Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I was abroad last week, but from what i've been hearing from co workers, family etc, its been a shockingly bad start to August, which is a continuation of a very poor summer in the South of the country.

A good spell for the rest of August, won't salvage this for me, as it will be still classed as a disappointment. 

I really long for a hot spell during mid to Late August, which is something we haven't had for a few years now.

I remember during the poor summer of 1987(a very poor summer)(, we had about 4-5 days of hot weather around the third week, which ended with severe thunderstorms in the london and southern areas. Hopefully this will be repeated for August 2021.

For most of the South it has been wet and showery. But for our locale we usually miss most showers from all directions so we've been far drier than, say, London.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

For most of the South it has been wet and showery. But for our locale we usually miss most showers from all directions so we've been far drier than, say, London.

Pulled up the cumulative radar image for the month so far at work. I live in the driest part of the UK for the last 11 days! 

image.thumb.png.758a34a35bd683f2da0a41496b501615.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Not sure where to post this, but have a look on the Holland, Michigan cam (which really is like the Netherlands and Scheveningen!) and see the kind of conditions we dream of. A nice, crystal clear blue sky, with a hot southerly, preceding an absolute monster on its way just WSW of Lake Michigan. This cam could get entertaining within the next few hours. 

https://www.cityofholland.com/645/MIHollandCAM

Posted

Guys, can we keep this to UK weather please? There is the international section for stuff like the above!

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Guys, can we keep this to UK weather please? There is the international section for stuff like the above!

Thought it was a fairly simple request, but to help those who find it difficult...

Posted
On 11/08/2021 at 16:42, AderynCoch said:

8C where I was today (High Tatras). Felt warmer though!

IMG_20210811_111832.thumb.jpg.d329eb6236ec43c919282905666ed509.jpg

IMG_20210811_112412.thumb.jpg.3c922b5c5ce4766a0d80607ea5fa2687.jpg

IMG_20210811_110652.thumb.jpg.90b3c9657e7ca808f8e0eedb9315b0dd.jpg

IMG_20210811_110542.thumb.jpg.38f8f35186f035a5f78aa080873729bc.jpg

IMG_20210811_113534.jpg

Very nice, but that's not the UK either...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Very nice, but that's not the UK either...

I blame the person who inadvertently left the word 'British' out of the title!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I’ll give a proper review of this summer of this summer on Sep. 1st but up to this point it’s definitely felt very changeable. I spent June in west Kent but moved to Islington on the 30th of June. Overall so far I’ve thought that for the most part it’s been a comfortable summer. I love the rain so I’ve been a fan on the frequent downpours. The days have rarely been freezing cold or uncomfortably hot. And despite being (or at least feeling) very wet I haven’t really thought it’s seemed overly dull, though a glaring exception was the second half of June which was exceptionally full, often very wet and cool too. But July and August so far it’s felt like there’s always been sunshine in between the downpours and the amount of days where it’s been cloudy all day haven’t been all that frequent here. I have noticed people in the area remarking about how poor it was. The lady in the post office was talking about how bad it was so public opinion in this area is seemingly negative. Plus we had two monster storms on Jul. 25th and Aug. 7th. My partners are workplace flooded on both occasions.

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/08/2021 at 15:22, Nick L said:

Pulled up the cumulative radar image for the month so far at work. I live in the driest part of the UK for the last 11 days! 

image.thumb.png.758a34a35bd683f2da0a41496b501615.png

Thats running a little high for us with about 23mm from the radar but more like 15mm in reality. Either way its been pretty dry so far this month here. Warm too, todays max of 23.9C means the average max this month so far is 21.9C, which is very decent for this area.

I think there will be a distinct N/S split on how this summer is viewed by the end. Here it has been fairly good. Warmer, sunnier and drier than average so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Its been disappointingly rubbish today, cloudy with a cool wind.

I dont ever really expect much from August but this year has proved particularly carp so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Another pleasant day in East Yorkshire today, reached 23c even with a bit of cloud about at times, still mild enough to be in a t-shirt half hour ago walking the dog,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

As long as it doesn't feel as oppressive as the last one, I wouldn't mind another hot spell with some good widespread thunderstorms before summer comes to an end. On the other hand though, I'd still be more than happy with temps in the 20 to 25 Celsius range accompanied by partly cloudy skies and a light breeze.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not the best day but usable I guess. Looks like tomorrow’s front will linger leaving cloud all day but very little if any rain. Then the rest of the week looks iffy at best. September will already be 31 days old by the time it officially arrives at this rate...

Posted

Whereas here its sunny and already up to 17.5C. Last night was quite warm too, still 18.8C at midnight but eventually fell to 12.6C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A few posts discussing berries and butterflies have been moved over to the Nature Discussions thread. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Have to say this is the year with no Summer. Here in East Anglia must be the cludiest, dullest and wettest (Maybe not in totals but in consistantly having rain everyday which stops you doing anything outside) with a complete lack of a consistant period of warm sunshine. No release of that heat over Southern Europe is the reason and it looks unlikely we are going to get one. Have to say this period from 1st May to 31st Aug has to be the most disapointing I can remember in 50yrs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, East Duckling said:

Have to say this is the year with no Summer. Here in East Anglia must be the cludiest, dullest and wettest (Maybe not in totals but in consistantly having rain everyday which stops you doing anything outside) with a complete lack of a consistant period of warm sunshine. No release of that heat over Southern Europe is the reason and it looks unlikely we are going to get one. Have to say this period from 1st May to 31st Aug has to be the most disapointing I can remember in 50yrs. 

Couldn't agree more, possibly the worst "summer" I can remember in NE Essex and I've lived through many. 

• Like 2

Posted

The heating hasn't been set to kick in at our office yet but sure could have done with it this morning.  Extremely chilly. ...... BUT having said all that it has been a very fine sunny morning. So not a complete moan from me today.....yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
46 minutes ago, East Duckling said:

It's been the same in the south west england too...really hoping we get a warm back end of summer and warm sunny September.  I'd really be interested to know why we have had such unusual weather patterns this year, it started with the cold but sunny april and went down hill from there

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, East Duckling said:

Odd - not too far north of you it has been dry and sunny for days, and the summer in general has been very agreeable. Not too much of the 30 degree stuff (which personally delights me) but bar the occasional clap of thunder and 15-30min heavy shower it has been anything but grim. Mostly blue sky again today as it was yesterday and the majority of days this season.

Posted

I take back my optimism from yesterday. Yet another damp, dreary, muggy day in the south. Just bring on Autumn and some decent storms.