Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Glad to have the sun back this morning but boy does it feel cool. Very Septemberish feel.

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Glad to have the sun back this morning but boy does it feel cool. Very Septemberish feel.

Yep, gone from melting in the office to needing a jumper and hoodie today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Still shorts and t-shirt here, but definitely feeling more Septemberish than mid summer today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

I have to agree with those using the A word this morning ..... it really feels like early autumn today a bit weird but the light levels cool breeze and mud made my dog walk over Esher common feel distinctly autumnal !!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
20 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Thank goodness I can escape the onset of autumn tomorrow for a few days. Can’t wait to feel some warmth! 

Enjoy  

Here, there are very similar weather conditions to the UK: sunny spells, passing clouds and a rather blustery wind from the W-SW. Difference is it’s 24°C and not 19°C, makes such a pleasant difference. Even the gloomy, rainy days here this summer (few and far between) have generally been at 20°C or above. Much easier to deal with.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Thanks 1

Ooof those who think the Med has dry heat think again. Marina De Ginosa in southern Italy currently sitting 37C with a 28C dew point. Heat index 51C. Juicy! Lots of other 25C+ DPs down that way currently.

Posted

The maximum the last couple of days has been around 17C to 18C and breezy with some blue sky and brightness but not a great deal of direct sun.

This isn't autumnal though as the average max July temperature is 17.9C and August is 17.6C  here, so bang on average summer temperatures.

Given that the south coast of England typically has average temperatures of less than 21C at this time of year (meaning much of the time it is less than that), I'm not sure how one degree less than the average can be considered autumnal but maybe you are all living in cold spots.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

The maximum the last couple of days has been around 17C to 18C and breezy with some blue sky and brightness but not a great deal of direct sun.

This isn't autumnal though as the average max July temperature is 17.9C and August is 17.6C  here, so bang on average summer temperatures.

Given that the south coast of England typically has average temperatures of less than 21C at this time of year (meaning much of the time it is less than that), I'm not sure how one degree less than the average can be considered autumnal but maybe you are all living in cold spots.

Very simple here really. Average July max for here is 22-23C, it's currently scraping 18C with a brisk wind, and intermittent sunshine. Hence... autumnal. 

This July's average max is 23.9C so the autumnal feel is accentuated vis a vis what particularly the middle third of the month was like.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Number 23 said:

Summer has been pretty dire down here overall, and it does feel like we're going to crap out sadly, made worse because it's on the heels of a terrible Spring.

Apart from a few stifling days here and there, it's been very hard to get sustained periods of pleasant and settled weather, much the same as Spring.

I dread losing the long days normally, but the prospect of Autumnal gloom feels even less inviting this year. Roll on April 2022 and we'll have another go eh?! 

I think this is another reason (besides pandemic) that it feels worse than usual. Spring wasn't a nice warm or sunny Spring so couldn't get out and use it much. And straight into more cloudfest of a summer and again not warm, sunny and that useable down here. Had we have had a really good spring then summer would not have felt as bad. For me any way!

• Like 1

Posted

Last full day of a break in Blackpool, and after 3 lovely days and 1 fine one, today is grey, drizzly and a near gale force wind blowing. UK in high summer eh?

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Very simple here really. Average July max for here is 22-23C, it's currently scraping 18C with a brisk wind, and intermittent sunshine. Hence... autumnal. 

Looking at the Met Office long term averages, the maximum average for Minehead it is 21C in July and 20.8C in August. Liscombe is much cooler than that.  October is 15C which I think of as autumnal. There may be local hotspots but many people seem to have distorted expectations of what to expect (this also applies to winter temperatures of course).

• Like 2

Posted

I don't think this summer has been too poor so far here... a bit of a mixed bag with periods of good and poor weather like recent summers (other than 2018 of course), i.e. 'typical' British summers (I know last July was very poor further north, but it was just a bit 'averagely-bland' here).

