Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Bigdaddydave51 said:

Yes, why are they such lovers of dark at 4pm and cold?. Always found that a bit odd tbh. 

Because people have their own individual preferences. 

Myself personally, what I like about longer nights is that they are more peaceful and it is cosy when it is cold outside and nice and warm on the inside. You also get no neighbours blasting out loud music in the evenings, no wasps, no screaming kids and a few others things.

I like long summer nights too as I see the beauty in all 4 seasons, but I do think winter and long nights get a bad rap.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Nothing to do with that….but as soon as you get one very warm or hot day, the way some people bang on about how horrible it is, you’d think we have had to endure weeks and months of it. We’ve had one very warm/hot week this summer and that’s all. Could well be the only hot week of the summer as the first half of august looks rubbish. 

One whole week out of 52. I have to put up with about 20-30 weeks of the year I don’t really like as they are cool or cold. I was just pointing out the comparison - we have a lot more bad weather in the UK than we do good weather. That’s all.

its pretty simple really..this is essentially a moaning thread..so if the weather is the type you like you are not going to come in here and moan..so if its hot and sunny the people who dislike this weather type will be here moaning..if its cold and wet then people who dont like that weather will be here moaning... and then there is of course people who like to come in here to moan about people moaning about the weather that they like.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
25 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Because people have their own individual preferences. 

Myself personally, what I like about longer nights is that they are more peaceful and it is cosy when it is cold outside and nice and warm on the inside. You also get no neighbours blasting out loud music in the evenings, no wasps, no screaming kids and a few others things.

I like long summer nights too as I see the beauty in all 4 seasons, but I do think winter and long nights get a bad rap.

Levels of selfishness generally go up with hot weather, agree with you there. Sadly, a lot of people couldn’t give a toss about anyone but themselves, but that’s modern Britain. The long nights are great up to New Year, I enjoy Christmas lights especially but by the middle of January it starts to get really old

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Nothing beats a nice long walk on a cold crisp winter's day!

I honestly spend more time outside in autumn and winter than I do in the summer. Summer is just meh!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, Bigdaddydave51 said:

Yes, why are they such lovers of dark at 4pm and cold?. Always found that a bit odd tbh. 

Speaking personally I quite like the onset of the darker evenings, by Sept I've had enough of waking up at 5.30 am, together with swapping one load of work for another when I get home.  From October  it's a case of get in, have dinner and put my feet up for the evening. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
35 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

I honestly spend more time outside in autumn and winter than I do in the summer. Summer is just meh!

On a cold crisp day, yes! On most winter days, sadly not. As soon as it gets muddy... that's most walking places off the list for me. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, NewEra21 said:

We only get about 3 of those a year.

The rest of the time it's howling wind, driving rain and everything is caked in mud.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

2021 259 (up to 26th July)

Peak for this summer?

I'll be surprised if it rises any more given the outlook. Though a very good last two thirds to August could enable it to, probability is low though I imagine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Pretty depressing outlook it has to be said. Why is it so difficult just to get a prolonged period of pleasant warmth? It just either seems to be cool and unsettled or unpleasantly hot.

• Like 4

Posted

With still over a month of the summer left upto the 26th July the SE has now exceeded the average summer rainfall!

Hard to imagine this summer not being in at least the top 30 of the wettest ever, and thats almost certainly a conservative call. Top 10 very much on the cards as well given the first 10 days of August look pretty unsettled as well.

Posted

Another very poor summers day in London. Dull grey skies, and maybe a bit of sunshine for half an hour or so, before turning dull and grey again, only for it to start raining.

This is so depressing.

I appreciate people not liking the hot and sunny weather, but for the likes of myself, this constant onslaught of damp conditions isn't good for my partner who works in gardens. Yes we need the rain, but not too much of it.

Last weeks hot weather made some of the nights a bit uncomfortable for sleeping, but to be honest, I think I can live with it in order to get some decent sunshine. And to some folk here, who seem to claim we can't get a happy medium between hot sunny weather, and damp cool conditions. In many summers in years gone by, most sunny days will be in the 24c-30c bracket. The sun is much stronger between late May through late August.

And to add something else, people tend to complain way too often about the heat, when we barely get about 3-6 weeks in an average year. This country is colder for longer periods of time, and there's no getting away from it, even if a month is above average, it doesn't mean it was warm by any stretch.

Last winter, was actually quite cold, and although there wasn't many sunny crisp days, there were plenty of dull cold ones, and it wasn't as wet as the previous two. I was still able to get out and about for walks, but naturally speaking, I prefer walking when the weather is much warmer. 

• Like 4

Posted

We're getting on for midday in late July and it's 15C with light rain. Utterly dreadful.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Another very poor summers day in London. Dull grey skies, and maybe a bit of sunshine for half an hour or so, before turning dull and grey again, only for it to start raining.

This is so depressing.

I appreciate people not liking the hot and sunny weather, but for the likes of myself, this constant onslaught of damp conditions isn't good for my partner who works in gardens. Yes we need the rain, but not too much of it.

Last weeks hot weather made some of the nights a bit uncomfortable for sleeping, but to be honest, I think I can live with it in order to get some decent sunshine. And to some folk here, who seem to claim we can't get a happy medium between hot sunny weather, and damp cool conditions. In many summers in years gone by, most sunny days will be in the 24c-30c bracket. The sun is much stronger between late May through late August.

And to add something else, people tend to complain way too often about the heat, when we barely get about 3-6 weeks in an average year. This country is colder for longer periods of time, and there's no getting away from it, even if a month is above average, it doesn't mean it was warm by any stretch.

