Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices. Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

2021 240 (up to 10th August)

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
52 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

It's been the same in the south west england too...really hoping we get a warm back end of summer and warm sunny September.  I'd really be interested to know why we have had such unusual weather patterns this year, it started with the cold but sunny april and went down hill from there

Even with the sunshine, I didn't find April particularly enjoyable. As soon as the sun went in or the breeze picked up slightly it wasn't nice to be out in. Not just summer, but I think this is shaping up to be one of my least favourite years in terms of the weather. Virtually no snow, with just a decent thunderstorm a few weeks back to show for it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It just goes to show how blighted East Anglia can be by drifting cloud of the North Sea, Northerlies etc. Today is 100% cloud, odd spot of rain, not warm and debatable if you were standing outside rather than walking/working if you'd want a light jumper/hoody on. It's the problem with TV weather forecasts that stop at a line from NW London via Cambridge to the Wash and then up the "East Coast" if I here the term "Clearing early from the East" which actually means clearing the Lincolnshire Coast at 8am, but not going of into the North Sea at Felixstowe/Lowerstoft until 8pm one more time.  

It also shows how massively variable the the weather can be over some very short distances can be in the UK. As you say only in "world" terms a very short distance between Lincs and SE Suffolk. Even between Norwich and Ipswich you can get a 3 or 4 degree difference and a different day as we tend to be more affected by say a SE'ly, whilst Norwich is only 20 miles from a Northerly whilst Ipswich in effect is 70miles so well inland.

Yet as per Nick F above East Suffolk/NE Essex have had a very poor summer. (Yes we had a few hot days in July and a week at the end of May) but I think we can count the number of days above 25 Degrees on one hand. Maybe we have just got used to better weather in the Summer than we are really due.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 12/08/2021 at 13:35, East Duckling said:

It just goes to show how blighted East Anglia can be by drifting cloud of the North Sea, Northerlies etc. Today is 100% cloud, odd spot of rain, not warm and debatable if you were standing outside rather than walking/working if you'd want a light jumper/hoody on. It's the problem with TV weather forecasts that stop at a line from NW London via Cambridge to the Wash and then up the "East Coast" if I here the term "Clearing early from the East" which actually means clearing the Lincolnshire Coast at 8am, but not going of into the North Sea at Felixstowe/Lowerstoft until 8pm one more time.  

It also shows how massively variable the the weather can be over some very short distances can be in the UK. As you say only in "world" terms a very short distance between Lincs and SE Suffolk. Even between Norwich and Ipswich you can get a 3 or 4 degree difference and a different day as we tend to be more affected by say a SE'ly, whilst Norwich is only 20 miles from a Northerly whilst Ipswich in effect is 70miles so well inland.

Yet as per Nick F above East Suffolk/NE Essex have had a very poor summer. (Yes we had a few hot days in July and a week at the end of May) but I think we can count the number of days above 25 Degrees on one hand. Maybe we have just got used to better weather in the Summer than we are really due.  

Today's murk isn't sea fret or low cloud rolling in off the north sea though. It's a decaying front straddled across the region that is responsible for the cloud
(see below)

image.thumb.png.1a549d286af65997d94db975444921dd.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

I'm sweating again (I hate sweating) and suddenly realising - with an unpleasant jolt - that it is still technically Summer.

At least the days are shortening rapidly now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Its very warm and muggy here today when the sun shines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
36 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Even with the sunshine, I didn't find April particularly enjoyable. As soon as the sun went in or the breeze picked up slightly it wasn't nice to be out in. Not just summer, but I think this is shaping up to be one of my least favourite years in terms of the weather. Virtually no snow, with just a decent thunderstorm a few weeks back to show for it.

It was ruddy freezing yes....Lets be honest with the draconian rules this god forsaken government has inflicted on us for 17 months and with how this summer has been we are all feeling fed up and just want something reliable that wont change every second! ☀️ ☀️

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
25 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Today's murk isn't sea fret or low cloud rolling in off the north sea though. It's a decaying front straddled across the region that is responsible for the cloud
(see below)

Yes agree its a decaying front, sorry I didn't make that clear. But the last few years we seem to be getting a lot of Easterly breezers drifting cloud in duign the day, cloud building overnight and not clearing, "dirty" Highs etc all in the Summer which we never used to get. Far to many days lost this summer where stuff has just lingered. Not forecast and lots of sunshine on the charts on the forecasts, you wake up see the thick cloud cover and know you won't be seeing the sun today as promised. Think I just must be getting old ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 12/08/2021 at 14:06, East Duckling said:

Yes agree its a decaying front, sorry I didn't make that clear. But the last few years we seem to be getting a lot of Easterly breezers drifting cloud in duign the day, cloud building overnight and not clearing, "dirty" Highs etc all in the Summer which we never used to get. Far to many days lost this summer where stuff has just lingered. Not forecast and lots of sunshine on the charts on the forecasts, you wake up see the thick cloud cover and know you won't be seeing the sun today as promised. Think I just must be getting old ! 

