Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

I won’t apologise for anything.

I hope we get another blast of 27-32c heat, which lasts for about 5-7 days, with some lovely warm nights, mixed with some thunderstorms. 

Anything beats the vile cloudy crud of 19-22c, which has been a feature since 2019, during the summer months. 

To you maybe, but that scenario you wish for is my idea of hell.  The current set-up is ideal summer weather for me.

• Like 1

Posted

My ideal climate for the U.K. would be from January to mid March, temps of minus 5 to 7c, with long periods of snow, mixed with dry cold sunny spells and dry cold cloudy spells.

Mid March to mid May, temps rapidly rising to 15c-18c by day with some rainy days, and a few sunny dry and mild ones. Around the last week of April, we see temps reaching and exceeding 19-21c regularly, with clear sunny days.

Mid May until mid august, the first warm or hot days arrive between mid May until mid June, with long dry sunny spells with 22c -27c temps occurring on a daily basis. One or two thunderstorms mixed in, with some cool dry nights, but increasingly hot and humid as we move into mid June.

Mid June to mid august , 6-8 weeks of unbroken warm to hot sunshine with no rain, or maybe the odd rainy day, with temps remaining around 25c and occasionally exceeding 30c for 5-7 days on a average. Thunderstorms occur at least 2-3 times across a wider area of the country during this period.

Mid august to late September, the last of the warm or hot weather with 25c to 27c rapidly fading by the third week of august, and nights becoming less warm. 

Sunny dry and warm days but with a chilly northerly breeze making it fresher.

Mid September onwards, a dry autumn with cold frosty days, followed by a dry cold winter. 

• Like 1

Posted

This place is the same, Summer and Winter! 

"How dare you like different weather to me and mention it in here? Don't you know my preference is superior to yours? And didn't you know that your preference is far more dangerous to human life than my preference?"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

This place is the same, Summer and Winter! 

"How dare you like different weather to me and mention it in here? Don't you know my preference is superior to yours? And didn't you know that your preference is far more dangerous to human life than my preference?"

Yes, how dare you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

I used to enjoy the weather in the UK. I don’t anymore. It frustrates me more than ever and it actually affects my mental health and the petty arguments i get into (and yes, absolutely participate in and occasionally stir up) don’t help.

Sorry everyone

No need to apologise, the weather certainly affects mental health for many people (me included). 

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

you can see from this map the UK is one of the least sunny locations on the entire globe...

OHaEsE5gvooo7czRlTObIht4NSUrvxU1rxSebiz4mGw.png

Interesting that parts of the tropics e.g. the Amazon get sunshine hours not too dissimilar to southern Britain.

4 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

This is turning out to be one of the worst summers in recent years. Shockingly cool in London under the cloud and wind that has plagued so many days. We struggle to reach low 20s let alone 30s  Winter on the way....

Low 20's is far closer to average than low 30's though of course.
The last 30 days at Heathrow don't look too out of the ordinary for summer to me, Just one day didn't reach 20C.

image.thumb.png.b80ca328ed9a46c3a0798e38a04083a5.png 

A hot spell in there and cooler more unsettled periods, I imagine it balances out to not far from 'average'. 
I agree some poor periods in there for sunshine etc.

4 hours ago, Lord Grogon said:

Not disputing the graph, but I'm genuinely surprised the SE gets less sunshine than the SW of the country. 

I was always under the impression that given most of our nasty weather comes from the West and the SE is the driest part of the country, that would equate to more sunshine. I suppose like many things weather related, the truth is more complicated. 

It's a bit of a low resolution map. The Met Office one does show a slight tendency towards the SE over the SW.
image.thumb.png.45108f03caa7215d56704bc6e12f3d07.png

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

I used to enjoy the weather in the UK. I don’t anymore. It frustrates me more than ever and it actually affects my mental health and the petty arguments i get into (and yes, absolutely participate in and occasionally stir up) don’t help.

Sorry everyone

Out of interest, has something significant changed with the weather or more your preferences?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
2 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

This thread is hilarious, some people like it warm, some like it cool, some like storms, some like snow, some like winter, spring Autumn, summer, some like a mixture of the above, we are all different, with our own preferences to which type of weather we prefer but at the end of the day there is sod all we can do about it!

But could you just imagine the chaos if we could do something about it?  Snow in mid-August, heatwaves over Christmas, the weather changing every five minutes?  And the arguments: "no!  It's MY turn on the magic weather machine!". 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
10 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Interesting that parts of the tropics e.g. the Amazon get sunshine hours not too dissimilar to southern Britain.

Daily deep convection blocking the sun?

Posted
13 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Well from your location you don’t live here, I do and I’m betting the 6 days of 30 plus temps we had was what boosted it up. The others weeks weren’t great 

I don't but the Met Office do record for your area. The information was based on the link I posted. 6 days of 30 plus temperatures in Devon (plus a few other warmer days) when the average July max is 19C in Devon really show it was a very warm month overall. You can't just ignore the hot days and say if they hadn't happened it would have been the coolest July in living memory!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
9 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

This thread is hilarious, some people like it warm, some like it cool, some like storms, some like snow, some like winter, spring Autumn, summer, some like a mixture of the above, we are all different, with our own preferences to which type of weather we prefer but at the end of the day there is sod all we can do about it!

It is just another example of human tibal nature on here. Anyone who advocates weather someone doesn't like, that someone immediately takes it as a personal attack on their identity and must fight back. No different to football teams or nationalism.

