Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
3 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

No need to apologise chief, but yeah it was a long winded post lol

Some people's dedication to all things weather related is admirable, maybe some of us amuters should stick to the cheap seats

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
3 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Some people's dedication to all things weather related is admirable, maybe some of us amuters should stick to the cheap seats

I know my place

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

1 higher WH! then we'll have LW giant! assume though after Tuesday it will fall, not sure how it works

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

2021 251 (up to 23rd July)

Its zoomed up, suspect a stall soon and possible fall.  

• Like 1

Posted

Looking half  a decent day today and smashing day tomorrow.. Hopefully August turns out to be pretty good.. I think it will after the first week or so.. But time will tell on that.. Im happy with summer 2021 what ever happens. Even if August turns out to be less than sparkling..Hopefully pressure will rise for September. Can't see both months being poor personally 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Nice to not have to shower twice a day because of endless sweating. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

2021 251 (up to 23rd July)

Thanks Kevin.

Backs up my post in the model thread.

Its been a very decent summer locally.

• Like 3

Absolute gloom fest this morning, hopefully the clag clears quickly and we can get some strong surface heating going. Could be quite hot and wet later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

In  North West England we haven't had a good August since 2003 and looking at this  mornings output that run of poor months is not going to end in 2021.

Can't complain really as July was exceptionally good.

Andy

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Ugh, sounds horribly hot to me, hope you have decent AC... It's been a lovely cool fresh cloudy day here with a high of around 19C, currently around 14C, so much better for sleeping.  

A cloudy breezy 19C is so much better than a hot humid sunny 27C imo.

Definitely not horribly hot at all for me. It’s one of the delights of summer time, I can sit out of an evening just in shorts and a t-shirt and enjoy a beverage of choice, without freezing my bits off Sleep was no problem either, with the big pedestal fan on and just sleeping under a thin blanket. Windows are open constantly and plenty of fresh air helps. In fact, I slept 9 hours lol, unusual for me.

The moon was beautiful the night before last here.

1BA50621-C34D-4434-911B-14B1D644871E.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Definitely not horribly hot at all for me. It’s one of the delights of summer time, I can sit out of an evening just in shorts and a t-shirt and enjoy a beverage of choice, without freezing my bits off Sleep was no problem either, with the big pedestal fan on and just sleeping under a thin blanket. Windows are open constantly and plenty of fresh air helps. In fact, I slept 9 hours lol, unusual for me.

The moon was beautiful the night before last here.

1BA50621-C34D-4434-911B-14B1D644871E.jpeg

Seems like you are loving life over in Czech Rep.

I can’t wait to fly off and see my partner’s family in Latvia, and get away from this poor summer weather. 

They’ve had a better summer compared to us. 

I hope we get a decent storm soon, or a return to hot sunny weather, or at least a sunny day. 

The dull grey stuff has returned to London, and I just hope we don’t get stuck with this for weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Absolute gloom fest this morning, hopefully the clag clears quickly and we can get some strong surface heating going. Could be quite hot and wet later

It’s interesting to hear others are having a better summer than us. Apart from last week, and the first two weeks of June, this summer has been a poor one.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s interesting to hear others are having a better summer than us. Apart from last week, and the first two weeks of June, this summer has been a poor one.

Here Dublin apart from May which was dreadful we have had a very decent spell with very dry weather and abundant sunshine. I can honestly say it feels like we are having a london summer and you are having a scottish one.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, emmett garland said:

Here Dublin apart from May which was dreadful we have had a very decent spell with very dry weather and abundant sunshine. I can honestly say it feels like we are having a london summer and you are having a scottish one.

It’s not quite a Scottish one,  but the dull claggy days are outnumbering the sunny summery ones.

I will concede that this weekend is a nice cool down, after the one week hot spell,  but losing the sunshine is something I don’t want. If it’s a choice between dull and grey or having hot weather to get the sunshine back, I’ll pick the latter. 

Still have faith we will get a few days of low to mid 20s sunny weather soon. Something even 2018 was able to achieve, in between the one to two week hot spells on and off between May and august that year.

• Like 1

Posted
On 24/07/2021 at 08:10, northwestsnow said:

Looks like the NW will hang into the warmth until Monday now , making it a cracking July to follow the lovely June 

So far summer is in the 9/10 rating ,a poor August would drop that to around 6/10 for me ,still above average so its money in the bank whatever happens now,so to speak. 

I wanted to post this to counter the incessant doom and gloom from some quarters.

Anyway,as you were with the 00z runs, things going downhill next week as Northerly latitude  blocking highs and a jet with our name on it take over.

TBF the pattern setting up is akin to a Euro high in February for me personally ,but when you've had lots of snow and ice in Dec and Jan it doesn't feel half as depressing. 

