Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

End of July 2021 reminding me strongly of last 10 days of July 2015 which were shockingly cool and wet. Perhaps not as bad as then. We've had a few poor ends to July in recent years, 2014 I think from memory, 2015, 2018. 2020 did a flip on 31st with the start of a notable heatwave.. seems to be a time of extremes. Not surprising given we are in the heart/core of high summer, when entrenched extreme weather often occurs be it wet/thundery, or exceptionally dry and hot.. this year we have stormy in the mix!

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, sarahng said:

Really chilly feel to the morning here today; the sky (when you can see it) seems to have lost that deep summer blue already.  Feeling very melancholy about it all.  I had a whole 10 days of wearing flip flops - now back to the socks and dog walking sensible lace-ups!

Back to two layers inside the flat, one of which is the fleece, and I'm contemplating putting the electric heater on, but I'll resist! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

that's late July oop norf! fleeces and heaters, definitely first signs of autumn for many N of Manchester

• Like 1

Posted

I noticed it was slightly less light at 5am, which is my waking up time, when compared to just a week ago. By mid august, the darkness will be creeping past my waking up time, and by mid September it will be dark when I leave for work. The long dark decline begins much earlier for those of us who have to work 12 hour days.

This is why I dread the darker months now, more so than ever. Those 4 months since early April seem to always go too quick.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
52 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Back to two layers inside the flat, one of which is the fleece, and I'm contemplating putting the electric heater on, but I'll resist! 

Supposed to be a dry day only for it to have rain and drizzle until tea with a brisk wind.Trying to work on my roof when it finally dried up and it was just too blustery for me in a thin jumper i very reluctantly had to reach for my coat.I know we all have different thermometers but can we have 29 deg,humid,sunny and sweating buckets back please with all the coldy Lizzards moaning because it is above 20 deg PLEASE!

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Supposed to be a dry day only for it to have rain and drizzle until tea with a brisk wind.Trying to work on my roof when it finally dried up and it was just too blustery for me in a thin jumper i very reluctantly had to reach for my coat.I know we all have different thermometers but can we have 29 deg,humid,sunny and sweating buckets back please with all the coldy Lizzards moaning because it is above 20 deg PLEASE!

Yes. I believe we were on a par with SW Iceland today. Phew. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Agree. Some people believe it’s ‘autumnal’ just because we’re not sweating our t**s off in 32c heat. 

A full week of discomfort with hot days and sultry nights was more than enough for me. 

A full week out of 52, goodness, you must be exhausted! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 29/07/2021 at 23:21, stainesbloke said:

Well luckily I was on leave from work. Otherwise yes, I would have been. 

Been a decent summer up here as we had some warmth early on too so definitely more than a week. Though I appreciate you lot in the SE may feel differently.

• Like 2

Not a huge amount of rain on the drive to the airport this morning but the car was buffeted around in the strong winds, easily could have been any morning from late Sept to Feb. Anyway typical airport behaviour now, Full English and a Pint for breakfast

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
32 minutes ago, DCee said:

Windy and cool season has started folk's. Should last between 9 and 10 months. 

north of Manchester yes, still may get warm days between systems in the SE

I read a report last week about the effects of climate change on the UK economy. Huge report covering many areas including the science behind what the changes will likely be weatherwise. Highlighted was the fact the media seem to only focus on the heat e.g. '40C UK summers', which is a possibility but only during heat waves which are actually predicted to decline in longevity. The huge increase in rain and wind was highlighted as the major costs, and not only in money but to the populations mental health. They expect winter to blend with Autumn and to last for the majority of the year along with shorter 'summers'. Scandinavia is a winner of sorts with longer summers and shorter winters, but dryer. Sounded like the UK will be trapped in trough type weather with HP over Greenland & Scandinavia to me. Going forward there are concerns about mental health with long spells of limited sunshine.

Pretty dire reading. 

Posted
13 hours ago, markyo said:

As for i have found the vast majority. Last ten days done over 2k miles for work, Scotland to Devon to London, you get the picture, not one person, not one was relishing the heat when it was here or missed the heat when it had gone. Don't think most like sweating their bits off in heat and humidity. 

Funny how that works - not one person I know was relishing the return to the current dross and everyone I spoke to was enjoying the warm summer weather. Confirmation bias as its best.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, DCee said:

I read a report last week about the effects of climate change on the UK economy. Huge report covering many areas including the science behind what the changes will likely be weatherwise. Highlighted was the fact the media seem to only focus on the heat e.g. '40C UK summers', which is a possibility but only during heat waves which are actually predicted to decline in longevity. The huge increase in rain and wind was highlighted as the major costs, and not only in money but to the populations mental health. They expect winter to blend with Autumn and to last for the majority of the year along with shorter 'summers'. Scandinavia is a winner of sorts with longer summers and shorter winters, but dryer. Sounded like the UK will be trapped in trough type weather with HP over Greenland & Scandinavia to me. Going forward there are concerns about mental health with long spells of limited sunshine.

