Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I’d trade this useless summer now for a mellow autumn. A nice calm and warm September, a changeable October and a frosty November. I don’t usually chuck the towel in, but don’t see much cheer for the next fortnight.

Yup, this summer is 100% done, I just need 3 dry days 9-11th for my annual golf weekend in Nottingham. Given how every single planned event I’ve had since lockdown ended has been ruined by the weather I fully expect a huge Atlantic storm and 70mph winds to blast in for that weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 17/08/2021 at 18:55, Alderc said:

Yup, this summer is 100% done, I just need 3 dry days 9-11th for my annual golf weekend in Nottingham. Given how every single planned event I’ve had since lockdown ended has been ruined by the weather I fully expect a huge Atlantic storm and 70mph winds to blast in for that weekend.

I’m golfing away Sunday and Monday near Luton - the forecast currently on Sunday especially looks potentially horrific. £50 a round to go and get soaked to the bone. You can see why people think ‘stuff this’ and do a week on the course in Portugal or Turkey instead!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not too bad here for time of year, hardly any rain, now a few light showers coming in from the gap

9 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I’m golfing away Sunday and Monday near Luton - the forecast currently on Sunday especially looks potentially horrific. £50 a round to go and get soaked to the bone. You can see why people think ‘stuff this’ and do a week on the course in Portugal or Turkey instead!

Yeah my weekend is £350 for hotel and 3 rounds. because some of the golfers are older they understandably don’t want to travel. So have to just risk it. But a sub group of us has already booked 5nights in Marbella next May for £550 with 4 rounds and that’s half board. 

Plus assuming the Dom Rep is off the red list (which it should be) I’ve got two weeks there next year and a golf course only 2km away ????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I'm visiting family this coming weekend and am hoping for one dry sunny day to do some hillwalking in the Lakes or Snowdonia. So far it looks like Monday will be the best day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Won't be popular on some parts of the Forum but "music to my ears", for this NON heat lover. 

Despite rumours of a heatwave in some quarters, MeteoGroup courtesy of Darren Bett, are having none of it!! See video clip below:

Weather for the Week Ahead - BBC Weather

Regards,

Tom. 

• Like 2

Posted

This summer has been hideous. 

Day after day of cloud, and one day with some sunshine. Ok, so this weekend just gone, was probably the best since the mid July hot spell. But, the summer as a whole really has been depressingly bad.

Today in central London it was barely scraping 17c. That’s cold for mid august in my book. 

We really do need a hot spell of 25-28c, or at least a few weeks of 23-24c sunny days. It’s not too much to ask for really.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

We really do need a hot spell of 25-28c, or at least a few weeks of 23-24c sunny days. It’s not too much to ask for really.

Don’t get your hopes up! You might get 2 decent warm days Friday/Saturday then a lingering LOW with rain/showers Sunday until Wednesday going by this evening’s GFS!

Then lo and behold beyond 10 days it looks great! Including temperatures above 25c for the return to school dates! It will definitely happen that way too, always does!

I am genuinely grateful we had decent weather for our Dorset holiday last week. It seems to often be the best part of the country, happened again today too.

So many of our pre planned dates have been rain affected it’s not a surprise any longer. Another is set to go the same way on Sunday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I spent the afternoon of X-mas Day 1974 mowing the lawn!

Were the in-laws that bad??!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 17/08/2021 at 17:03, Ed Stone said:

I spent the afternoon of X-mas Day 1974 mowing the lawn!

Must have been a family decision........and without doubt, a unanimous one.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Lovely when it is 16c under leaden skies and you can eat an ice cream with a massive winter coat on. 

This would be me LOL!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Lovely when it is 16c under leaden skies and you can eat an ice cream with a massive winter coat on. 

Did that back in May when 16 degrees was almost a novelty...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Lovely! Forecast app says dry with no rain (pinch of salt with apps), radar shows no rain and yet it's chucking it down in Peterborough.

This summer bar a couple of good weeks has been depressing, I've already in my head written off summer, very difficult to be positive over any good weather on horizon.

Quite clearly our new weather extreme will be rain and as well as it being changeable very quickly.

Posted
9 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Don’t get your hopes up! You might get 2 decent warm days Friday/Saturday then a lingering LOW with rain/showers Sunday until Wednesday going by this evening’s GFS!

Then lo and behold beyond 10 days it looks great! Including temperatures above 25c for the return to school dates! It will definitely happen that way too, always does!

I am genuinely grateful we had decent weather for our Dorset holiday last week. It seems to often be the best part of the country, happened again today too.

So many of our pre planned dates have been rain affected it’s not a surprise any longer. Another is set to go the same way on Sunday!

This summer has been so poor for sunshine levels. Last year was better than this, and that’s saying something. We did have the nice long sunny spell in spring into early summer, plus the August heatwave was great. A little too hot, but I will take that over this rubbish. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Petorious said:

Lovely! Forecast app says dry with no rain (pinch of salt with apps), radar shows no rain and yet it's chucking it down in Peterborough.

This summer bar a couple of good weeks has been depressing, I've already in my head written off summer, very difficult to be positive over any good weather on horizon.

Quite clearly our new weather extreme will be rain and as well as it being changeable very quickly.

Let’s get a playlist going.

The Smiths, Joy Division, and a side order of The Cure on repeat, while the never ending dreary weather continues lol.

• Like 1

Posted

August has been very poor apart from 3/4 days. Very cloudy  not a lot of rain.Not a lot of anything to be honest.

I guess the Augusts i remember growing up were just imagination and not reality. Really is the worse month of all 3 summers months over the last 20 years. 

• Like 1

Another dire month sunshine wise. Averaging just over 4hrs a day. Only 78hrs for the month. This summer really is down there with the worst.

Also was meant to be dry pretty much all week, into the fourth morning of drizzle now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 18/08/2021 at 06:56, weatherguru14 said:

August has been very poor apart from 3/4 days. Very cloudy  not a lot of rain.Not a lot of anything to be honest.

I guess the Augusts i remember growing up were just imagination and not reality. Really is the worse month of all 3 summers months over the last 20 years. 

Posted this yesterday - but you aren't really imagining things. August this year has been that bad. A -60m to -80m 500mb anomaly tells you all you need to know. Another one for the scrapheap.

You start to wonder if we will ever see a good one again! I know we will at some point, and I look forward to that day. A dry, sunny and warm August.....one to dream about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

So, so dark this morning.  We have those nightlights which come on when a certain low level of light is reached and vice versa in the morning.  Today they have only just gone off - at 8 am in August!!!  Every single morning (except last Saturday) seems the same with heavy, thick cloud which only clears towards evening.  And not even a holiday to look forward to!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

This is turning out to be a very monotonous August indeed. It hasn't been particularly settled or unsettled, just boring with hardly any weather. If I could, I'd ditch the rest of the month and fast forward straight to September.