I'm not sure on the number of murky days now versus the past. Don't know if there is data on that! We had a lot of dull days in this particular summer though which has been a pain in the backside.

We do suffer in our patch though, even here which is 60-70 miles from the coast can still be plagued by haar. Especially in June when the sea is still cold.

We managed to record 0 hours of sunlight from the 17th-21st June this year here. 5 days in a row at the longest days of the year without a single minute of sunshine. Horrific. 

1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

(see below)

Amazing how it’s a spaghetti mess of fronts nearly the uk. 

Wonder where the nearest front in the direction of the read arrow? 

2FB0CB04-176C-4553-9B6E-136791D747AF.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

The forecast all week has highlighted today as the day we would be plagued by cloud...its actually as sunny today as it was monday...tuesday and wednesday were the poor days!

Posted

Mostly clear and sunny here with a temp of 22.5C and 46% humidity with a breeze. Pretty perfect conditions. I think southern areas have been quite unlucky this summer.

Edited by reef
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Another near perfect summers day. This Summer is certainly pushing a good 8/10 for most North of London. Nothing to complain about at all really to be honest. Outlook for late Summer is looking good also, so 2021 Summer proving to be not to bad at all!

• Like 3

Posted

The sun came out around 5pm this afternoon, after a whole day of thick cloud.

Still, it’s only my third day back in the U.K. but this summer will go down as one of the worst in recent years, especially for rainfall, and lack of long sunny days. Only 3 weeks of warm to hot sunny days since late May up until now, which is pretty dire for London and the South. 

• Like 3

The lack of sun since the start of May has been dreadful. We’ve only had 24days with more than 10hrs sun. Last year to the same date was 43, 2019 was 39 and 2018 56…

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Another near perfect summers day. This Summer is certainly pushing a good 8/10 for most North of London. Nothing to complain about at all really to be honest. Outlook for late Summer is looking good also, so 2021 Summer proving to be not to bad at all!

An 8 is rather generous, I would say a 7, if August continues in the same vein as it has been so far, I'll be nudging down to a 6, 6.5 tops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Been a lovely day here, reached 23c, currently sat in the garden in a t-shirt, can't complain tbh

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

An 8 is rather generous, I would say a 7, if August continues in the same vein as it has been so far, I'll be nudging down to a 6, 6.5 tops.

but for your location isn't April/May on average summerier than Aug?

Posted

Beautiful day here, albeit with a stiff breeze that wasn’t very pleasant to cycle into. 

Have to say the radar says that London and surrounding area haven’t had a pleasant time, seems a low has been permanently situated in the Channel. 

• Like 1

Posted

Dull this morning with patchy light rain - I had hoped for 3 fine days in a row as I've been replacing the shed roof (and have been waiting weeks for a good run of dry days) but yet again not to be.

If we get a fine second half of August this summer will end up as just about mediocre, otherwise it'll be our worst since the stinker of 2012.

Posted

Oh here we go again. Another dull cloudy start to what should be a nice summers day. 

What happened to our summers since 2018? 

It seems since 2019, most of the summer days are dominated by cloudy mornings, or longer periods of cloud. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely start again, really are being spoilt in God's own county. Breaking through sun, gentle breeze, perfect Summers day start. 

• Like 2

Posted

Yesterday a big disappointment as the decaying front brought a few hours of continual drizzle until about 5, then after a short warm break resumed heavy clouds from about 6.30. This despite my apps all saying it was dry and sunny!! Today hopefully dry but the signs aren’t great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Oh here we go again. Another dull cloudy start to what should be a nice summers day. 

What happened to our summers since 2018? 

It seems since 2019, most of the summer days are dominated by cloudy mornings, or longer periods of cloud. 

Yes, it's really depressing.  I found myself shouting at the sky this morning - 'where's the sunshine gone'!!!   Trouble is, it will be cloudy and threatening rain all day until about 5pm when the sky will start to clear and then it'll be cloud-free by 8pm when it's too late to be outside!!