Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

My uncle said, that was mainly the standard weather for autumn and winter, even back in the early to mid 1970s.

Winters like 78/79, or 81/82 were still the exception to the rule, and summers of 75/76, or 83/84 again, were the exception to the standard mediocre weather.

This year seems a little similar to 1982, which had a largely dull wet June, but was quite warm at times. 

I also remember some 90s years when July was unsettled and cool, 1992, and 93 spring to mind.

Yes, agree with all of that, speaking to older folk( and reading the Met Office monthly reports) the weather has changed very little over the last 40 years. People have selective memories.I think when you read the reports for the winter of 1981/82 that folk bang on about, temps were way lower in the feb/march 2018 cold spell. Down here anyway. 1976 was exceptional though. 

As for this summer, it has been truly awful down here in London. And I'm one that doesn't really mind wind and rain. But this is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Anyway, not sure the poor weather in the south is being ignored, in here we never hear the end of it! 

In June, it was a pretty small geographical area of the UK that was wet, but it made up the majority postings in here.

image.thumb.png.22584bc6ef7f30a10393572d469b37a9.png

I guess it is the 'moans thread', but also the only (non-regional) thread to chat about UK weather conditions.

Yeah, but the sun always shines in Wimbledon.

I'm stuck in grotty Acton lol.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Yes, agree with all of that, speaking to older folk( and reading the Met Office monthly reports) the weather has changed very little over the last 40 years. People have selective memories.I think when you read the reports for the winter of 1981/82 that folk bang on about, temps were way lower in the feb/march 2018 cold spell. Down here anyway. 1976 was exceptional though. 

As for this summer, it has been truly awful down here in London. And I'm one that doesn't really mind wind and rain. But this is ridiculous. 

Yes, I remember early March 2018 or the last day of February feeling very cold. Walking across Hyde Park around midday, with the snow on the ground, and a windchill of minus 11 was very cold. I think the daytime max struggled to reach minus 1 or -2 that day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
35 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Brutal cold weather still does make an appearance, but its not as severe as it once was, compared to the mid 90s or earlier.

Latvia was still very cold this past winter,  but the most notable thing over there is, the summers have become warmer. The Uk however, hasn't benefited from warmer summers, as they seem to be largely dull, and sometimes often cool and wet. 

Think we get intense spells of cold weather but widespread lengths of freezing conditions not as common as 3 decades or so back. The Siberian block of cold hardly now holds much further west than Warsaw , as we saw this past winter even though the Atlantic was in -ve mode for much of the winter. I have not experienced a full British summer since the Mid Nineties but reading  the posts on here, variability seems to be order of the day with extremes of type on the increase. My friends in Sussex not happy with this summer ( against the trend for nice summers down there) and those up North more than satisfied so far ! Back in the Austrian Alps the mixed summer continues to provide days of heat mixed with many cloudy wet days .

C

Posted
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, but the sun always shines in Wimbledon.

I'm stuck in grotty Acton lol.

Oh Acton ain't that bad mate. You can see Wembley from there, when the drizzle clears.

Not much sun in SW19 these days. Local weather station down road in Morden is reporting July rain at 280% of normal. That's pretty awesome. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Oh Acton ain't that bad mate. You can see Wembley from there, when the drizzle clears.

Not much sun in SW19 these days. Local weather station down road in Morden is reporting July rain at 280% of normal. That's pretty awesome. 

I can see the Wembley arch through the trees between early October, until around early April. Although this year, it was almost May,  due to the cold April.

Mind you, I could stare at that arch all day from my flat, and it still wouldn’t help Marcus Rashford score a penalty kick. But, that’s another story! lol 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Had to drive to work this morning with the heater fully on. Lights on. Through the murky drizzle and this was at 08.30. And apparently it is July.

It’s the grey dull weather that makes these mornings feel like autumn. 

This was my main concern after losing the hot sunny weather of last week. It cools down, and now we are left with terrible weather. 

Its not even usable, because of the rain.

• Like 2

Posted
53 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Anyway, not sure the poor weather in the south is being ignored, in here we never hear the end of it! 

In June, it was a pretty small geographical area of the UK that was wet, but it made up the majority postings in here.

image.thumb.png.22584bc6ef7f30a10393572d469b37a9.png

I guess it is the 'moans thread', but also the only (non-regional) thread to chat about UK weather conditions.

I think you do need to remember that whilst the area is indeed small, that area that was average or above makes up something like 40% of the population so it will obviously skew the postings.

Besides it really is hard to explain just how dreadful the 2nd half of that month was if you didn't experience it. Personally that period was up there with the worst summer periods I've seen. For my location we had Average-cool temps, 200% of average rain in about 12 days, 6hrs of sunshine in over 2 weeks.

It really was utterly shocking compared to average. Its not been helped by having a really shoddy May and a outright cold April (though at least it was sunny).

Overall though June goes down as a very regional month for sure. July will be wet on a larger scale as we are already above average in the EWP upto 27th and its only going one direction.

• Like 2

Posted

31C and sunny. It's been a very good summer here so far, much better than last year. Sunniest, third warmest and probably one of the driest Junes on record followed by a less exceptional but still hot and sunny July. Virtually all of the rainfall has been from thunderstorms.

