Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

I would say calling this Summer a horror show for many northern parts may be pushing it a fair bit. On the whole its not been bad with plenty sunshine and reasonable temps. No weeks of heatwave i agree but this is the UK, we have had a normal summer in many places.

But here on the South Coast, it has been unremittingly horrible, apart from those few days in July.  Everywhere you go, it is THE topic of conversation, and yes we are moaning about the weather, because it just has not been a proper summer for us.  We do after all have months and months of dark, gloom, rain, wind and all the other horrors, but cannot seem to have a few decent weeks of warm, bright, blue-skied weather in the 'summer'.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, markyo said:

I would say calling this Summer a horror show for many northern parts may be pushing it a fair bit. On the whole its not been bad with plenty sunshine and reasonable temps. No weeks of heatwave i agree but this is the UK, we have had a normal summer in many places.

I don't think the op is from the north. Everyone posts very imby. There was no mention of the north in that post? You are also very aware of what the South has had to endure and hence the moaning! Per the thread title. It's nothing short of depressing. SAD in summer anyone? ...

• Like 3

Posted

We had the best 2 hours of summer for X number of days earlier with 22c and plenty of sunshine. It’s been followed by very heavy rain and is now dull as whatever!

Posted

When are the very warm temperatures going to arrive then, cutting it very fine to happen last 3rd August now...

Silly of me to believe the Daily Express.....

• Like 3

Posted
11 hours ago, Number 23 said:

Another day, another monotone slab overhead. 

Starting to feel like we're turning the corner now into autumn, the loss of evening light is noticeable. 

Makes the gloom du jour even harder to stomach!!

Yes there is a flatness about everything at present. Another very dull day.. a lighter shade of the late autumn/early winter that often plagues the UK. 

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

When are the very warm temperatures going to arrive then, cutting it very fine to happen last 3rd August now...

When the school holidays end, as per usual!

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Such headlines always surface tail end July/early August, happens each year.. can't help think they are political.. to keep us booking holidays in the UK and boost the economy.. perpetuate a feel good factor..  

• Like 2

Posted

The sheer negativity this year that we’ve had to endure has, I’m sure, been part of our disappointment in the weather. Last years long periods of warmth and sun took the edge off the horrors of the pandemic and everything else, but the leaden skies just reflect how a lot of us feel at the moment.

Remarkably varied here today, though. Bland a.m. but sun and rain since then giving some variety and more interesting skyscapes.

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Jon Somerset said:

The sheer negativity this year that we’ve had to endure has, I’m sure, been part of our disappointment in the weather. Last years long periods of warmth and sun took the edge off the horrors of the pandemic and everything else, but the leaden skies just reflect how a lot of us feel at the moment.

Remarkably varied here today, though. Bland a.m. but sun and rain since then giving some variety and more interesting skyscapes.

Last summer was miles better than this, and that’s saying something. I didn’t rate summer 2020 as a good one,  but it did produce a very sunny April to early June period, and the two week hot period in August, with some storms, but the storms weren’t special. 

• Like 1

Posted

The UK's weather almost invariably balances itself out, so am expecting nothing less than a stellar six month period of high pressure, cloudless skies and unseasonably above average temps come September.

But never again in the depths of winter or a soaking spring shall I ever hang onto the thought of a blazing summer to pull me through, especially August, the reality is just too depressing. 

Edited by Mac_SE
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Last summer was miles better than this, and that’s saying something. I didn’t rate summer 2020 as a good one,  but it did produce a very sunny April to early June period, and the two week hot period in August, with some storms, but the storms weren’t special. 

My overall perception of the weather in the 16 weeks since 1st May is roughly 4 half decent weeks and 12 weeks of mediocre/poor dross. So that is 25% / 75 % . Not even near 'average'.  

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Mac_SE said:

The UK's weather almost invariably balances itself out, so am expecting nothing less than a stellar six month period of high pressure, cloudless skies and unseasonably above average temps come September.

But never again in the depths of winter or a soaking spring shall I ever hang onto the thought of a blazing summer to pull me through, especially August, the reality is just too depressing. 

I'll say it again, I never rate August, in the rankings it lags far behind May, June and July, and on the settled stakes April..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

I'll say it again, I never rate August, in the rankings it lags far behind May, June and July, and on the settled stakes April..

Atlantic dominates! not surprised

Posted

I'm in moan mood today, August 2021 the most non-descript August ever possibly on the cards, weather has been like watching paint dry.. this week in particular especially trying... everything has a lethargic energy about it, atmosphere and light is very flat.. take me back to the promise of late May please now..  often find second half of August through to about the equinox a trying period generally - waiting for autumn to shake things into gear, experiencing the dying embers of summer.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 19/08/2021 at 20:51, damianslaw said:

I think it has to be the worst month of the year now. Always unsettled, summer is ending etc. Has nothing good about it. September much better.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, sarahng said:

But here on the South Coast, it has been unremittingly horrible, apart from those few days in July.  Everywhere you go, it is THE topic of conversation, and yes we are moaning about the weather, because it just has not been a proper summer for us.  We do after all have months and months of dark, gloom, rain, wind and all the other horrors, but cannot seem to have a few decent weeks of warm, bright, blue-skied weather in the 'summer'.

Absolutely. Everyone I speak to is also thoroughly sick of the crap weather. At least the northern half of the UK has had a better summer (about time) compared to the south. But like you say, there’s months of wet, chilly gloom to come as per usual, and it’d be a bit easier to deal with if a decent summer was had. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

From a purely personal point of view, seeing as August has been very much like a typical September, I’d quite like September to either be properly unsettled or properly settled with sunshine. No in between rubbish like this month. 

Background signals would point towards unsettled this year, but a continuation of next week’s pressure rise at least into the first third of September would be welcome. The GFS has toyed with the idea of a breakdown via a thundery low come the end of the month, followed by cyclonic conditions. That would also add some interest - I tend to find cyclonic conditions give lengthier sunny spells and better cloud scapes than hazy anticyclones this late in summer and early autumn.

2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Can whoever shared the decade long August stats for Bournemouth airport post them again as that’s conclusive evidence of the persistent poor weather for the U.K. in this ‘summer’ month. If you’re banking on proper summer weather, I conclude never book it in August in the U.K. unless you like rain, cold and disappointment! 

• Like 1

Posted

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

1941 236

2014 236

1970 235

2021 235 ( up to 18th Aug)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I wonder what time we'll scrape 20C today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
14 hours ago, Jon Somerset said:

Absolutely, last summer in the south west was mostly a beauty and definitely took the edge of the authoritarian rules thrust upon us.  We are all feeling it this year, our spirits have been broken  ....I'm hoping this weather improves before winter as I have a feeling that the powers that be haven't finished tormenting us just yet  

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2