This is data from my weather station:

1458629855_2021maximaupto29thJuly.thumb.png.01e73e4ee90d9901414ecf279d98fd1f.png1880297526_2021sunshineupto29thJuly.thumb.png.fe95c5fea0003eceff3a87e35ae67336.png639220825_2021rainfallupto29thJuly.thumb.png.7af6a895c234dd2f66f09a374aee3085.png

Mean maxima for June was slightly above average and July's is going to finish at least a degree above average, even with the next few days to add on. Sunshine doesn't look too far from average, perhaps a touch below in June and the 2nd half wasn't very good. My sunshine values are slightly under the true totals (a clear day gives 13.5-13.8 hours), in part due to early morning shading, so we will have exceeded 200 hours for July in reality.

We seem to be a bit west of the wettest/dullest areas this July. Rainfall was a bit above average in both June and July, though I don't think rainfall is a very reliable indicator as you could have a fantastic month and then a month's worth of rain from a thunderstorm one night. Rain days might be a better indicator.

Apart from 2015 perhaps, no real poor looking summers on the temperature front here since the 2007-2012 bunch.

160830653_2008-2021averagemaxima.thumb.png.ad883972cd1d082dca66ac368c3cec22.png

(my 1981-2010 average maxima will have been about or just above 21C in July/August). A lot of recent Augusts have been below that of course, but the last 3 have been better.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

Looking at the Met Office long term averages, the maximum average for Minehead it is 21C in July and 20.8C in August. Liscombe is much cooler than that.  October is 15C which I think of as autumnal. There may be local hotspots but many people seem to have distorted expectations of what to expect (this also applies to winter temperatures of course).

I don't know really if it's a case of having distorted expectations of what to expect. 

I always expect for the weather to be utter dross because we have the most pathetic climate on the planet at this latitude - I've still never seen a spring as grotty as the one just gone (1 warm day in March) so it still somehow manages to surprise me and fall short of my incredibly low expectations.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Really chilly feel to the morning here today; the sky (when you can see it) seems to have lost that deep summer blue already.  Feeling very melancholy about it all.  I had a whole 10 days of wearing flip flops - now back to the socks and dog walking sensible lace-ups!

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

Nope I think most are pretty realistic expectations. Coastal areas are, by nature, cooler than inland areas.

Sunshine and temperatures around 22-23C are the benchmark for this part of the world, and would indeed feel summery and very pleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 hours ago, MP-R said:

Was coming in here to say exactly the same.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

Yea I agree it's not been record breaking heat here do far but it's never seemed autumnal ,far from it ,even rainy days have been warm......ish ,and you where you are should know  all  about that ,but I agree whole heartedly   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I have no complaints about today's weather where I am. It's 20 Celsius with scattered clouds, a nice breeze and a comfortable humidity. Feels pleasantly warm in the sunshine too. ⛅

I would be more than happy for these conditions to continue for the rest of the summer and into the first half of September, with the odd rainy day here and there.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Feels decent today after the heat and humidity of recently. Nothing chilly about it at all, just entirely comfortable. Temperature maxed out at 19c.

I’m sure some people must be cold blooded.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I mean, it felt very pleasant out there today, especially through the afternoon. But this morning definitely felt September-ish.

Posted
On 29/07/2021 at 13:06, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

Agree. Some people believe it’s ‘autumnal’ just because we’re not sweating our t**s off in 32c heat. 

A full week of discomfort with hot days and sultry nights was more than enough for me. 

• Like 6

Posted
On 29/07/2021 at 17:35, Nick L said:

I mean, it felt very pleasant out there today, especially through the afternoon. But this morning definitely felt September-ish.

I wasn’t up early enough to notice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
42 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Agree. Some people believe it’s ‘autumnal’ just because we’re not sweating our t**s off in 32c heat. 

A full week of discomfort with hot days and sultry nights was more than enough for me. 

As for i have found the vast majority. Last ten days done over 2k miles for work, Scotland to Devon to London, you get the picture, not one person, not one was relishing the heat when it was here or missed the heat when it had gone. Don't think most like sweating their bits off in heat and humidity. 

• Like 2

Posted

Warmed up nicely in the sunshine this afternoon after the autumnal start.

Very cloudy now though ahead of tonight and tomorrow’s ‘autumnal’ low...