Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, seabreeze86 said:

Awful summers day her struggling to get above 13 Celsius. Most be close to a record 

21st July 2007 takes some beating! never stopped raining, 12.5C approx the max

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
29 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

21st July 2007 takes some beating! never stopped raining, 12.5C approx the max

It hasn’t here most of the day when it has it’s been a drizzly mess

Posted
On 30/07/2021 at 09:53, kold weather said:

I think you do need to remember that whilst the area is indeed small, that area that was average or above makes up something like 40% of the population so it will obviously skew the postings.

Besides it really is hard to explain just how dreadful the 2nd half of that month was if you didn't experience it. Personally that period was up there with the worst summer periods I've seen. For my location we had Average-cool temps, 200% of average rain in about 12 days, 6hrs of sunshine in over 2 weeks.

It really was utterly shocking compared to average. Its not been helped by having a really shoddy May and a outright cold April (though at least it was sunny).

Overall though June goes down as a very regional month for sure. July will be wet on a larger scale as we are already above average in the EWP upto 27th and its only going one direction.

Wow 6 hours in 2 weeks really is bad. Although the 2nd half of June wasn't good here it wasn't that bad.

21 hours ago, Man Without Beard said:

I see some saying summer hasn't been too bad for them, but aside that 8 day heatwave, it has been absolutely filthy on the south coast. Worst since 2012, and if this pattern doesn't break soon, it might even be worse than that.

An out and out dreadful year, virtually nil snow despite more easterlies than ever, springless spring and now this.

It's interesting, I still think this summer hasn't been one of the really poor ones here in East Devon, and think that's more due to different weather conditions than difference of opinion.

It hasn't been a great one either, but probably 4 or 5 out of 10. Average maxima slightly above average (1C+ anomaly for July).

2012 is absolutely leagues worse than 2021 here:
June average max 17.3C vs 20.3C, July average max 19.4C vs 22.6C.
June rainfall 186mm vs 74mm, July rainfall 149mm vs 96mm

Sunshine has not been far from average for me.
I only got my solar sensor in 2015 but June 2016, 2017, and 2019 were duller (2020 similar), and July 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2020 were duller than 2021.

There is room for my rating to sink lower through August though...

April was also sunnier than 2020 here, and despite all the crisp frosty starts it had near average maxima.

Not trying to come across argumentative or anything if it reads like that, I just find it interesting comparing/sharing stats  Interesting how even longer time-periods such as a summer can vary over relatively short distances.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

Not just limited to this thread but on other threads too - I’ve seen a few people post the weather conditions whilst posting from thousands of miles away from European countries. It’s nice to see you’re enjoying the weather, but what relevance does it have when posting in a British weather forum? 

I’m a Brit that lives in Europe but I still work in the UK and have friends and family there. None of whom are interested in the weather at all, so this is the only place that I can chat about it! Plus I’ve been mentally scarred from 45 years of British weather, might be a few more years of moaning before I’m ok ??

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
43 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Sunshine has not been far from average for me.
I only got my solar sensor in 2015 but June 2016, 2017, and 2019 were duller (2020 similar), and July 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2020 were duller than 2021.

There is room for my rating to sink lower through August though...

April was also sunnier than 2020 here, and despite all the crisp frosty starts it had near average maxima.

Yep, July has actually snuck into the 200+ hours club here, joining April (which will undoubtedly end up being the sunniest month this year).

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

2021 251 (up to 29th July)

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

If the rest of this summer had a mean max of 15C, zero sunshine and rain everyday, the index would be about 185. 

Expecting summer 2021 to drop rapidly down that list in the days ahead..

• Like 1

Posted

First day in Latvia with the other half and the family.

Was cloudy when we flew into Riga early this morning, but a nice warm day with sun and broken cloud, so felt very warm or even hot at times. 26c this afternoon, dining out in the open garden, and a bbq few hours lster, washed down with a few tasty beers.

A thunderstorm was rolling in as darkness fell, so a perfect end to my first day away. 

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Expecting summer 2021 to drop rapidly down that list in the days ahead..

Good to see 1994 is in that list, as I remember it being a very hot July that year, and a thundery summer. 

Wasn’t aware that 1984 a better summer than 1989 or 1990. 

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

I’m a Brit that lives in Europe but I still work in the UK and have friends and family there. None of whom are interested in the weather at all, so this is the only place that I can chat about it! Plus I’ve been mentally scarred from 45 years of British weather, might be a few more years of moaning before I’m ok ??

