Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

During the recent hot sunny spell, the outdoor temperatures were fine for me, rather on the hot side of comfortable at times, but not excessively so.  It was the indoor temperatures that got a bit much towards the end of the spell.  I had contemplated getting an air con system myself but in the end I concluded that it wasn't worth it when my living room gets uncomfortably hot for maybe around 10 days per year, and in future years I'll probably have the option of working from an air conditioned office on at least some of those days.   Perhaps as climate change progresses, an air con system will become more of an attractive investment.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I wasn’t aware you were omnipotent and know where I’ve been and who I’ve spoken to over the past couple of weeks! 

Your talents are clearly wasted on a weather forum

Posted

Have we skipped a couple of months! Oh dear it's all rather miserable weather at present. Last week becoming a long distant memory. We seem to be switching between spells of cold or warm dry weather and then cold/cool wet weather this year. The switches being very marked and sudden as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Overall? For me, this summer so far has been very much in the "average" category. Possibly I didn't have huge expectations after the appalling dross that was May, but it's frequently been warm enough that I've chosen to sit outside to eat even now we don't have to. Apart from the recent spell not much really warm weather, but that's fine by me. Too much cloud, but the Severn Valley usually suffers from that (spring 2020 excepted).

Today has been supremely grotty, though. Rain lingering for hours longer than forecast and 13 °C for much of the afternoon. That really did bring back memories of May. Anyone who likes this weather, fair enough. I don't.

Forecast for round here is... meh. Not absolutely awful in this neck of the woods, and 19-20 °C in August will feel fine when the sun's out. Not exactly looking like a summer that will live long in the memory, though.

• Like 1

Posted

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

2021 251 (up to 29th July)

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

If the rest of this summer had a mean max of 15C, zero sunshine and rain everyday, the index would be about 185. 

• Thanks 2

Warm one this morning, already 31C at just 9:30 today I’ll mainly be laying by the pool, sleeping and having the occasional swim. Temps likely to max out about 36C before the breeze picks up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Summers in order with the best at the top and the worst at the bottom

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

2021 251 (up to 29th July)

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

If the rest of this summer had a mean max of 15C, zero sunshine and rain everyday, the index would be about 185. 

How this year has got so high in the list i will never know,am guessing it is going to drop like a stone from now on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Not a moan about the weather; more one about people.

I'm sick of having to explain to/argue with people on social media about the fact that 'silent' lightning doesn't exist. What is so hard to understand for these dummies about lightning at dusk/night being visible far outside the range of the shockwave it produces? And of course, pretty much all of these people spell 'lightning' wrong for starters ?‍♂️

• Like 5

Posted
30 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Warm one this morning, already 31C at just 9:30 today I’ll mainly be laying by the pool, sleeping and having the occasional swim. Temps likely to max out about 36C before the breeze picks up.

Here’s an idea.

Now you’re away in a hot place rather than slumming it in your much touted terrible weather weekend in mid-late teens showery Torquay, don’t rub it in to those of us left here and instead enjoy your time without the trolling!

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

I’m guessing you’re on holiday? I’m jealous.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
32 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Here’s an idea.

Now you’re away in a hot place rather than slumming it in your much touted terrible weather weekend in mid-late teens showery Torquay, don’t rub it in to those of us left here and instead enjoy your time without the trolling!

Fwiw Andy, somewhere between both respective places would be most ideal. You just know that if we had those temps here, a certain list of members would be hyperventilating already...

Bright but mostly cloudy this morning, very little breeze though, and 16 degrees. Another September morning.

• Like 2

Posted

I was very glad to have the period of heat, as it was the weather I always hope for when I take a summer holiday to the Med. But for me a holiday abroad is a distant hope now thanks to a mixture of matters including the virus and Brexit but not exclusively so. So some of my nigglyness is due to having to having no break away. Current weather doesn’t help at all as it drives home how much I feel I’m missing. 
I really feel for the campers in Cornwall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
On 31/07/2021 at 08:42, Alderc said:

Ha, can't think of anything worse!

