Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
On 15/08/2021 at 18:10, MATTWOLVES said:

What,and you reckon the met have a poor understanding of em! Pull the other one.

And where in my post did i mention the met ?

Posted
3 hours ago, seabreeze86 said:

Another dreadful summers day here to match a awful summer . Paddling pool redundant this year 

Yea only been in ours a handful of times really! Fed up of seeing it in the garden flower border perched against a bush! It's getting in the way. Maybe I should put it away then the heat will come lol

Posted

Another absolute festering pile of smelly horrible rat infested turgid rubbish of a weekend. After the 4 hour persistent rain event between 11 and 3 yesterday ( apparently supposed to have been the odd bit of drizzle here and there) we have had delightful grey skies and non stop downpours since about 2pm today. Absolutely shocking. And looking at the latest BBC chart for next weekend. Guess what? Another huge pile of low pressure monstrosity slap bang over the centre of the UK. You couldn't make it up. You just couldn't make it up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
44 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

I’ll be glad when summer is over to be honest. Not only has it been extremely sterile for the most part, but it’ll (hopefully) stop people from posting 10+ Day fl charts which rarely seem to materialise. 

Unpopular opinion but I’m looking forward to a good wind storm, to blow to cobwebs away. 

Oh just you wait until winter! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 15/08/2021 at 07:27, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Index is holding up, 243 up to 13th August.

It feels like it has been a 1996 type summer. August so far has been the least impressive of the summer months, which was the same as in 1996 

The summer index for us has increased to 239 up to the 15th August. That puts it 15th out of the last 42 summers. I'd say thats a pretty good reflection of the summer here so far, good but nothing exceptional. It actually sits between 1991 and 2005 in the list, both of which could be described in a similar manner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
On 14/08/2021 at 22:24, Nick L said:

The next week just looks to be unrelenting "meh". Dreary, occasional drizzle, temperatures average by day and muggy by night. Agree with the above, bring on Autumn.

I've defended this summer here in Lincoln quite a bit so far, but I agree with this assessment of the outlook for the upcoming week.  Some decent days here in early August but it's indeed been becoming rather "meh" here too.  Some signals for high pressure to build in about a week's time, but it does seem to be getting pushed back as we near the time.

Regarding August 1996, it may have been the least impressive summer month of 1996 for many rainfall and sunshine wise, but in contrast "meh" certainly isn't a word that I'd associate with it.  There was a cool changeable beginning and end, a hot spell in the middle (when, somewhat unusually, Sunderland reached 30C on the 18th) and, for some, a high frequency of thunder as well - 7 thunder days at nearby RAF Waddington.  Around 23 August 1996 was particularly thundery.  It was also generally the warmest month of the summer.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

The lack of sun this week is looking depressing.

Posted

In fact, never mind the next week, but there's a real risk that most of the country could go the entire month of August without recording 25C. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.2892524c3542f0732efa92bc2b91b7d2.pngimage.thumb.png.aa78e3e10f04bef2b037fbd0553e66b5.pngimage.thumb.png.fdcb5768a5c99939e18b6cdf54760e06.pngimage.thumb.png.a89e541125ad4202f2a0eeccc956f06a.png

Here comes the next weekend washout...some very heavy/torrential rain showing up on the ECM run. 50mm in a day in some areas.

...and here's what you could have won (Thursday/Friday last week for next Sunday):

image.thumb.png.127c9ff516cdacde59126e995930c9d4.pngimage.thumb.png.3a959067f05a54b3242ce13ec23fcf86.pngimage.thumb.png.ef6ec01f86a8b379805d267379c5827b.pngimage.thumb.png.08a60ca2585871c44e736b00a7b9173e.png

Joke isn’t it. But it’s ok we’ll be told not to worry as summer will be back next Wednesday/Thursday. We’re really one of the few places in the entire northern hemisphere thats had a poor summer. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Joke isn’t it. But it’s ok we’ll be told not to worry as summer will be back next Wednesday/Thursday. We’re really one of the few places in the entire northern hemisphere thats had a poor summer. 