The only thing missing so far is a really big storm but there's still plenty of time for that (we've had a few near misses). Nothing remotely autumnal here, just how I like it when it's not even August yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I was hoping to catch up on my allotment but yet another wet weekend is forecast. This afternoon, wet, Saturday afternoon, wet, Sunday afternoon, wet. Is it against the law to have one or two dry weekends with temperatures in the low 20's?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s the grey dull weather that makes these mornings feel like autumn. 

This was my main concern after losing the hot sunny weather of last week. It cools down, and now we are left with terrible weather. 

Its not even usable, because of the rain.

I feel like hibernating ... I'm chilly!

Posted
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Heaven! 30C, 22C dew point. Light breeze absolutely lovely. 

You're obviously typing in your sleep whilst dreaming! 

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Heaven! 30C, 22C dew point. Light breeze absolutely lovely. 

I'm well jel! Cloudy, windy and just scrapped 19c here

Posted
6 minutes ago, Don said:

You're obviously typing in your sleep whilst dreaming! 

He's escaped and got on that winged thing!

• Like 4

Posted

Rainfall difference between Scotland and SE England is going to be stark for this June and July. Even today, the rain band has just reached the Borders and most of Scotland is currently dry.

102mm for Scotland up to 28th July

172mm for SE England up to 28th July

Scotland has had about 60% of their average June and July rainfall, whilse SE England has has about 170% of theirs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

According to my app. We are currently 3c below Iceland and only 2c above the Faroes.  The only difference is its sunny in those two locations and lashing it down and 14c in Dudley. In July. 

Think I’d rather have the 12c and sun on offer in Torshavn than the 14c and monsoonal rain you’ve got there. So bad. As usual in the UK it just seems it’s either nice or absolutely terrible. Nothing in between.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

He's escaped and got on that winged thing!

Oh yes, I remember doing that back in the day! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, DCee said:

I read a report last week about the effects of climate change on the UK economy. Huge report covering many areas including the science behind what the changes will likely be weatherwise. Highlighted was the fact the media seem to only focus on the heat e.g. '40C UK summers', which is a possibility but only during heat waves which are actually predicted to decline in longevity. The huge increase in rain and wind was highlighted as the major costs, and not only in money but to the populations mental health. They expect winter to blend with Autumn and to last for the majority of the year along with shorter 'summers'. Scandinavia is a winner of sorts with longer summers and shorter winters, but dryer. Sounded like the UK will be trapped in trough type weather with HP over Greenland & Scandinavia to me. Going forward there are concerns about mental health with long spells of limited sunshine.

Pretty dire reading. 

Yes, and if there’s one thing that the UK could do with a lot more of, and not even less, is sunshine ☀️ 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

31C and sunny. It's been a very good summer here so far, much better than last year. Sunniest, third warmest and probably one of the driest Junes on record followed by a less exceptional but still hot and sunny July. Virtually all of the rainfall has been from thunderstorms.

The only thing missing so far is a really big storm but there's still plenty of time for that (we've had a few near misses). Nothing remotely autumnal here, just how I like it when it's not even August yet.

Sounds nice! Been quite different here in Czech, but still a pretty great summer, so far with plenty of warm days, lots of sunshine, a lot of rain too to keep everything looking green and fresh. The vast majority of the rainfall has come from convection, too with Prague having 3 occasions when it was hit by supercells! And I witnessed them all, absolutely fantastic ?? Never to be forgotten.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Rainfall difference between Scotland and SE England is going to be stark for this June and July. Even today, the rain band has just reached the Borders and most of Scotland is currently dry.

102mm for Scotland up to 28th July

172mm for SE England up to 28th July

Scotland has had about 60% of their average June and July rainfall, whilse SE England has has about 170% of theirs.

Yep its definitely been a lopsided summer compared to the average!

The SE has as of the 28th already overtaken the total rainfall of 2016/2008/2002 and only a few mm behind 2019 which probably has already been overtaken due to todays rain.

Pretty clear the SE is coming in above average since its already there, but the real question is whether it just ends up being a wet summer, or an exceptionally wet summer.

My inkling is the Azores high will come in for a 7-10 days period in August which may prevent this summer heading into the top 10 ranking, but I still suspect a top 30 ranking is quite possible atm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Yes, pleasantly warm sunny days have been few and far between this summer. It's either damp and gloomy or you are sweating like a pig. I am personally not too fussed about the rain for the time being as my area could do with it but I don't want the rest of the summer ending up on a sour note either. Give me a nice pleasant partly cloudy 22 Celsius day with a light breeze and comfortable humidity until the middle of September and I'd be more than happy.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 hours ago, Azazel said:

Funny how that works - not one person I know was relishing the return to the current dross and everyone I spoke to was enjoying the warm summer weather. Confirmation bias as its best.

And where did you gather this information? Home to work, same folk you normally engage with? I didn't know a single person i was speaking to, i covered a good 75% of England in the last 14 to 20 days. Confirmation that i have a far wider sample of opinions! 

• Like 2