Edited by simshady
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
28 minutes ago, simshady said:

Ha, can't think of anything worse!

To true....holiday in hell....literally!!

• Like 3

Posted
47 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Fwiw Andy, somewhere between both respective places would be most ideal. You just know that if we had those temps here, a certain list of members would be hyperventilating already...

Bright but mostly cloudy this morning, very little breeze though, and 16 degrees. Another September morning.

I completely agree, I also agree with much of AlderC’s moaning about this summer down South.

There’s just no need to constantly moan then rub it in when getting away to considerably different conditions!

I’m not minding 16c and cloudy because it’s dry and we can get out and have fun as well as sort washing etc.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Lance M said:

I'm sick of having to explain to/argue with people on social media about the fact that 'silent' lightning doesn't exist. What is so hard to understand for these dummies about lightning at dusk/night being visible far outside the range of the shockwave it produces? And of course, pretty much all of these people spell 'lightning' wrong for starters ?‍♂️

Yes I hate that too. I also hate the term 'mini' heatwave, a heatwave is a period of heat around 5 degrees warmer than average. So it's a heatwave or it isn't, there is no 'mini' !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Lance M said:

Seems to be an explosion in the UK of low IQ chavs in recent years.

Had plenty of silent lightning here later yesterday evening. I was watching it on the SW horizon for quite a while. Fair bit of it too, from storms moving in from S Germany but there was no thunder at all. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Lance M said:

There’s a Facebook group about the weather in the south west I follow for some reason and the admin is absolutely clueless about the weather and just garners forecast information from elsewhere and passes it off as his/her own.

Bizarrely it has a really sizeable following who also know nothing about the weather and take his/her forecasts as gospel.

The other week before the thunder breakdown they posted a textbook shot of some Undulatus Aspiratus and described it as ‘nimbostratus’ to which I had to comment and correct them.

They replied to me and said ‘no I think it’s nimbostratus’ (it was definitely not) and their comment got like 50 likes.

really wound me up 

• Like 4

Posted

Not just limited to this thread but on other threads too - I’ve seen a few people post the weather conditions whilst posting from thousands of miles away from European countries. It’s nice to see you’re enjoying the weather, but what relevance does it have when posting in a British weather forum? 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 31/07/2021 at 13:03, Azazel said:

There’s a Facebook group about the weather in the south west I follow for some reason and the admin is absolutely clueless about the weather and just garners forecast information from elsewhere and passes it off as his/her own.

Bizarrely it has a really sizeable following who also know nothing about the weather and take his/her forecasts as gospel.

The other week before the thunder breakdown they posted a textbook shot of some Undulatus Aspiratus and described it as ‘nimbostratus’ to which I had to comment and correct them.

They replied to me and said ‘no I think it’s nimbostratus’ (it was definitely not) and their comment got like 50 likes.

really wound me up 

Yeah I've seen a lot of this sort of thing! The worst one is a page called  'Thunderstorm Updates' and it's full of idiots and misinformation about weather and thunderstorms. The owner even posts Daily Express apocalyptic weather headline links in there. 

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Awful summers day her struggling to get above 13 Celsius. Most be close to a record 

Edited by seabreeze86
  • Like 1

Posted
On 31/07/2021 at 15:33, Josh Rubio said:

Not just limited to this thread but on other threads too - I’ve seen a few people post the weather conditions whilst posting from thousands of miles away from European countries. It’s nice to see you’re enjoying the weather, but what relevance does it have when posting in a British weather forum? 

Because it's not just a British weather forum. There's an international section but hardly anyone takes interest in it apart from the North American thread (a Slovakia thread would get completely ignored!). Besides, I posted on here from the UK for years so why break the habit of a lifetime?

Anyway, 30C and sunny today if you were interested.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
On 31/07/2021 at 14:33, Josh Rubio said:

This forum is open to anyone from around the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1