Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I'm gonna make a bold prediction- The next time we get a period of prolonged sunshine again in the South/South-East will be around 21st August- give or take a day or 2. The pattern this year seems to be shorter periods of sunshine (1st half of June, 2nd half of April, Mid july) sandwiched between 4-week/month-long spells of mainly Stratus (Most of May, 2nd half of June into 1st half of July and to a lesser extent, most of March into early April- aside from the excellent 2 days at the end of March) So adding around a month from today takes me to August 21 area! Lets all hope my prediction is wrong and we get sunshine again earlier haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2021 249 (up to 22nd July)

Exactly, no where near the top and Manchester has been ground zero in this current spell. In the south east this heatwave has been a non event really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well, back into the jeans it is! 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Mmm lovely, drizzle, cool and so dark I need my lights on. Jumpers out and shorts put away for 2-3weeks.

1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Well, back into the jeans it is! 

Are you 2 for real? It’s still plenty warm enough for shorts!!! At least indoors!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

Are you 2 for real? It’s still plenty warm enough for shorts!!! At least indoors!

Would hardly call getting up for work when it's 14C and about to pee it down outside as "plenty warm enough for shorts". I wouldn't wear shorts in winter in those conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

If some people like complaining about the past "heat", then see if they open up and comment when the atlantic conveyor belt switch is flicked on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
3 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

If some people like complaining about the past "heat", then see if they open up and comment when the atlantic conveyor belt switch is flicked on.

Dont like temps near 30c,it not nice to work in or function well in.Dont even get the thundery breakdowns I would rather have high teens low 20s with sun and a breeze.mid 20's at a push.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

Exactly, no where near the top and Manchester has been ground zero in this current spell. In the south east this heatwave has been a non event really.

I think you are misunderstanding what the index is about........

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Alderc said:

Radar says this

EF460BF9-4281-41F5-9C9A-9E9D28C433D9.thumb.png.5b52455f9969b53b834af5bffc1dec2e.png

My eyes say it’s absolutely chucking down. 

Thought today might be useable, clearly not…

Have to say I was quite surprised by some very chunky rain coming down as I got into work. Looked particularly unimpressive on radar!

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Would hardly call getting up for work when it's 14C and about to pee it down outside as "plenty warm enough for shorts". I wouldn't wear shorts in winter in those conditions.

Contrary, shorts and rain go together like soup and a spoon! 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

I'm gonna make a bold prediction- The next time we get a period of prolonged sunshine again in the South/South-East will be around 21st August- give or take a day or 2. The pattern this year seems to be shorter periods of sunshine (1st half of June, 2nd half of April, Mid july) sandwiched between 4-week/month-long spells of mainly Stratus (Most of May, 2nd half of June into 1st half of July and to a lesser extent, most of March into early April- aside from the excellent 2 days at the end of March) So adding around a month from today takes me to August 21 area! Lets all hope my prediction is wrong and we get sunshine again earlier haha.

I think you will be right. 

Summer 2021 feels similar to 1987.

The May was poor this year, and it was also cold and wet in 1987.

June was cool and dull with a warmer end in 1987, while June 2021 was warmer and sunny in the first half, before turning dull.

July 1987 was warm or hot for the first half, then dreadful during the second half.

July 2021, started off very poor, while the second half has been warmer and sunnier. 

Late July 1987, until mid august was really bad, very wet and cool, followed by a hot spell between the 17th to the 21st, and some severe widespread thunderstorms.

I still have late august down for widespread storms.

Posted

I really hope this isn’t the state of play for the next few weeks. I don’t mind a cool down, but I don’t want to lose the sunshine as a side affect of lower temps.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, AnvilCrawlers said:

Dont like temps near 30c,it not nice to work in or function well in.Dont even get the thundery breakdowns I would rather have high teens low 20s with sun and a breeze.mid 20's at a push.

High teens is too cold for high summer. I think anything from 22c to 25c with sunshine is warm enough to not feel too hot, or too cold. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I really hope this isn’t the state of play for the next few weeks. I don’t mind a cool down, but I don’t want to lose the sunshine as a side affect of lower temps.

Does look a bit worrying. Temperatures would be pleasant enough on their own, but the weather doesn't look particularly useable for the next 7-10 days. It seems so difficult to get a happy medium in summer these days between baking heat and unsettled!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

High teens is too cold for high summer. I think anything from 22c to 25c with sunshine is warm enough to not feel too hot, or too cold. 

Thats true,I was just generalizing my ideal temps.be happy at those temps you posted.

Posted
Just now, AnvilCrawlers said:

Thats true,I was just generalizing my ideal temps.be happy at those temps you posted.

Even as a heat lover, I do and have found temps of 28c and above difficult to work in. 

Sitting in the park, by the river or by a pool(if you are rich enough to have one lol) where you can enjoy it is one thing, but when you need to walk around in a suit, or work in construction, a hot office, I can fully understand why people don’t enjoy the hot weather. 

That being said, I have enjoyed the long sunny days, and early morning clear sunny skies. Something we were lacking for a month before last week, down south. So while I accept, it’s extremely difficult in the heat, it’s much nicer to see the sunshine.

Now we are back to dull and grey, and it feels welcomed, but not sure I will be saying the same thing if this sticks around for more than 3-4 days. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Even as a heat lover, I do and have found temps of 28c and above difficult to work in. 

Sitting in the park, by the river or by a pool(if you are rich enough to have one lol) where you can enjoy it is one thing, but when you need to walk around in a suit, or work in construction, a hot office, I can fully understand why people don’t enjoy the hot weather. 

That being said, I have enjoyed the long sunny days, and early morning clear sunny skies. Something we were lacking for a month before last week, down south. So while I accept, it’s extremely difficult in the heat, it’s much nicer to see the sunshine.

Now we are back to dull and grey, and it feels welcomed, but not sure I will be saying the same thing if this sticks around for more than 3-4 days. 

I work in a warehouse loading items onto a conveyor and sometime loose load from a trailer and they like a green house in the summer and when you trying to push yourself to get items loaded the heat is not welcome.

Im not a big fan when the heat is 25+ in blazing sunshine beating down on you.I would rather have broken cloud and a gentle breeze.I prefer to have clouds to look at than endless blue sky.

I dont mind dull and grey as long as its interesting to look at and we have a bit of sun.but like you say if this goes on for to long i soon get bored as i do like some sunshine.

Today is cool,cloudy and a moderate breeze.stay like this and we struggle to hit 20c i think.Needs a bit more interest up there.  :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

A very very poor autumnal summer month with endless Northern blocking is long overdue anyway. When was the last time we had one? 2012?? Nine years ago....Oh well ten months to go untill Summer begins, yippee cant wait.  

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I think you are misunderstanding what the index is about........

Yeah thats quite an impressive total already and we've got a full month left as well.

With that being said I'd be mighty curious to compare what the summer index would look like for somewhere in the SE. I'd guess the last week and early June will probably ensure its not stupidly low but it was very much the bread between the stale manky filling down here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

What happened to the washout weekend? 100 mm rain across the South? 

I'll have to water the plants at this rate! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

What happened to the washout weekend? 100 mm rain across the South? 

I'll have to water the plants at this rate! 

More woeful Meto warnings! They carry on issuing these pansy, limp warnings they risk a cry wolf situation and when something genuinely serious comes along no one will listen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

270c at 1pm in Newport county Mayo currently , the west of Ireland keeps producing the high temps and many weather stations are 6 -8  degrees celsius above average with close to or above 12hrs of sun a day since the 14th July.. Whoop Whoop..