Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Oh it's the first Monday in August, time for the tabloids to bring out the annual ' heatwave' forecast , scorching August headlines that we see every year!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

2021 hasn't really been a great year so far in terms of weather. Back in the winter we had the potential for snow on many days, the outcome as usual was no more than a dusting if any at all. Spring was mediocre at best as there was many late frosty nights and hardly any temperature progression apart from the odd warm day; it was also either too dry (April) or too wet (May). Summer so far I would say has been so-so. I am looking forward to finding out what autumn delivers. A stormy one would be good.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Would be nice to have some decent sunny days, though. Although the heat was uncomfortable for many, at least it was sunny. So important at this time of the year, especially as the rest of the year is often such depressing grey garbage. I’m sure there’d be very few complaints if it was sunny and 21°C

That's true.  I often enjoy the Sun more in autumn and spring, when the heat is usually less intense.  Nothing better than a fine October day with sun and 22C.

• Like 2

Posted

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

2021 246 (up to 1st Aug)

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

If the rest of the August has zero sunshine, rain days everyday and a mean max of 15C, the index will be about 187.

Chilly start this morning down to 5.7C

Posted
11 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

That is what is most annoying about the UK.  It's just the same old mediocre rubbish. Month after month. Even more annoying is BBC weather forecasts where they go "oh and normally in summer the jet stream is to the north of the UK' which is clearly a load of rubbish because the jet stream is usually loads further south bringing the usual boring terribleness. And it doesn't matter if it is spring autumn winter it is just endless. 

Absolutely agree with this - surely the "normal" position of the jet stream in summer is directly over the UK or to the south? It's abnormal when it actually shifts north and we get warm/hot weather.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Absolutely agree with this - surely the "normal" position of the jet stream in summer is directly over the UK or to the south? It's abnormal when it actually shifts north and we get warm/hot weather.

Agree, the mean would probably be over northern England or Scotland slanted SW/NE. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Back home and back to single figures, got to be joking! 9C this morning! Coat on! 

Aye, well expected to get cooler early mornings now! still warm in day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Well certainly not a cold start around here...pre work walk in shorts and t-shirt again, and a nice bit of sun to go with it.

26 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Correct me if wrong, but statistically isn't 1-7 August the warmest rolling CET period of the year?

Yep. Mins should be at their highest now, especially near the coasts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

The endless grey continues in London. Considerably cooler than average too. Could be April, September or even a warm-ish October day. 

I actually can't remember a summer this grey / lacking in sun in London / SE as this year, thus far. 2012 was pretty bad but I used to skateboard on an almost daily basis back then and I can recall numerous days, in August particularly, with clear skies and those long, sunny evenings that seem to go on forever. Tinge of nostalgia maybe, but this year is definitely up there with the worst IMO, especially after the god-awful May that we had. 

• Like 2

Posted

Not a bad start here, yes it was a cool start for the time of year but the sun is still decently strong for another month or two so it still feels pretty warm, especially in sheltered.

I'm still somewhat hopeful for the 3rd week of August to really get things more settled with an Azores high. I don't think it'll necessarily be 'heatwave' material like that last spell but we can still get very wonderful weather at this point.

• Like 2

Posted

I think the South East has received the 'normal' Scottish summer this year.

We've had an excellent summer up here so far and it has been quite dry though it has been a lot cooler yesterday and today with lows of 6C overnight but a pleasant 18 to 20 C maximum.

Even May was quite dry though also cold.

It also looks like it is going to return to normal conditions of unsettled going forward and may be quite wet by the end of the week but the garden does need it

• Like 1

A cool day, dry with bits and pieces of sun but the temps barely struggled to 20C. A poor effort, especially given this is one of the better days this week. Missing the warmth desperately. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely 20c today, warm, bit of blue, bit of cloud, nice breeze, perfect, whats not to like!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The sunshine makes all the difference with temperatures in the low twenties. A largely sunny day between 9am and 4pm today, bit cloudy before and since, but surpassing 22 degrees with next to no wind, it has felt very pleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Reached 20c but with the sunshine made for a warm feeling day. Good enough for me.

• Like 3

Posted

A moan from me.. not enthused by the outlook, typical return to unsettled and westerly.. I never like August!

Probably because I have a couple of busy weekends ahead and wanting good weather!

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

A moan from me.. not enthused by the outlook, typical return to unsettled and westerly.. I never like August!

Probably because I have a couple of busy weekends ahead and wanting good weather!

Wrong location for August, very Atlantic dominated month, more autumn than summer I'd have thought

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 03/08/2021 at 16:01, Alderc said:

A cool day, dry with bits and pieces of sun but the temps barely struggled to 20C. A poor effort, especially given this is one of the better days this week. Missing the warmth desperately. 

I didn’t find today too bad - was at Adventure Wonderland from 10am-3pm and the sun was out pretty much all day. One more nice day in Weymouth tomorrow before Thursday and Friday really will be in the doldrums. Wet and windy.

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Wrong location for August, very Atlantic dominated month, more autumn than summer I'd have thought

Yes often a poor month here.. I always rate it way behind May, Junr and July. The Scots have it right breaking up for school hols early July, back by mid August. August often feels like an endurance test, patience wears thin... and I just want to skip to September.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted

Improvement through the day to an acceptable level with greater area of grot further south. More grot to come later this week but hopes now raised for mid-month on. 
Some quite lovely cloudscapes really help a day.