It has been poor in the south. The north is doing much better this time round, but London is now facing another poor summer for sunshine levels. This is worse than 2020, but a warm and sunnier august could change that. 

The weather is still usable though, as it’s been fairly dry in recent days, and only the odd light shower here and there.

We seem to be missing the thunderstorms again, and can’t seem to understand why. If we are stuck with this dull clag until September, this will be one of the most boring summers. Still time for that to change.

Moaning aside, last week was lovely, with long periods of sunshine. Made me feel happy. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

In  North West England we haven't had a good August since 2003 and looking at this  mornings output that run of poor months is not going to end in 2021.

Can't complain really as July was exceptionally good.

Andy

I still feel if august is a let down, it brings the summer down a little bit, because you want the summery weather to last into the school holidays. Days are still long as well. 

Recent summers feel like the ones we used to get in the 80s. A hot spell followed by several weeks of gloomy cloudy weather, and a mix of humid and cooler days thrown in.

Posted

Thats because pressure has been higher in the north. The south has been under a low that's been stuck over France. Throwing cloud into the southern part of the UK... its been a weird set up this year.. very dry summer  compared to last year.. best summer since 2018  for me..

It may change later in the week. But only 2/3 days this summer can i honestly say i have felt cold.I remember last July one morning. It was so cold i could see cold air when I breathed out. Terrible last year. This July has not been a classic like 2013/14 or 18 but been its been nice enough. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Thats because pressure has been higher in the north. The south has been under a low that's been stuck over France. Throwing cloud into the southern part of the UK... its been a weird set up this year.. very dry summer  compared to last year.. best summer since 2018  for me..

It may change later in the week. But only 2/3 days this summer can i honestly say i have felt cold.I remember last July one morning. It was so cold i could see cold air when I breathed out. Terrible last year. This July has not been a classic like 2013/14 or 18 but been its been nice enough. 

Last summer was pretty poor down here mate. 

We had the lovely sunny spring that went on for weeks, which continued into the first week of June, then we had the dull cool days, before a 3-4 day heatwave at the end of June. 

We then had to wait until the last day of July for that 2 week hot spell of very hot weather. Other than that it wasn’t a great summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
19 hours ago, Alderc said:

Feel much better, have cancelled Torquay next weekend and replaced it with Dubrovnik (well a little town about 4miles north) for 4nights. Looks like being low to mid 30s with overnight lows in the mid 20s and SSTs currently sat around 26C - much more appealing. 

11 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Sounds like disgusting horrendous heat to me but if that's what you enjoy.... I'd much rather have Torquay myself. Anyway, 4 miles north??? With SST's of 26C it must be somewhere abroad!

10 hours ago, Alderc said:

I did say swapped Torquay for Dubrovnik…..so yes abroad. 

10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It was just the four miles north bit that confused me... Four miles north of where?

Just a wild stab in the dark here, but I'm going to guess that Alderc was  referring to a place about 4 miles north of Dubrovnik 

I've scrutinized his original post in minute detail and believe I've stumbled across a clue that has been left in the subtext which would be hard for anyone to have picked up apart from most people.  

Posted
43 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

Working from home just outside London while regularly listening to Radio Kerry it's been very bizarre on quite a few days over this summer to listen to them talking about beautiful sunshine and warmth while I'm listening to the rain pouring down outside.  At times I've had to pinch myself to remember they are broadcasting from Kerry!   also, I find it incredible that, after just two of three days of fne warm weather, they invariably start talking about water shortages.  What on earth happens to all the water out there!  I know from the experience of many fortnight holidays spent out there that it comes in abundance! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Timmytour said:

Working from home just outside London while regularly listening to Radio Kerry it's been very bizarre on quite a few days over this summer to listen to them talking about beautiful sunshine and warmth while I'm listening to the rain pouring down outside.  At times I've had to pinch myself to remember they are broadcasting from Kerry!   also, I find it incredible that, after just two of three days of fne warm weather, they invariably start talking about water shortages.  What on earth happens to all the water out there!  I know from the experience of many fortnight holidays spent out there that it comes in abundance! 

Yeah I know. Ireland summers are usually damp and wet, and not all that warm.

I speak from experience, as we used to visit my grandmother’s brother in cork in summers of 85, 89, 90, 91, 93. All of which were poor. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah I know. Ireland summers are usually damp and wet, and not all that warm.

I speak from experience, as we used to visit my grandmother’s brother in cork in summers of 85, 89, 90, 91, 93. All of which were poor. 

My classic was going for a five week holiday in Kerry as a kid which I thought beforehand was great!  Only it was the summer of 1976 and when I went back after the summer holidays I was the only white kid in school!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

My classic was going for a five week holiday in Kerry as a kid which I thought beforehand was great!  Only it was the summer of 1976 and when I went back after the summer holidays I was the only white kid in school!

Lol.