Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Took the dog out just now - actually wore a bobble hat to protect my ears from the screaming wind. In August. 

Ive been pondering the idea of upping sticks but as others said it is difficult - especially without a genuine trade.

If I can’t move then I think I’m going to try and save a load of money over the winter and go on as many European holidays as I can next year to escape this awful climate (virus permitting).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Don’t worry, I’ve got the week of the 16th off so we can expect more of the current drivel on offer.

Likewise, definitely nailed on dross.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Does make me chuckle about the British weather being moaned at all the time, especially when we all know to some degree that we simply cannot generate the ingredients usually to provide those captivating storms, or sustain a nice continental weather pattern. We are the graveyard of the Atlantic at the end of the day and get the dregs of America’s events that have been watered down to nothing! If we are lucky, we get a Spanish plume that wafts up and brings decent instability, but that’s about as exciting as it gets for summer if it’s entertaining weather you are looking for. 

Referring to posts above, it isn’t too much of an inconvenience to go on a holiday for a week or so where there is decent, exciting weather like the alps, Italy or Central/Eastern Europe. Maybe not move entirely, as that involves a fair bit of money and effort, and I’m not one to assume that everyone has the priviledge of having tonnes of cash spare! 

Life however IS what you make it at the end of the day. So we could all sit, moan and do nothing, or indeed, do something about it!! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
48 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

But you’ve missed the point! I’m commenting about people not doing anything about how they try to cope with conditions they don’t enjoy. 

Don't forget mate if some folk haven't the means to move or mitigate ie aircon they haven't a choice. Some simply can't move financially or due to family.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
54 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

But you’ve missed the point! I’m commenting about people not doing anything about how they try to cope with conditions they don’t enjoy. 

I really haven't. You're making out as if moving to a completely different area is a reasonable, easy step to take (like buying air conditioning for example).

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Azazel said:

actually wore a bobble hat to protect my ears from the screaming wind.

!6mph wind is far from screaming.....that is the current wind speed in your area

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

!6mph wind is far from screaming.....that is the current wind speed in your area

Its probably gusting to 35mph in the convective showers that come through (EG Heathrow had a 31mph wind earlier and was on the outskirts of one of the convective lines at the time).

Its not screaming, but equally your somewhat underselling it as well.

Its breezy outside though, and in any heavy convection feels downright unpleasant with a gusty wind. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well each to their own. I love 30c and humid. Others would absolutely hate that. I am bemused when we get just ONE week of high 20's temps and it becomes insufferable but hey! That's just me.

Lol. 

I have no sympathy for people who can’t handle a week or two of hot weather, when they give you the usual treatment in the colder months with ‘its not that cold, just toughen up’ or ‘you obviously have poor circulation’ type comments. 

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

I can confirm that. Since the hot spell in July, done 2.5 to 3k mikes across the country, yet to meet anybody who preferred the heat to what we have now. Not saying ever single person does of course but i've not meet any of them yet on my travels.

Again, you are basing those facts on a handful of people you’ve discussed the weather with.

I can easily argue the majority of folk I’ve spoken to, are not happy with the current weather set up, and regard this as very poor summer weather. 

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

I can tolerate heat during the day if it cools down at night. It is when it stays in the high teens overnight and I can't sleep night after night that it becomes unpleasant. I'm surprised some people don't get this, perhaps I should blast music outside your bedroom window when you are trying to sleep to demonstrate how repeated disturbed nights detrimentally affect you. Seems to me some people are incapable of empathy.

I think you are missing the point.

Whats wrong with some warmth?

Days on end of 19-22c with cloud is utterly depressing for August. 

The lack of sunshine this summer has been the real factor, especially for the south of the country, and in my opinion it’s been a very poor one. Maybe not as bad as 2007, or 12, but close to 2011 that’s for sure. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

I really haven't. You're making out as if moving to a completely different area is a reasonable, easy step to take (like buying air conditioning for example).

Granted, moving away isn’t feasible for everyone. I have to remember that just because I did it without any issue, not everyone can and I apologise for coming across as flippant.

However, other measures certainly are affordable for the vast majority of people. Life is all about choices, at the end of the day. 

Edited by Blessed Weather
Political comment edited out.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

The lack of sunshine this summer has been the real factor, especially for the south of the country, and in my opinion it’s been a very poor one. Maybe not as bad as 2007, or 12, but close to 2011 that’s for sure. 

Talking of 2011 we are highly likely to pass 2011 total summer rainfall by the close of play today (there is an outside chance that feat was achieved yesterday in fact).

Beyond that it does look drier in the SE it has to be said, and we probably aren't going to see much in the way of rainfall between the 3-16 day period unless we get real unlucky with the pattern (which is always a risk this year!), the ECM ensembles broadly showing 10-20mm between 00z today and day 15 down here, with a decent chunk coming in the first 48hrs of the run.

Still a little early to peg the exact landing zone in the SE when it comes to total rainfall down here, but somewhere between the top 10 and top 30 wettest ever is the most likely location unless we have either a very dry spell from now on or a very wet remainder of the month, both of which are atm not the most likely solutions.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Does make me chuckle about the British weather being moaned at all the time, especially when we all know to some degree that we simply cannot generate the ingredients usually to provide those captivating storms, or sustain a nice continental weather pattern. We are the graveyard of the Atlantic at the end of the day and get the dregs of America’s events that have been watered down to nothing! If we are lucky, we get a Spanish plume that wafts up and brings decent instability, but that’s about as exciting as it gets for summer if it’s entertaining weather you are looking for. 