August 6th thunderstorm of 1981, and the 1987 October hurricane have been etched in my mind, and also the January snow of 1987. 

If anything, 1987 was probably the year that started my interested in the weather, and I paid more attention to it from that point.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

August 6th thunderstorm of 1981, and the 1987 October hurricane have been etched in my mind, and also the January snow of 1987. 

If anything, 1987 was probably the year that started my interested in the weather, and I paid more attention to it from that point.

Exactly the same - and no doubt it helped being 10/11 at the time too. January 1987 got me obsessed with snow (but led to a lifetime of disappointments) Even in Canada there’s only been a few snowstorms that have come close to it. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Exactly the same - and no doubt it helped being 10/11 at the time too. January 1987 got me obsessed with snow (but led to a lifetime of disappointments) Even in Canada there’s only been a few snowstorms that have come close to it. 

It didn’t help, as December 1987 seemed to usher in a shift to mild weather. 

Posted
56 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It didn’t help, as December 1987 seemed to usher in a shift to mild weather. 

True - other than Feb 1991, nothing stands out for a long time after that 

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I hate the UK weather. To me apart from that ONE solitary week from 16 to 22 July this year it is almost invariably cold. I don't class low 20's as warm. I find you still have to wear a light jacket like today. Low 20's means by around 8pm it is chilly which is no good to me.  If I win the lottery I will go and live in Galle Sri Lanka. 30c by day. 25c by night. All year round. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Any truth in these media reports im seeing: African plume to bring freak 50C heatwave to our part of Europe in two weeks?  If this is true then the hottest days of summer are yet to come

Edited by 38.7°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

Any truth in these media reports im seeing: African plume to bring freak 50C heatwave to our part of Europe in two weeks?  If this is true then the hottest days of summer are yet to come

Two weeks? They can't get it right even just two days in advance. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
7 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Sensational headline trying to attract clicks from folks. 

Very similar to the headlines you see during winter saying "arctic blast set to bring 100 days of Snow. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, all those are etched in my mind, too. The August 1981 thunderstorms were when my love of thunderstorms started, even though they were pretty terrifying for an 8 year old!

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I hate the UK weather. To me apart from that ONE solitary week from 16 to 22 July this year it is almost invariably cold. I don't class low 20's as warm. I find you still have to wear a light jacket like today. Low 20's means by around 8pm it is chilly which is no good to me.  If I win the lottery I will go and live in Galle Sri Lanka. 30c by day. 25c by night. All year round. 

Hehe, fingers crossed you win the big one! The UK does get some pleasant weather and it’s not dreadful all the time but for me, it’s far too cloudy, too windy and often annoyingly chilly in the supposedly ‘warmer’ months. And while it rarely gets extremes, it also lacks exciting weather and the dullness starts getting to you, like Chinese water torture....drip....drip....drip.....the same as when it snows in London.....drip.....drip.....drip

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Watched the BBC Weather yesterday evening. After listening to 2 or 3 minutes of waffle, I thought to myself she could have condensed the whole thing into 3 words. "It's absolute sh.... te. 

• Like 2

Posted

A very wet day here, pouring rain all morning, more intermittent this afternoon and unusually cool at just 16°C. Only the second day like this, this summer so far though, so can’t complain.

Posted

Day 2 in Latvia, and another nice warm summers day, with a mix of cloud and sunny spells. 24c, so hot enough in the sun, but there’s a strong westerly breeze to keep the air fresh. The storm last night cleared the air, although humidity seems much lower here when compared to london.

Will head to the Baltic coast during the week or next Saturday, depending on the weather. 

For now, we are just chilling in the garden all day. 

• Like 3

Much warmer here today, up at around 34C but humidity low with just a 12C dp.

The same can’t be said a couple of hundred miles away in southern Italy. Some absolutely brutal humidity. Marina Di Ginosa currently 35C with a 30C dew point. I’ve experienced high twenties dew points in Africa and the Caribbean and it’s tough work. 30C must be amongst the highest dew points ever recorded in Europe. Heat index there currently 53C 

8AFC14FD-2BE0-410B-B04C-DB6C60B455F2.thumb.jpeg.1900513df869b2659b4bb03e7a83eec0.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

A very wet day here, pouring rain all morning, more intermittent this afternoon and unusually cool at just 16°C. Only the second day like this, this summer so far though, so can’t complain.

Thought you might be in London for a minute...

• Like 3