Pretty dire reading. 

I think we're already there. Autumn and winter are pretty indistinguishable these days. Wind, rain and 11 degrees seems to be the default weather pattern for the majority of the year. 

For example, I find it hard to recall many calm, crisp bright sunny days with frost on the ground in Winter - it almost seems a thing of the past.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I think we're already there. Autumn and winter are pretty indistinguishable these days. Wind, rain and 11 degrees seems to be the default weather pattern for the majority of the year. 

For example, I find it hard to recall many calm, crisp bright sunny days with frost on the ground in Winter - it almost seems a thing of the past.

Certainly over the past 3 decades, winters in Europe have become milder and summers hotter but with shorter periods of intense cold spells and excessive heat in the mix. Regarding frosts is was noticeable how many frosts that occurred in the first 4 months of this year in Northern Britain and snow cover remained at 2000m level until early June in parts of the Alps. So things not all crystal clear in the present light of analysing the trends. Weather always has a knack of providing a surprise or two against the run of things.

C

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Funny how that works - not one person I know was relishing the return to the current dross and everyone I spoke to was enjoying the warm summer weather. Confirmation bias as its best.

Because they are deluded, and believe that everyone agrees with them lol.

Most people don't enjoy the cool damp weather. It has nothing to offer at this time of year. 

I get fed up of hearing about how bad the heat is, yet, we barely get 3 weeks of it down south this summer so far. I would place summer 2021 and lump it with the worst summers of 85-88. It's been cloudy for too long, and many days it hasn't been sunny enough to feel like proper summer.

The north has fared well, as well as ireland, but the poor conditions down here seem to be ignored.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Certainly over the past 3 decades, winters in Europe have become milder and summers hotter but with shorter periods of intense cold spells and excessive heat in the mix. Regarding frosts is was noticeable how many frosts that occurred in the first 4 months of this year in Northern Britain and snow cover remained at 2000m level until early June in parts of the Alps. So things not all crystal clear in the present light of analysing the trends. Weather always has a knack of providing a surprise or two against the run of things.

C

Brutal cold weather still does make an appearance, but its not as severe as it once was, compared to the mid 90s or earlier.

Latvia was still very cold this past winter,  but the most notable thing over there is, the summers have become warmer. The Uk however, hasn't benefited from warmer summers, as they seem to be largely dull, and sometimes often cool and wet. 

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Azazel said:

My uncle said, that was mainly the standard weather for autumn and winter, even back in the early to mid 1970s.

Winters like 78/79, or 81/82 were still the exception to the rule, and summers of 75/76, or 83/84 again, were the exception to the standard mediocre weather.

This year seems a little similar to 1982, which had a largely dull wet June, but was quite warm at times. 

I also remember some 90s years when July was unsettled and cool, 1992, and 93 spring to mind.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I know, it's laughable how these people can't handle a bit of heat, while we have to endure months of chilly damp weather.

Posted
34 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I recall a few of those during last Christmas, and quite a few cold dry days, but most were cloudy.

Another winter 20/21 would be ok for me.

It was better than the previous 2, which were damp wet windy and mild. The most boring type of winter.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I think that will be the case with both sides.
Most people in my family or at work will have said the heatwave was 'too hot' or at least above their comfort levels.. but also wouldn't wish for it to be stuck in the teens and grey/wet in summer either.

6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Because they are deluded, and believe that everyone agrees with them lol.

Most people don't enjoy the cool damp weather. It has nothing to offer at this time of year. 

I get fed up of hearing about how bad the heat is, yet, we barely get 3 weeks of it down south this summer so far. I would place summer 2021 and lump it with the worst summers of 85-88. It's been cloudy for too long, and many days it hasn't been sunny enough to feel like proper summer.

The north has fared well, as well as ireland, but the poor conditions down here seem to be ignored.

I guess that's what the north usually feels like haha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I can’t believe my holiday to Dorset tomorrow now looks like being in the worst place in the country for weather the next week or so. All the heavy showers look like being along the south coastal area. Might not even get any dry days at all!  

Posted
2 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

I think that will be the case with both sides.
Most people in my family or at work will have said the heatwave was 'too hot' or at least above their comfort levels.. but also wouldn't wish for it to be stuck in the teens and grey/wet in summer either.

I guess that's what the north usually feels like haha

Who cares.

We all know its a fact, that life within the M25 is where all the important things happen.lol

Posted
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Who cares.

We all know its a fact, that life within the M25 is where all the important things happen.lol

Anyway, not sure the poor weather in the south is being ignored, in here we never hear the end of it! 

In June, it was a pretty small geographical area of the UK that was wet, but it made up the majority postings in here.

image.thumb.png.22584bc6ef7f30a10393572d469b37a9.png

I guess it is the 'moans thread', but also the only (non-regional) thread to chat about UK weather conditions.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1