Referring to posts above, it isn’t too much of an inconvenience to go on a holiday for a week or so where there is decent, exciting weather like the alps, Italy or Central/Eastern Europe. Maybe not move entirely, as that involves a fair bit of money and effort, and I’m not one to assume that everyone has the priviledge of having tonnes of cash spare! 

Life however IS what you make it at the end of the day. So we could all sit, moan and do nothing, or indeed, do something about it!! 

There have been some situations where going on holiday hasn’t been the solution.

Lack of snow in December one year, and the lack of sunny weather in another. I just put it down to bad luck, as the weeks prior to my arrival and after my departure, produced snow in late December, and a long hot spell of weather in my Mediterranean destination.

Its still rare for that to happen, but you get my point.

Popping on a plane for several hundred pounds, isn’t really worth it, if all you are chasing is certain types of weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
28 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think you are missing the point.

Whats wrong with some warmth?

Days on end of 19-22c with cloud is utterly depressing for August. 

Nothing wrong with warmth, in moderation. Extremes at either end I don't enjoy, be it scorching hot or depressingly dull and wet. It is not a choice between one extreme or the other. I agree the SE has had a poor summer, and when it hasn't been poor the pendulum has swung the other way with 30+C heat. What is wrong with preferring 21-26C sunshine which is warm enough to enjoy the outdoors but stops short of being uncomfortable? Today was a very poor attempt at a summer day, however on a positive note the rain was intermittent rather than pouring down the whole day.

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol. 

I have no sympathy for people who can’t handle a week or two of hot weather, when they give you the usual treatment in the colder months with ‘its not that cold, just toughen up’ or ‘you obviously have poor circulation’ type comments. 

In other words you are complaining about other people dishing the same attitude to you in winter that you think is fine to dish out to others in summer.

I guess it has never occurred to you that some people are susceptible to health problems when the weather gets hot (hint it requires empathy). My former bridge partner was playing bridge on a warm humid summer evening when the room temperature was 30C. He opened a window for ventilation only to have some selfish woman immediately close it again. At the end of the evening he went straight to hospital, where he was examined and the doctor asked him what the hell he'd been doing, and if he ever got that hot again he was at risk of a stroke. He resigned his membership from that bridge club soon after.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

There have been some situations where going on holiday hasn’t been the solution.

Lack of snow in December one year, and the lack of sunny weather in another. I just put it down to bad luck, as the weeks prior to my arrival and after my departure, produced snow in late December, and a long hot spell of weather in my Mediterranean destination.

Its still rare for that to happen, but you get my point.

Popping on a plane for several hundred pounds, isn’t really worth it, if all you are chasing is certain types of weather. 

Are some people really suggesting if you don't like the weather then leave? If so, that is a really common and dumb logical fallacy.

https://www.bullshido.net/how-to-spot-a-bs-argument-2-ergo-decedo/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, al78 said:

Are some people really suggesting if you don't like the weather then leave? If so, that is a really common and dumb logical fallacy.

https://www.bullshido.net/how-to-spot-a-bs-argument-2-ergo-decedo/

I made a suggestion that rather than whining every year about few days of heat, people could actually, you know, do something about it. Moving somewhere cooler like the coast might be unrealistic for many, but there are a number of more affordable options to help deal with uncomfortable nights, etc. 
I said this because there has been a lot of moaning about (very limited) warmth and it transpires that some of these people haven’t even bought a fan! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Sounds as if southerners have really been having it bad this summer. In my neck of the woods, it hasn't really been too bad so far this month. There have been a couple of rainy days but that's about it. It has been bland but useable for the most part.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I made a suggestion that rather than whining every year about few days of heat, people could actually, you know, do something about it. Moving somewhere cooler like the coast might be unrealistic for many, but there are a number of more affordable options to help deal with uncomfortable nights, etc. 
I said this because there has been a lot of moaning about (very limited) warmth and it transpires that some of these people haven’t even bought a fan! 

Yes. The warmth has been limited to just 10 days this year (I regard warm as being 25c at least) . 10 days out of 365 is hardly excessive. The moaning about it needs a sense of proportion. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Again, you are basing those facts on a handful of people you’ve discussed the weather with.

150 to 200....handful? (ref a previous post).Across the country as well.

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

150 to 200....handful? (ref a previous post).Across the country as well.

I work for a large multinational company and as such have to liaise with colleagues across the country daily.

They’ve all said the summer on the whole has been pretty garbage and they miss the heat of a few weeks ago.

So who’s right? 

• Like 2

Posted

Problem is most of us know or are friends with people who are broadly of a similar demographic or likes range so we will all have something of a conformational bias within our groups. Even someone like @markyo will have that issue since he won't necessarily be meeting a broadly represented cross section of society.

Also I suspect there is a timing bias as well. For example in a long hot summer I suspect the % of people who want cooler/wetter weather would be higher than after a summer of rubbish like we've had in the south. One hot week in July cannot override nearly 4 weeks of trash prior.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I work for a large multinational company and as such have to liaise with colleagues across the country daily.

They’ve all said the summer on the whole has been pretty garbage and they miss the heat of a few weeks ago.

So who’s right? 

All i'm saying the folk who i have met face to face have told me what i have posted.

• Like 1

Posted

Some amazing skies here at the moment, a nasty looking storm is approaching from the W

5BE4716A-FE4B-460C-BA6B-D978CB8E0A1A.jpeg

78A1710D-88B5-41E0-B01C-66B975248E33.jpeg

035C7FFE-0604-41B6-94BF-B3C5E17FEEDB.jpeg

BB0F269A-863A-4FD6-926E-A02050F5483C.jpeg

• Like 6