Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

A lovely morning over here in my neck of the woods. 20 Celsius and mostly sunny with a few fluffy clouds bubbling up here and there and a nice gentle breeze every now and then. It's forecast to be 22 Celsius today which is very pleasant indeed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
2 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Difficult sometimes to see past the crazy emojis and even crazier memes to make any sense of what's going on on their thread.

It’s like where science and cognitive thought go to die !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

There is regional variation around the UK, I can certainly say I find Lincoln's climate more interesting than Exeter's or Tyneside's for example.  Leeds and Norwich were two other places that I quite enjoyed climate wise when I was there.  However, I've seen the British climate referred to overall as a "jack of all trades, master of none" climate - we are capable of a greater variety of weather than almost anywhere else in the world, but the prevailing synoptic patterns and our position at the downwind end of the Atlantic mean that bland nothingness happens for the majority of the time.

Certainly having been on holiday to many parts of France and viewed some of the Munich webcams, I get a strong sense that I'd find the climates of much of central and eastern France and southern Germany more interesting and enjoyable than anywhere in the UK.  On the other hand, I can also think of plenty of climates around the world that I'd find less interesting than ours.  I think among those of us who like storms, snow and temperature variety, in Britain we rather suffer by comparison with our continental neighbours, but by global standards our climate isn't that boring.

All very true. I’ve thought those areas look interesting too, as well as the alpine climate. Proper winter but also decent summer that’s not too hot.

I wouldnt mind the long bland periods in this country if they come with much more sunshine!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Lush here. 20c and bubbly cloud. Proper English summer day.

Yes, very decent up here too.. very pleasant indeed and better than yesterday.  Just spotted this rabbit cumulus as well

20210804_130614.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SummerShower said:

Yes, very decent up here too.. very pleasant indeed and better than yesterday.  Just spotted this rabbit cumulus as well

20210804_130614.jpg

Sorry I typoed! It's 22c! All I can see is rude stuff in your picture LOL! I am still firmly in the hot camp but I am more than happy enough with a day like today too when I can actually see the sun!!! Would still rather see no clouds at all but hey beggers can't be choosers This is a good summers day for the south this year lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

All very true. I’ve thought those areas look interesting too, as well as the alpine climate. Proper winter but also decent summer that’s not too hot.

I wouldnt mind the long bland periods in this country if they come with much more sunshine!

That, in a nutshell is basically the one thing that would change the UK climate from grim to great 

• Like 2

Posted

Today has been one of those days that for me has been lacking this year - a bog standard summer day white fluffy cumulus slight breeze temps of around 23c - a bit of light sun burn !! Overall a great day here in the Surrey hills ! 

Edited by Badgers01
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

There is regional variation around the UK, I can certainly say I find Lincoln's climate more interesting than Exeter's or Tyneside's for example.  Leeds and Norwich were two other places that I quite enjoyed climate wise when I was there.  However, I've seen the British climate referred to overall as a "jack of all trades, master of none" climate - we are capable of a greater variety of weather than almost anywhere else in the world, but the prevailing synoptic patterns and our position at the downwind end of the Atlantic mean that bland nothingness happens for the majority of the time.

Certainly having been on holiday to many parts of France and viewed some of the Munich webcams, I get a strong sense that I'd find the climates of much of central and eastern France and southern Germany more interesting and enjoyable than anywhere in the UK.  On the other hand, I can also think of plenty of climates around the world that I'd find less interesting than ours.  I think among those of us who like storms, snow and temperature variety, in Britain we rather suffer by comparison with our continental neighbours, but by global standards our climate isn't that boring.

Yeah and I think this central slice of the UK seems to have good variety. Far enough north and east for cold and snow, also for NW polar maritime air, far enough north and west for Atlantic storms and far enough south and east for hot weather. I've experienced pretty much every extreme here over the years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
15 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Today has been one of those days that for me has been lacking this year - a bog standard summer day white fluffy cumulus slight breeze temps of around 23c - a bit of light sun burn !! Overall a great day here in the Surrey hills ! 

Totally agree - it doesn't get more August than today! Very little in the way of cloud here though, so almost maximum sunshine.

• Like 2

Posted

I appreciate it was nicer earlier today but right now, I've just got in, I'm going to head to my allotment and get something for tea...and I will come straight home again because it's not nice enough to sit out on the chairs and enjoy the weather. I've probably only had 4 or 5 of those balmy, sunny early evenings this whole spring and summer where I can just stroll leisurely around the allotments in t-shirt and shorts. It's just endless large clouds and the post-shower chill in the air. I don't feel like I've had a summer at all. And now the evenings are starting to come in and it's really noticeable that summer will soon be over.

