Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
35 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

A whole weekend of festering dog poo. After yesterday's washout today just cool grey windy. And last night walking back from the pub was horribly cold and it felt like November. Today our temps are on a par with Iceland.  Utterly shocking.  

According to Markyo and Froze, this type of weather is what ‘everyone is happy with’.

Absolutely vile weather for summer.

Posted
54 minutes ago, Nick L said:

15C at midday in August. This summer is getting worse!

This is what we had in the summers of 1985-88, and those vile late 2000s summers of 2007-12.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

According to Markyo and Froze, this type of weather is what ‘everyone is happy with’.

Well each to their own. I love 30c and humid. Others would absolutely hate that. I am bemused when we get just ONE week of high 20's temps and it becomes insufferable but hey! That's just me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I can confirm that. Since the hot spell in July, done 2.5 to 3k mikes across the country, yet to meet anybody who preferred the heat to what we have now. Not saying ever single person does of course but i've not meet any of them yet on my travels.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, sarahng said:

Meanwhile, in Northern Finland it's 19 degrees with blue skies and sun!

Just sick!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 08/08/2021 at 12:55, markyo said:

I can confirm that. Since the hot spell in July, done 2.5 to 3k mikes across the country, yet to meet anybody who preferred the heat to what we have now. Not saying ever single person does of course but i've not meet any of them yet on my travels.

25c during the day is hot enough for my personal preference, i prefer it to cool off in the evening/nights so i can get some sleep, a couple of weeks back, the lack of sleep really got to me and definitely affected my work output, but everybody has their own preferences which is fair enough,

• Like 5

Posted
On 08/08/2021 at 12:47, Sunny76 said:

'Vile' is abit OTT

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Went out for a canal path bike ride; wet & windy, but with waterproof gear it's okay - but it's the type of weather you expect in October........A shame it's only early August.....

Posted

Currently 18c here, which is ideal for working outside, just having to dodge the occasional shower but first world problems an all that ?‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

So, what percentage of 56 million have said that to you? ?‍♂️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, Wold Topper said:

25c during the day is hot enough for my personal preference, i prefer it to cool off in the evening/nights so i can get some sleep, a couple of weeks back, the lack of sleep really got to me and definitely affected my work output, but everybody has their own preferences which is fair enough,

I can tolerate heat during the day if it cools down at night. It is when it stays in the high teens overnight and I can't sleep night after night that it becomes unpleasant. I'm surprised some people don't get this, perhaps I should blast music outside your bedroom window when you are trying to sleep to demonstrate how repeated disturbed nights detrimentally affect you. Seems to me some people are incapable of empathy.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

3k thats a stroll not a hike?‍♂️

I know what you mean though can't do much in the hot weather bar chillin with a cold one in the shade

I actually don't mind cool or hot just not so keen on the damp/drizzly/irish mist/soft rain set up

Not so good for me living in Ireland then but been quite a nice summer here so far?

Another month or two of looking for summery weather then roll on the hunt for cold❄

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

So, what percentage of 56 million have said that to you? ?‍♂️

I was just referring to those of the 56million i have met....how many have you actually met in the last 2 to 3 months? Total strangers, spread across the country. Just wonder that's all. A very polite question, no dig intended at all. My total i would estimate is approx 150 to 200. Never spoken to them before, never will again. I know this is a mathematically small figure but as i said, not one person out of that 150 to 200 enjoyed the heat. Their kids might have, their grandparents might have but i didn't speak to them. Never said nobody liked the heat did i?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Certainly a case of beware low flying teddies this August so far! Still time for a change though

Yeah, highs of 18°C in SE England in early August with howling winds and torrential showers....I mean, how can people moan about that? It’s not like the UK doesn’t get that sort of weather by the bucketful

Posted

Another weekend of poor weather in the SE. I led a walk this morning on which 16 initially signed on, five of us did the walk in the end (southern softies!!). It was pouring down on the way to the meeting point this morning, but once we got going, the rain eased off and it never really poured down again, when it did briefly rain it was light stuff that is easily tolerable. It was a good walk in the end which the other four seemed to enjoy, it helped the route was mostly on solid paths and tracks so very little in the way of squidgy sections. Whilst the temperature was ideal for a walk, I have to say that it really felt like mid October. Very dull, damp, and the temperature was only around 14C when I arrived at Staplefield which is very poor for SE England in early August.

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yeah, highs of 18°C in SE England in early August with howling winds and torrential showers....I mean, how can people moan about that? It’s not like the UK doesn’t get that sort of weather by the bucketful

And again, the max 18C with howling winds and showers arrives at the weekend. What is it with this run of poor weekends in the SE? Monday to Thursday last week was dry and fairly sunny, then Friday arrives and WHAM, cloud, rain, and autumnal conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Most of South coast is now clear of showers...as for howling winds...Yorkshire term is a nice breeze

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, al78 said:

I can tolerate heat during the day if it cools down at night. It is when it stays in the high teens overnight and I can't sleep night after night that it becomes unpleasant. I'm surprised some people don't get this, perhaps I should blast music outside your bedroom window when you are trying to sleep to demonstrate how repeated disturbed nights detrimentally affect you. Seems to me some people are incapable of empathy.

I certainly do empathise with not being able to sleep and its ill effects. Not pleasant. I’m lucky that warmth at night doesn’t bother me, but I do have a decent pedestal fan on when it’s hot. 
The thing that bothers me is the endless whining, year in, year out and doing absolutely nothing about it. Like investing in air conditioning, an air cooler for a bedroom, moving to Scotland or a coastal location, etc, etc. It’s just endless excuses, which gets very tedious.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I certainly do empathise with not being able to sleep and its ill effects. Not pleasant. I’m lucky that warmth at night doesn’t bother me, but I do have a decent pedestal fan on when it’s hot. 
The thing that bothers me is the endless whining, year in, year out and doing absolutely nothing about it. Like investing in air conditioning, an air cooler for a bedroom, moving to Scotland or a coastal location, etc, etc. It’s just endless excuses, which gets very tedious.

I was agreeing with your post up to this point. Because it's so easy just to up sticks and leave everything behind.

There is a particularly irony though about moaning about moaning in the moans thread!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I can't moan at your post....i'd be moaning about  moaning about  moaning on a moaning thread...my head is starting to hurt!

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I was agreeing with your post up to this point. Because it's so easy just to up sticks and leave everything behind.

There is a particularly irony though about moaning about moaning in the moans thread!

It’s not that difficult. Especially since working in an office has changed so much since the virus. If you live in London, for example, to move to the coast is an hour away. Hardly a huge inconvenience, is it? But maybe it’s just easier to do nothing and whine.

Posted
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

I can't moan at your post....i'd be moaning about  moaning about  moaning on a moaning thread...my head is starting to hurt!

But you’ve missed the point! I’m commenting about people not doing anything about how they try to cope with conditions they don’t enjoy. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Fear not though folks, I'm on night shifts next weekend so I fully expect a gorgeous, sunny and warm few days.

Don’t worry, I’ve got the week of the 16th off so we can expect more of the current drivel on offer.

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

My guess is your meeting alot of people who are likewise going on longer walks/journeys or of a similar demographic range as you, so probably your group is suffering from large confirmation bias as hiking in the heat really isn't much fun at all, especially if your carrying alot of stuff with you.

I'm willing to bet if I went to a beach in Bournmouth during the July heatwave and spoke to sunbathers I'd probably have very similar levels saying they prefer the heatwave to the cold/wet.