Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I'm struggling to understand how today would be called cool or cold in anyway, been in Bristol area today, it was not cool or cold, then East to just North of London the same, even hardly saw any rain! Which i must admit i was surprised at. Not a bad day at all in fact for the good portion of the country i was in.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

I don’t why we bother, clearly in the minority  in actually liking summer weather. Everyone else gives the impression they are unusually sat around outside in their shorts at 9pm in February having BBQ because they and every single person they come into contact with can’t survive in anything warmer than room temperature. 

Yep! At least the majority of people outside of weather forums actually enjoy warm, sunny weather during the summer.

Life is so much more cheerful when the weather is good (though good is up for interpretation here!) ☀️

• Like 4

Posted

Turning into an exceptionally wet summer here in London, Docklands average July rain is 34mm…….

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, markyo said:

I'm struggling to understand how today would be called cool or cold in anyway, been in Bristol area today, it was not cool or cold, then East to just North of London the same, even hardly saw any rain! Which i must admit i was surprised at. Not a bad day at all in fact for the good portion of the country i was in.

32c to 20c is a bit drop over a few days It's very noticable!

Posted
52 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Yep! At least the majority of people outside of weather forums actually enjoy warm, sunny weather during the summer.

Life is so much more cheerful when the weather is good (though good is up for interpretation here!) ☀️

Tbh I think this is why it is getting to me so much this year. We have all been through a traumatic time. So there is that as a baseline. And then when we are allowed out the weather just doesn't seem cheery enough to even want to go out and do anything. Sun really does lift you mood and make everything feel better. But any way we've been here before ... Dunno why I should justify why it is essential for my mental health. It's not about the heat, not about being in the med but about having sun. I'm only moaning about it feeling cooler now because we have dropped from 32c to 20c - your gonna notice the difference in that when you were acclimatised to 30+!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Tbh I think this is why it is getting to me so much this year. We have all been through a traumatic time. So there is that as a baseline. And then when we are allowed out the weather just doesn't seem cheery enough to even want to go out and do anything. Sun really does lift you mood and make everything feel better. But any way we've been here before ... Dunno why I should justify why it is essential for my mental health. It's not about the heat, not about being in the med but about having sun. I'm only moaning about it feeling cooler now because we have dropped from 32c to 20c - your gonna notice the difference in that when you were acclimatised to 30+!

It’s a bit of double whammy this year, holiday travel has been severely impacted taking those options away from many people and just when things started opening up we were initially restricted to meeting outside in one of the coldest April in 30years, then faced an utterly dreadful May, then a 2wk decent spell followed by another spell of cold, wet and dull weather that lasted a month. We’ve barely had three usable weeks in the last 12 in parts of the south. Might par for the course ooop north but not down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Well, it's all back to the autumnal rubbish today - cloudy, grey skies, rain in abundance and not a ray of sunshine all day.  God, I hate it.  We had literally 2 weeks of good weather in this locality this summer - 2 weeks!  How absolutely stupid is that?  I have always hated August as it always seemed as if summer was dying and nothing to look forward to but dark, rain and cold for the foreseeable, but this year seems worse.  Even my courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes and hanging baskets has given up after being deluged with rain in recent days.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

AND my heating clicked on three time this afternoon and evening - it's only set to 19!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Lovely day today. Bit of rain for the garden, nice and cool, (but not cool enough). No silly heat.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I wouldn’t mind some cooler (20-22c) and nice settled weather, but it’s almost impossible to achieve here during the summer months. If it’s settled with high pressure, it’s pretty much going to be warm or hot. The only way we get high teens or low 20s is with low pressure and cool upper air - which just leaves a mess like today/tomorrow/Thursday, where it’s just an unstable airmass and you end up with huge downpours throughout the day which ruin everything. Can’t win.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
6 hours ago, al78 said:

No, it is case of there being a spectrum of alternatives between the two extremes. Unfortunately there seems to be a very narrow minded view on this forum that if you don't like one extreme, that must mean you relish the other, as though a happy medium is nonexistant.

previewimage-kW9X4Y.jpg
WWW.LOGICALLYFALLACIOUS.COM

When only two choices are presented yet more exist, or a spectrum of possible choices exists between two extremes. False dilemmas are usually characterized by “either this or that” language, but...
strawman2.jpg
YOURLOGICALFALLACYIS.COM

You misrepresented someone's argument to make it easier to attack.

Nothing to do with that….but as soon as you get one very warm or hot day, the way some people bang on about how horrible it is, you’d think we have had to endure weeks and months of it. We’ve had one very warm/hot week this summer and that’s all. Could well be the only hot week of the summer as the first half of august looks rubbish. 

One whole week out of 52. I have to put up with about 20-30 weeks of the year I don’t really like as they are cool or cold. I was just pointing out the comparison - we have a lot more bad weather in the UK than we do good weather. That’s all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
16 minutes ago, simshady said:

Lovely day today. Bit of rain for the garden, nice and cool, (but not cool enough). No silly heat.

Windows wide open cooling the house down

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

32c to 20c is a bit drop over a few days It's very noticable!

Noticeable yes but not cold! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

To be fair, this Summer overall hasn't been too bad so far with a fair few warm evenings although daytime maxes haven't been amazing. It's certainly been wet and I will admit it is frustrating when everywhere else in the Northern Hemisphere (including Scandi for example) is having a belter. However we have had worse Summers especially 2011, 2012 and 2015 for example. Here we've had about 4 out of 8 weeks useable weather with a bit of storm activity so you could say 50% is 'okay'.

2016 was a slow burner and got better and better with 33c in September before a lovely dry Autumn! 

So, if August produces good weather this Summer will come through as average to good, but if we get a 2010, 2014 or 2017 repeat then yeah, I'll be moaning!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
44 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Back to rubbish today. Been raining most of the afternoon. No sun. Grey. Rumbles of thunder. Down to an Autumnal 17c. Bring back last week when it was proper summer. 

Give me the rumbles of thunder but, yep il leave the rest thanks.

Climate change is likely to bring less sunshine each year to the UK. There are winners and losers in weather and UK is defiantly the latter.

Posted
On 27/07/2021 at 19:21, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Back to rubbish today. Been raining most of the afternoon. No sun. Grey. Rumbles of thunder. Down to an Autumnal 17c. Bring back last week when it was proper summer. 

No thanks. The heat and humidity we had was dreadful. I saw more people complaining it was too hot than actually being able to enjoy it. 

Clear weather at 20-25 degrees with a gentle breeze is perfect enough for me. 

Edited by Josh Rubio
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Yes, why are they such lovers of dark at 4pm and cold?. Always found that a bit odd tbh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdaddydave51 said:

Yes, why are they such lovers of dark at 4pm and cold?. Always found that a bit odd tbh. 

Hermits, with little or no outdoor activities.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

No thanks. The heat and humidity we had was dreadful. I saw more people complaining it was too hot than actually being able to enjoy it. 

Clear weather at 20-25 degrees with a gentle breeze is perfect enough for me. 

Can’t argue with your last sentence. Sounds nice with the emphasis on ‘clear’ (ie. no vile grey crud)

• Like 1

Posted

Well it's trying to make up for  the last 2 months of dry weather here today with up to now 7.5 hours of thunder and lightning with periods of torrential rain. Never remember these prolonged storms as a kid more evidence of climate change. Fields are lakes.