And every time I look at the temps...it's seemingly always 19.c! Pumpkins think it's already autumn and have started to mature and the vines are dying. And with nights dipping to almost single figures, who can blame them.

I don't think the chilly spring helps in feeling depressed about the weather.

Sorry for the whinge, I do depend on either nice or exciting weather as a mental pick-me-up quite a lot of the time and it's not really delivering!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

And there it is. The slow painful death of summer 2021. Though some storms to look forward to.

Yikes I can see why they changed the wording on their medium term outlook !! 

Currently in one of the most boring runs of weather ever seen in these parts. The last 9 days maxes haven’t been lower then 20.1C while not exceeding 21C. Only 37hours of sun so averaging just over 4hrs a day. Miserable.

Posted

Since April and May 2020 it's basically been one long enormous Autumn/winter give or take the odd week or two here and there. And now we descend in to autumn once again on August 4th. Pitiful climate we livd in. Just pitiful.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Proper UK summers day, perfect temps, bit of sun at times bit of shade at times, nice breeze. Something for everybody, definitely nothing to moan about at all.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, markyo said:

Proper UK summers day, perfect temps, bit of sun at times bit of shade at times, nice breeze. Something for everybody, definitely nothing to moan about at all.

The stats clearly swing towards those enjoy eternal autumn and struggle with anything even warmer than room temperature. Already we are down to 18C, another 90mins it’ll be 16C and it’ll be too cold to sit outside the pub without a coat or jumper. Hopefully they’ll have the fire on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

The stats clearly swing towards those enjoy eternal autumn and struggle with anything even warmer than room temperature. Already we are down to 18C, another 90mins it’ll be 16C and it’ll be too cold to sit outside the pub without a coat or jumper. Hopefully they’ll have the fire on.

You forget....everybody is different, your cold is another warm, your warm is another's hot. 16c i wouldn't dream of putting a coat on, like many wouldn't, its not as you put it a struggle with anything warmer, its just a difference in tolerance. Your tolerance of cold i suspect is very low, that's fine, its not a struggle its just a difference in how you feel the temp. And before you say anything i work daily in temp/humidity that less than 1% of the UK population have ever experienced. I don't struggle i prefer, as do most.

• Like 7

Posted

Very nice day today, as other have said its the kind of day that has been in very short supply down here in the SE this summer, its either cloudy and coolish, or very warm/hot.

Anyway after a decent couple of days looks like the entire country is about to go down the pan into a rather unsettled spell of weather. 

Its hard to look past anything other than an above average rainfall month for the EWP at the moment, though still a little early to be that confident about that.

As for the SE, now above 2004 total rainfall and into the top 60 wettest summers with most of August to go.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

today makes the 15th Day this summer where the temperature has exceeded 30c..average for Edmonton in summer is 2 days annually. This comes on the back of recording zero days above 30c in both 2019 and 2020..been an exceptionally dry year so far also

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 04/08/2021 at 18:07, Alderc said:

Currently in one of the most boring runs of weather ever seen in these parts. The last 9 days maxes haven’t been lower then 20.1C while not exceeding 21C. Only 37hours of sun so averaging just over 4hrs a day. Miserable.

88B93A66-26C4-4D73-BE8B-603E3E4E863E.thumb.jpeg.c6adf896ab877e744a0b366eb7ae67bd.jpeg

Think we got lucky again today - In Weymouth all day and it was blue sky all day, as my picture on the beach shows! Looked quite cloudy not too far towards the east, so we must have got lucky. Sunny in Weymouth and to the west. It was glorious and felt pretty warm, even hot In the direct sun.

All change tomorrow though. No amount of luck will spare me the wins and rain. Sad my last 3 days down here look dreadful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alderc said:

20/21 is a perfectly good summer temp absolutely nothing wrong with that 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mb018538 said:

88B93A66-26C4-4D73-BE8B-603E3E4E863E.thumb.jpeg.c6adf896ab877e744a0b366eb7ae67bd.jpeg

Think we got lucky again today - In Weymouth all day and it was blue sky all day, as my picture on the beach shows! Looked quite cloudy not too far towards the east, so we must have got lucky. Sunny in Weymouth and to the west. It was glorious and felt pretty warm, even hot In the direct sun.

All change tomorrow though. No amount of luck will spare me the wins and rain. Sad my last 3 days down here look dreadful.

I think you’re right you have been a bit lucky with the coastal strip benefiting quite a bit. I was in the office yesterday and I’m barely a mile from the sea and we had long cloudy spells while I could see clear skies towards the sea.