Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
On 31/07/2021 at 17:21, seabreeze86 said:

Awful summers day her struggling to get above 13 Celsius. Most be close to a record 

I believe the July lowest maximum is 7.5 deg,set in 1978.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
25 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I struggle to get that low a max in January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Totally different second half of the day here. Plenty of sunshine, light winds and now a pleasantly warm evening. Much better!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Too late in the bloody day for this!!

IMG_20210801_183806952_HDR.jpg

Seems to have happened a lot, this summer where you are  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, MP-R said:

Thought you might be in London for a minute...

London was kind enough to send its teabag weather this way Good excuse for a roast dinner. My Mum has been giving updates about the weather in London, not a lot of positives lol

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Really where? Braemar under a cyclonic low giving heavy rain and a wind from the NE?

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

London was kind enough to send its teabag weather this way Good excuse for a roast dinner. My Mum has been giving updates about the weather in London, not a lot of positives lol

Hopefully won't last long, although the jet is on a southerly track this week so who knows what may get as far as you.

Meanwhile, dinner outside this evening in the West Country. 'Twas only 20 degrees, but with sunshine and no wind (makes all the difference), it was very pleasant.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Another weekend, another shower dodging episode on the allotment. I managed to get some work done today in between showers and having other things to do in the afternoon. This year has been the worst for trying to cultivate an allotment whilst holding down a weekday job, it is ridiculous the number of unsettled weekends over the last three months, and when the weekend hasn't been wet it has been uncomfortably hot. Doubtless the next break from the rain will be accompanied by 32C heat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Hopefully won't last long, although the jet is on a southerly track this week so who knows what may get as far as you.

Meanwhile, dinner outside this evening in the West Country. 'Twas only 20 degrees, but with sunshine and no wind (makes all the difference), it was very pleasant.

Sounds like a very nice evening there, glad you got to enjoy a bit of time outside ?? Low 20’s is perfectly fine, if sunny and with little wind. Looks fairly unsettled here for the coming week, with showers and temperatures in the low 20’s.  That southerly tracking jet can bugger right off back north where it belongs at this time of year

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Sounds like a very nice evening there, glad you got to enjoy a bit of time outside ?? Low 20’s is perfectly fine, if sunny and with little wind. Looks fairly unsettled here for the coming week, with showers and temperatures in the low 20’s.  That southerly tracking jet can bugger right off back north where it belongs at this time of year

We’ve really missed the worst of the weather for the most part. ‘Usable’ is the word (however annoying it is).

I agree - the jet does not live south if the UK in high summer! We’re in the warmest part of the summer now after all...

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone wanna snuggle up and watch a movie with me? Free chocolate cake and coffee included! ... Too wet and grim to be out. 17c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

E1ED4288-8E0F-4BFD-9BDA-761C5B5A1FA6.thumb.jpeg.0115d61a0ade9910ae45351bc78efd68.jpeg

Managed to get some decent lucky breaks with my holiday. Lovely day today on the Costa Del Bournemouth. 21c and sunny. Some huge showers weren’t far away from us, but we managed to dodge them. Had one 10 minute downpour in 3 days so far, so we’re doing well!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Must admit, work wise I find this weather particularly irritating. 

I endure it Autumn, Winter.,and Spring. 

Quite naively I generally hope for better in what could loosely be called Summer in this country. 

• Like 3

Posted

SE now upto 181mm for the summer (upto 31st July) which put the summer in the SE already above 2020 and now 2008 as well. Currently ranked at no.62 wettest ever but clearly with a month to go its only going one direction.

At this point even an average August takes us upto 19th place wettest ever. A wet first week looks pretty likely now though.

Whilst there are still hints for sure that the Azores high will probably make an attempt to ridge in during week 2/3 of August, there is large uncertainty as to whether or not its going to be long lasting. My personal gut is this pattern of dropping LPs has been very established all summer and I'm not seeing enough yet to only cause more than a bump.

