Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Another day again of a NW/SE split! decent here suppose inbetween the 2 areas, tomorrow should be the last day of summer for the far NW/Stornoway etc

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Another day again of a NW/SE split! decent here suppose inbetween the 2 areas, tomorrow should be the last day of summer for the far NW/Stornoway etc

Quite typical for late July to see a reversion back to more unsettled as the Atlantic traditionally flexes its muscles. 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

After a fairly poor start, July is about to deliver 2 excellent weeks of weather here.. but also will end on a rather unsettled note. The last 2 weeks have been every bit as good as the best 2006, 2013, 2014 and 2018 had to offer. However, 2 great weeks don't make a great month overall.. and for many I suspect it will not be rated as highly as those 4 July's.

Summer 2021 doesn’t even come close to any of those summers. 

Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had some decent weather recently, but it’s been in short supply.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Summer 2021 doesn’t even come close to any of those summers. 

Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had some decent weather recently, but it’s been in short supply.

Yeah but you're area has had worse weather than up north, so your area is not going to come close, whilst up here they are going to be closer to those summers. 

Whilst SE had a very wet June we had a very dry June. Even now some areas are getting a soaking in SE but up here and we are still dry.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

After a fairly poor start, July is about to deliver 2 excellent weeks of weather here.. but also will end on a rather unsettled note. The last 2 weeks have been every bit as good as the best 2006, 2013, 2014 and 2018 had to offer. However, 2 great weeks don't make a great month overall.. and for many I suspect it will not be rated as highly as those 4 July's.

There is an argument for it being better than 2014 in the NW I think- for me July 2014 was a month that promised a lot but didn't deliver many really hot days up here. There wasn't a spell during that month to match the spell we've just had IMO.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

There is an argument for it being better than 2014 in the NW I think- for me July 2014 was a month that promised a lot but didn't deliver many really hot days up here. There wasn't a spell during that month to match the spell we've just had IMO.

Yes my memories of 2014 clouded somewhat by the fact I visited the SW part of the month where it was superb weather, and didn't experience conditions back home. So perhaps might be best to knock it off the list, 2006, 2013 and 2018 though all produced at least 2 weeks of dry consistently warm and in the case of 2006 and 2018 hot weather! 

• Like 1

Posted

Not a bad weekend given the earlier forecasts here. The odd bit of rain. Nothing too shocking. Not overly warm (low 20's). Not overly sunny until a few sunny intervals late afternoon/evening. Could have been better. Could have been worse so an overall rating of not too bad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

As previously mentioned it has been a bit special up here this summer.  Dry June with average temperatures gradually increasing into July with this absolutely epic fortnight of almost entirely blue skies and hi twenties / lo thirties temperatures. All our lawns and grass verges are brown

4F4C6B70-C2D1-4D38-8653-5E7AC934F1BC.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes my memories of 2014 clouded somewhat by the fact I visited the SW part of the month where it was superb weather, and didn't experience conditions back home. So perhaps might be best to knock it off the list, 2006, 2013 and 2018 though all produced at least 2 weeks of dry consistently warm and in the case of 2006 and 2018 hot weather! 

Hard to beat 2006 and 2018- superb months. 2013 another great month but temps more consistently in the mid 20s. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Definitely feeling an Autumn vibe tonight for the first time this Summer, Autumn/Winter will be here before you know it.  

Oh dear autumn vibes on 25 July, you've a long autumn ahead. I've said before its usually sometime around second week of August I have the first 'pangs' of autumn, attributed purely to light level losss rather than feel of the weather, which often remains 'summery' well into September, despite the daylength rapidly diminishing. Until then I'll be in the full high summer mode state for at least the next 2 weeks!.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Oh dear autumn vibes on 25 July, you've a long autumn ahead. I've said before its usually sometime around second week of August I have the first 'pangs' of autumn, attributed purely to light level losss rather than feel of the weather, which often remains 'summery' well into September, despite the daylength rapidly diminishing. Until then I'll be in the full high summer mode state for at least the next 2 weeks!.

Autumn arrives much earlier though for you, normally early Aug? signs though of Autumn for the north, with northerly winds, could be cold mornings

Posted
12 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

High summer for me ends about the 14th August when suddenly the swifts   in  the eaves of the house have gone.Tonight after a very warm afternoon and no sea fog yet there are about 30 screaming (a very evocative  summer sound)   round the house at top speed and dive bombing cats,dog and humans.Must be some of this years brood flying too

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Autumn arrives much earlier though for you, normally early Aug? signs though of Autumn for the north, with northerly winds, could be cold mornings

Mmm not really, we can have autumnal feeling weather late in August but any unsettled weather in August in the main generally has a summer unsettled feel to it. Temps are rarely what you could describe as autumnal though yes a long drawn northerly can bring light frost by end of the month, but such instances are the exception. Autumn proper rarely sets in until the equinox, September often very benign.. another 2 months yet.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
42 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Definitely feeling an Autumn vibe tonight for the first time this Summer, Autumn/Winter will be here before you know it.  

I’d be interested to know just what is so enjoyable about a typical British winter? Or is it just me

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

I’d be interested to know just what is so enjoyable about a typical British winter? Or is it just me

Eugene's favourite weather is 9°C, overcast and light rain. Each to his own, I guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Eugene's favourite weather is 9°C, overcast and light rain. Each to his own, I guess.

I guess! We’re all different....

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

That's my post

Well after this weekend I think the SE will likely be over the entire summers average rainfall (81-10 is 160.3 according to the met) with still around 5 weeks left of the summer!

Hopefully the Azores high can make a decent stand otherwise this summer will be joining some poor company. Heck even a somewhat below average August isn't preventing a pretty wet outcome for this summer down here now.

SE rainfall total now upto 148mm for the summer as of the 23rd (so not counting the two wet days we've just had, today alone will probably add 10-20mm, maybe more depending on whether stations got really hit). so an average August takes us north of 200mm and well into the top 50 wettest, even not including any extra rain from the 23rd onwards (which we know is 100% not the case since we've just had two wet days down here!)

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
10 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

The longer we go without the ghastly snow, frost and ice the better. Hopefully till about 25th February.

The problem is in winter you either get the ghastly snow, frost and ice or ghastly wind, sunshine starvation and rain. Pick your poison.

• Like 1

Posted

Here in the south it seems like the summer that either delivers real heat or cool weather with copious rain - nothing between 30 degrees with blazing sunshine and 20 degrees with lots of rain. We've had almost nothing in between - almost none of those pleasant partly cloudy days with average temperatures that I find typically crop frequently in July. After a mainly miserable June with a single hot spell, July is turning out very average overall but caused by a good hot spell sandwiched between periods of unsettled weather. Summer rainfall in Reading stands at 125mm at the university station, only a few mm off the average for the entire season, and at the moment August is looking rather like the miserable August of 2014 - if that pans out this would be our worst summer since 2012.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, al78 said:

The problem is in winter you either get the ghastly snow, frost and ice or ghastly wind, sunshine starvation and rain. Pick your poison.

Definitely snow.... at least it looks nice

• Like 1

Well already the third wettest May-Jul period on record hear with 283.5mm, only 2012 (308mm) and 2007 (319mm) were worse. 

As for summer only a remotely wet August will end up giving 2007 & 2012 a close run.