Last winter, was actually quite cold, and although there wasn't many sunny crisp days, there were plenty of dull cold ones, and it wasn't as wet as the previous two. I was still able to get out and about for walks, but naturally speaking, I prefer walking when the weather is much warmer. 

We definitely have missed out on the happy medium in the SE this year, yes it has happened in other years but that is irrelevant, when it is either blazing hot or soaking wet like this summer so far it is a nuisance. Summer 2018 was exceptional for warmth and lack of rain, but I don't remember being uncomfortable that often, it was a nuisance purely for the absence of rain and having to pour a hundred litres of water on my allotment crops every week because even a cubic meter of stored rainwater was insufficient to get through the prolonged dry spell. People complain about the heat because it is uncomfortable, and when it arrives in the UK it is impossible to get relief from it. At least in the cooler/cold times of year you can put the heating on if you are too cold, but UK properties do not have air conditioning as standard, so if you can't sleep because it is 28C at midnight in your bedroom, you are stuck, and a poor nights sleep has consequences for the following day, and maybe further days if you wrack up a significant sleep debt. Uncomfortable conditions are uncomfortable conditions, it is irrelevant how long they last, people are going to complain about it. That is before I point out that some people have medical conditions which make them at elevated risk from potentially dangerous heat related health problems. The current weather in Horsham of sunshine and showers, with temperatures in the low 20's is much more suitable for physical exhertion outdoors.

The other nuisance of heatweaves in the UK is that if it is too hot to be able to enjoy the outdoors, it is effectively a waste of a sunny summer day, which are on average at a premium.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

With still over a month of the summer left upto the 26th July the SE has now exceeded the average summer rainfall!

Hard to imagine this summer not being in at least the top 30 of the wettest ever, and thats almost certainly a conservative call. Top 10 very much on the cards as well given the first 10 days of August look pretty unsettled as well.

I predict a record number of tribalist trolls living in the north to rub the southerner's faces in it by pointing out what a warm sunny dry summer they've had, and southerner's deserve it and are whinging snowflakes that wouldn't last five minutes up north with the weather they have to deal with every year.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, NewEra21 said:

I agree. Unfortunately such conditions happen about as often as last weeks heatwave. Most of the time in my part of the world (Sussex), an autumn/winter walk involves dressing as though you are crossing a Scottish mountain range and going squelch squelch squelch because the heavy clay soil combined with the rain turns the footpaths into a quagmire.

IMG_20210223_135453.jpg

IMG_20210223_132426.jpg

IMG_20210709_154703.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
14 hours ago, MP-R said:

On a cold crisp day, yes! On most winter days, sadly not. As soon as it gets muddy... that's most walking places off the list for me. 

You can usually count proper sunny, crisp and dry winter’s days on one hand, sadly. They are very nice though! Walking in squelchy mud isn’t fun, which is the norm in the UK throughout much of autumn, winter and early spring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

You can usually count proper sunny, crisp and dry winter’s days on one hand, sadly. They are very nice though! Walking in squelchy mud isn’t fun, which is the norm in the UK throughout much of autumn, winter and early spring.

It also doesn't help that once wet, everything takes forever to dry either. You could have a week with no rain and bright sunny days but the ground stays muddy after previous rain. That was the issue with the winter just gone, the wet period in December was followed by three weeks of cold crisp days, but the first half of that time everything remained sludgy unless it stayed frozen all day.

The drier half of the year is so much more conducive to walking. There's not really anything to debate there.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, MP-R said:

It also doesn't help that once wet, everything takes forever to dry either. You could have a week with no rain and bright sunny days but the ground stays muddy after previous rain. That was the issue with the winter just gone, the wet period in December was followed by three weeks of cold crisp days, but the first half of that time everything remained sludgy unless it stayed frozen all day.

The drier half of the year is so much more conducive to walking. There's not really anything to debate there.

Best time of year is probably early Autumn. Little chance of mud, less chance of sunburn, and often very pleasant temperatures.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

GFS still poor for Friday, and bbc seems to have trended towards it,  timed right for the day too, for NW Midlands again worst placed

Posted

Makes a change the SE getting all the floods and wet.

Still pretty dry here,just about dampened the dust after a pretty short but heavy shower with hail even.

Been a very long dry spell here.

Huge thundery showers to the north before that.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

A really poor late afternoon despite being dry, winding gusting to nearly 40mph, cold at 18C, overcast. Very early October! 

The extended outlook looks just dire! Absolutely dreadful start to the final third of summer, 4 or 5 lows crossing theses parts potentially in the next two weeks.

Edited by Alderc

Posted

I would say around here since 1st June we have had 29 days of mediocre/rubbish and 29 days I would rate as fair/brilliant.  So up to today it is 50/50. It's looking like the second half of August is going to have to deliver at least fair then we can call it a draw for this summer or average.  Today. Blimey it was chilly when I walked out the office at half 3 this afternoon. Then about 4pm a noisy thunder storm passed by just to my south. With the lightning that just sort of goes flat across the sky.  I dont mind showers and storms so much when it is humid and muggy. Not so keen on when it's cold like today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Personally Ive now written off the rest of summer.  Everything is pointing to a poor August and If any of the latest charts verify (99% chance likely they will) its not going to be looking good for Southern England. So disapointing that we can't even maintain a decent ridge when one builds, look how strong was the ridge was we had two weeks ago and look how quickly it got blown away. The weather gods must hate us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1