Just for reference a somewhat wet August takes us above 2007. A very wet one could still end the SE above 2012.  I'd be tempted to say its highly probable we end up above 2007, 2012 though may well be on the top end of what is still doable. 

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

When I look back to how hot it was just a fortnight ago this weather feels like even more of a blessing.  To be able to work and go about other daily activities without constantly sitting under a fan, sweating and feeling uncomfortable is heaven.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am enjoying the cooler and less humid conditions. Could do with a bit more sun though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, Simon M said:

When I look back to how hot it was just a fortnight ago this weather feels like even more of a blessing.  To be able to work and go about other daily activities without constantly sitting under a fan, sweating and feeling uncomfortable is heaven.

I partially agree, but the constant unsettled weekends are a nuisance, and the last two days have felt like November again as far as light levels are concerned. As others have said we have weather like this for most of the year so it is a kick in the teeth to have for most of the summer as well. It is as if the weather has been correlated with COVID restrictions over the last 18 months. Just about every time restrictions have been eased, the weather goes into crap mode, at least where I live in the SE, when we are in full lockdown, the sunniest spring on record.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, 78/79 said:

Must admit, work wise I find this weather particularly irritating. 

I endure it Autumn, Winter.,and Spring. 

Quite naively I generally hope for better in what could loosely be called Summer in this country. 

That is what is most annoying about the UK.  It's just the same old mediocre rubbish. Month after month. Even more annoying is BBC weather forecasts where they go "oh and normally in summer the jet stream is to the north of the UK' which is clearly a load of rubbish because the jet stream is usually loads further south bringing the usual boring terribleness. And it doesn't matter if it is spring autumn winter it is just endless. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
21 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Really where? Braemar under a cyclonic low giving heavy rain and a wind from the NE?

Clashnoir,near Glenlivet,Morray,5th july 1978,presided with Northerly winds.

A little more worrying is the August max of 8.9 deg,here in West Yorks on the 28th 1919

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
23 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

That is what is most annoying about the UK.  It's just the same old mediocre rubbish. Month after month. Even more annoying is BBC weather forecasts where they go "oh and normally in summer the jet stream is to the north of the UK' which is clearly a load of rubbish because the jet stream is usually loads further south bringing the usual boring terribleness. And it doesn't matter if it is spring autumn winter it is just endless. 

Think you're right, this is  my 62nd Summer, and to be honest I can't recall that many memorable ones.  One thing the BBC weather  is good at is t..rd polishing. They get plenty of practice. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
42 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It's just the same old mediocre rubbish. Month after month

My main contention with this country's weather is the cloud. It has been especially bad in London / SE England this year, which is generally one of the 'sunnier' areas of the isles. I generally have many sunny mornings and evenings when commuting to and from work this time of year but 2021 this far has been an absolute cloudfest. The only days that havent been cloudy were the 1 week in June and 1 week early this month where we had the blast of heat, which was sudden and too drastic tbh.

It seems generally pleasant weather of 20 - 25 but CLEAR is too much to ask for in this country. It is either 19 degrees and cloud / rain or 32 degrees without a wisp of breeze to be felt. Little in between. I'm aware the north and Scotland have had a better run of it this year through. My friend was in the Lake District for a week in June and he had a full 7 days of sun whilst here in London we had I think 2 hours of sunlight over the entire course of that week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Think you're right, this is  my 62nd Summer, and to be honest I can't recall that many memorable ones.  One thing the BBC weather  is good at is t..rd polishing. They get plenty of practice. 

Yes. Even this morning they were banging on about the low pressure system for later this week saying it could miss the UK altogether and go south. True to form by 6pm this evening the low is now ploughing straight in to the UK. Bringing yet another rubbish weekend. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Simon M said:

Would be nice to have some decent sunny days, though. Although the heat was uncomfortable for many, at least it was sunny. So important at this time of the year, especially as the rest of the year is often such depressing grey garbage. I’m sure there’d be very few complaints if it was sunny and 21°C

• Like 1