in August. It feels more like September (often a bit boring), with September-like temperatures at times too.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

30 days per year at Heathrow for 91-20 on average. This year we are only on 19 days.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

A lot of people who staycationed on the south coast in expensive and grubby caravans must be wishing they had run the Covid gauntlet and gone to Spain instead.

To spend thousands on a wet fortnight in Bournemouth must be a crapper when you could have gone to Malaga for a tenner!  

And to eat crap food and use smelly facilities to rubs salt in the wound. 

That’s how I remember 80s and 90s staycations. Still, I do enjoy a mini break or two in this country at times.

The only drawback with going abroad is the faff that comes with getting to the airport. It’s never enjoyable. 

Posted

So, yet another day of low cloud and its subsequent gloom.

It's August for goodness sake. I'd be hacked off if it was this gloomy day after day in November...

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

1941 236

2014 236

1970 235

2021 235 ( up to 18th Aug)

Expect a further drop over weekend then a possible stall. A very average summer in the making. Not bad overall for the NW..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

This August is my most disappointing month this summer here, and the stats back that up too. Mean max 20.0C, highest 21.8C, only 63.6 hours of sun so far (probably slightly under the true value but still).

In the last week we had a bit of sunshine/brightness at times, but it's been mostly cloudy, and no sun today or on Wednesday.

No rain in 7 days until a heavy shower late yesterday afternoon either, so 'useable' but not quite what many would want in August. It feels more like September (often a bit boring), with September-like temperatures at times too.

We too had some heavy rain yesterday afternnon and into the evening, but apart from that as well as a couple of nice days it has been very bland so far this month. Lack of rain, lack of sun, lack of interesting cloud formations, lack of thunderstorms - just cloudy nothingness most of the time. At least next week is looking better, as long as it delivers.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
On 19/08/2021 at 18:08, DAVID SNOW said:

When are the very warm temperatures going to arrive then, cutting it very fine to happen last 3rd August now...

Silly of me to believe the Daily Express.....

Has  anyone else suffered from early tomato blight this year?  I have. About a month earlier than usual.  Been plotting blight for years. Usually it is early September. Had to pull up and dump 30 odd tomato plants today. 

How go your tomatoes?

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Well not from our experience. Week 14th-21st August we stayed in a village near Poole. There were a few showers on the 14th, morning rain on the 15th, heavy rain overnight 15th-16th then not a drop the rest of the week with comfortable 21c maxes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

I suspect strongly you haven't a clue what your talking about, a very very silly post

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lets please keep to respectful discussion please ☺️

31 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suspect strongly you haven't a clue what your talking about, a very very silly post

You think they are joking. These are extremely average hotels 3.5stars at best for 2 adults and 2 kids….

20D98C50-0993-4059-AC00-A4711230E590.thumb.png.0cce14831ceb5236b3521a8986c60da1.png

vs

42A2EFED-28DE-44E1-872E-23EF98DE112D.thumb.png.4efdca76a67d1e731cc8d3e1a0cf2459.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, Snipper said:

Has  anyone else suffered from early tomato blight this year?  I have. About a month earlier than usual.  Been plotting blight for years. Usually it is early September. Had to pull up and dump 30 odd tomato plants today. 

How go your tomatoes?

The wife has lost all of hers to blight. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

You think they are joking. These are extremely average hotels 3.5stars at best for 2 adults and 2 kids….

20D98C50-0993-4059-AC00-A4711230E590.thumb.png.0cce14831ceb5236b3521a8986c60da1.png

vs

42A2EFED-28DE-44E1-872E-23EF98DE112D.thumb.png.4efdca76a67d1e731cc8d3e1a0cf2459.png

Normal supply and demand there. Not sure were the grubby caravans come in though!

• Like 2