• Like 5

Posted

I think some on here need to live in another country to experience the weather they deem 'normal for the UK' !

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, al78 said:

It is just another example of human tribal nature on here. Anyone who advocates weather someone doesn't like, that someone immediately takes it as a personal attack on their identity and must fight back. No different to football teams or nationalism.

And equally pointless!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
10 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

The constant bickering is partly why the moans thread is my favourite one on the whole forum. Who needs Netflix when you can just come on here? 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn, winter, snow, and thunderstorms.
17 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes and lets hope it performs its magic all winter with temps at 9 or 10c . 

Sounds lovely! Nice and cool. A sprinkle of frost, maybe a little snow day, but no big deal if not. Very kind of you!

• Like 2

Posted

Very wet early morning as that convective train set up above this area.

Since then definitely not a bad morning, though convection is always close by.

Summer rainfall total now upto 191mm in the SE as of the 5th August, placing it no.57 in the all time list. About to make the upper 1/3rd in terms of rainfall down here with still a large portion of August to go. This weekend will easily take us into the top 50. 

Afterwards a bit of a drier spell coming up down here at least, though how long it lasts is anyones guess really!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
11 hours ago, Simon M said:

But could you just imagine the chaos if we could do something about it?  Snow in mid-August, heatwaves over Christmas, the weather changing every five minutes?  And the arguments: "no!  It's MY turn on the magic weather machine!". 

I know I was thinking this whilst I was scrubbing the sink last night LOL!! That it wouldn't solve anything as we would still be fighting LOL!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
21 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Cloudiest cities in Europe

City and hours of Sun 

Glasgow, United Kingdom 1203

Reykjavík, Iceland 1268

Birmingham, United Kingdom 1364

London, United Kingdom 1410

Manchester, United Kingdom1416

Dublin, Ireland1424

Cologne, Germany1504

Vaduz, Liechtenstein1517

Brussels, Belgium1546

Hamburg, Germany1557

In comparison, even places like the Pacific Northwest that have a similar climate generally have over 2000 hours of sunshine 

London averages 1633 hours of sun for the 1981-2010 period, or 1676 hours for the latest 1991-2020 period. Not sure where that 1410 hours of sun is from, I don't think anywhere in southern England gets that little.

June and July, once you adjust the sunshine values from the raw data, only recorded 180 and 195 hours respectively. The averages for those months are 207 and 218 hours, and combined with the dreadful May, wondering when we are going to get a decent run of sunny months again?

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
21 minutes ago, B87 said:

London averages 1633 hours of sun for the 1981-2010 period, or 1676 hours for the latest 1991-2020 period. Not sure where that 1410 hours of sun is from, I don't think anywhere in southern England gets that little.

Here in the Pennines both 1985 and 1987 totals were less than 1100 hours of sunshine!

Posted

Yesterday we actually had a thunderstorm zip through which was fun, and again the cloudscapes can be wonderful. But it’s Saturday and it’s raining AGAIN! Agh. I’ve managed one beach day this year. Feeble. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
18 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

My ideal climate for the U.K. would be from January to mid March, temps of minus 5 to 7c, with long periods of snow, mixed with dry cold sunny spells and dry cold cloudy spells.

Mid March to mid May, temps rapidly rising to 15c-18c by day with some rainy days, and a few sunny dry and mild ones. Around the last week of April, we see temps reaching and exceeding 19-21c regularly, with clear sunny days.

Mid May until mid august, the first warm or hot days arrive between mid May until mid June, with long dry sunny spells with 22c -27c temps occurring on a daily basis. One or two thunderstorms mixed in, with some cool dry nights, but increasingly hot and humid as we move into mid June.

Mid June to mid august , 6-8 weeks of unbroken warm to hot sunshine with no rain, or maybe the odd rainy day, with temps remaining around 25c and occasionally exceeding 30c for 5-7 days on a average. Thunderstorms occur at least 2-3 times across a wider area of the country during this period.

Mid august to late September, the last of the warm or hot weather with 25c to 27c rapidly fading by the third week of august, and nights becoming less warm. 

Mid September onwards, a dry autumn with cold frosty days, followed by a dry cold winter. 

Closest UK came to that kind of continental climate was 1947 with a severe winter and hot summer.

More recently 2010 brought us a cold winter, decent summer, clear sunny autumn with the snow returning in November. I would settle for that every year!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

June and July, once you adjust the sunshine values from the raw data, only recorded 180 and 195 hours respectively. The averages for those months are 207 and 218 hours, and combined with the dreadful May, wondering when we are going to get a decent run of sunny months again?

Manchester sunnier than London? Someone is having a laugh  

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think you're describing the climate of New England pretty well, rather than the UK .

Meanwhile, Reading, which I usually think of as the town with no weather, is finally failing to live up to its name this summer. Just waiting for a weekend without frequent showers to fix the shed roof. At this rate it'll be next year...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
27 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Closest UK came to that kind of continental climate was 1947 with a severe winter and hot summer.

More recently 2010 brought us a cold winter, decent summer, clear sunny autumn with the snow returning in November. I would settle for that every year!

You having a laugh,June 2010 was great but the rest of the summer was garbage!

Posted
6 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

You having a laugh,June 2010 was great but the rest of the summer was garbage!

Here in Cumbria one decent month makes a summer and June was excellent. 

Anyway, any summer that is book ended by a severe winter is a good year!  

• Like 1