Do you have info on all the places in the Northern Hemisphere then? That must take you a fair while to collate...

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

In fact, never mind the next week, but there's a real risk that most of the country could go the entire month of August without recording 25C. 

You must have come close yesterday and the day before? I'm sure it was 24c here in northants. Long sunny spells . Nice breeze.  Perfect gardening weather (for me anyway)

• Like 2

Posted
On 15/08/2021 at 20:22, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Another absolute festering pile of smelly horrible rat infested turgid rubbish of a weekend. After the 4 hour persistent rain event between 11 and 3 yesterday ( apparently supposed to have been the odd bit of drizzle here and there) we have had delightful grey skies and non stop downpours since about 2pm today. Absolutely shocking. And looking at the latest BBC chart for next weekend. Guess what? Another huge pile of low pressure monstrosity slap bang over the centre of the UK. You couldn't make it up. You just couldn't make it up. 

Repped purely for the first sentence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 16/08/2021 at 03:48, Nick L said:

Would be quite fitting for this summer. Utterly forgettable really, which having the 5th warmest July on record, is some feat. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

A picture to some up August around here. More like October 

79279099-0F60-456F-98D4-3018B92108A6.jpeg

• Like 2

So similar pattern with a transitory ridge building NE, fairly obvious really, offers a few days of fine weather for the very West (if you are lucky).

The means aren't worth their salt within such noise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny warmth, thunderstorms, frost
1 hour ago, seabreeze86 said:

A picture to some up August around here. More like October 

79279099-0F60-456F-98D4-3018B92108A6.jpeg

When does summer start? After the cold spring, we've had what seems like the first bout of a twofold autumn in our neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
26 minutes ago, northriding said:

When does summer start? After the cold spring, we've had what seems like the first bout of a twofold autumn in our neck of the woods.

Lol . we had decent spell here on the Isle of Anglesey end of July coinciding with NI's Temp record, quite Mediterranean for a few days, then August kicked in and straight in to Autumn ever since (and not the Indian Summer type).... 
This cool and cloudy north-westerly now entrenched over the UK  has the "feels like temp" here today at 11 degc .... (expletive deletive), almost tempted to fire up the Central Heating, which would be a first for August as far back as I can remember.

Still some light at the end of the tunnel come next week , when settled summer weather should see out what remains of this shambles of a summer for the most part.

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

What was todays forecast? ... a bit of patchy light rain ....
image.thumb.png.268d28b38b306486116bbaeff687f095.png

Edited by StingJet

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Would be quite fitting for this summer. Utterly forgettable really, which having the 5th warmest July on record, is some feat. 

32nd warmest for CET.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Today is utterly foul too. 17c and leaden skies and a nagging wind. More like Late September again, with another day bereft of any sun. Suppose I should be used to it the amount of these we've had to endure this summer, but it's still truly awful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I love to be positive about the future but honestly its like ground hog day all summer. Day 10 day 10 day 10 day 10 day 10, for it to flop as usual, personally I think for round my neck of the woods this summer has been totally rubbish bar a couple of weeks. No consistency with dry and warmer weather, looking at the week ahead then I would say rather depressive, and the future good forecasts keep shutting down.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Rammie said:

You must have come close yesterday and the day before? I'm sure it was 24c here in northants. Long sunny spells . Nice breeze.  Perfect gardening weather (for me anyway)

Yep, had a couple of 24s but not 25!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Muy Caliente, Muy Soleado

Has polar vortex season started early this year? Third day in a row with temps around 15-18c with heavy cloud cover, strong winds and spotty showers here in the NW.

Has to be the worst August since 2017 with no real prospects of anything better until, well, never as the models keep over promising and under delivering. 

I may just be able to get my sun loungers out again in another 240hrs. Pity I've been telling myself that for the last week or so. Think they are going to stay put in the spare room like a couple of lounge room lizards   

Edited by JayAlmeida

Posted

Guys, this isn't the thread (or anywhere else) to bemoan the quality of posts elsewhere. If you're not happy with the quality of posts in the model thread then either a) don't read it or b) make positive contributions in there yourself. 

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1