Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
46 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes, I agree, I would love a summer of just continious low 20's and sun, with the odd storm chucked in to keep things interesting.

But if it's a choice between 30C and sunshine, and 15C and rain, I'll go with the 15C and rain. At least with the latter I can put my lightwight rain jacket on and be comfortable, and be comfortable indoors too, with the former, it's way too hot to do anything much indoors or outdoors and it's uncomfortable whatever you wear.

Hmmm. I can lie down on a beach or sit by a river when it's 30c. 

I can't do that if its raining and 15c. Its too wet and cold.

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes, I suppose it would. The wind storms in winter would be epic though.

I think the east coast has the best climate in the UK. The cold north sea stops it from getting too hot, and the hills to the west keeps alot of the thick cloud and rain at bay. Of course, it's not so great in the spring/early summer when the east coast tends to get plauged by thick fog and 13C, while the rest of the country enjoys 18-22C and sunshine.

They also get more storms and snow in winter months. 

Thunderstorms in summer, not winter storms lol.

Edited by Sunny76

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Hehe, a nice, mountainous landmass  to the west of the UK, perfect. Also, I’d fill in the Channel and most of the North Sea

I think if the channel wasn’t there we’d likely be speaking a different language now! 

Das ist gut ya? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes more more sensible temperatures today, currently 20.5C with 67% humdity, mostly sunny, a few white clouds, a gentle breeze from the east. What's not to like? ?️

Living room cooled off to 22.5C thanks to the easterly breeze, but still 25C in the bedroom.

Does feel better today but still hot.  I have a this critter below who drives me insane in heat, when it is as hot as this week he’s hyperactive and a nightmare.  He tripped me up a few weeks ago and I had a nasty fall, hitting my eye on the outdoor tap handle.  I really thought I had damaged my right eye - I was very lucky indeed.  Built a barricade to keep him off the patio but he has managed to plough over that today so I’m having to be mindful where he is, he’s already turned himself upside down twice today.  I also have a rescued mum and five 4-week old kittens coming into the pen tomorrow or Sunday so will be grateful for colder temperatures. 

Just disappointed too that the storms and rain signs have moved from this area as I needed rain for the garden.  I have a large garden to keep quenched and I’m the first port of call for neighbours asking me to water pots, tubs and hanging baskets when they go away on holiday.  Always grateful for rain every so often to help me out!

CE12665B-A244-426F-BBD8-9B913036B03D.jpeg

44333F87-9F9A-4B64-B639-F36613C377F8.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Garden temp now is only 17.9 °C  -1.9 °C/hr - very sad, Summer is over. Should I get my winter slippers out again now I wonder?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

IMG_0280.thumb.JPG.21ae5f72d25dcba0226e769459750ed1.JPG

My cats have certainly been trying to keep cool in the heat, stretched out, in the shade. 

Just seen an advert for a really small and cheap AC unit online, that can apparently cool down the indoor temp by up to 12C. Bit late now mind, heatwave pretty much over! If only I had seen that advert a week ago! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a difference a day makes, so so much better today for working in, that coupled with no prospect of the return of the heat makes this weekend useable, will be able to get out and do stuff! Very happy chappie!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

28 degrees and no let up here - yet. Two more mid hi twenties days forecast before a return to sensible (yawn) temperatures

A90E8D67-21A7-4C07-A3A7-1B6124C5CBB8.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

To say I am galled is an understatement, a full week of enduring temps at around 30c everyday here which has been hell... and not even a whiff of a thunderstorm , and non in the forecasts,    apart from the usual places (yawn) 

Central parts of NW England have had some of the hottest conditions in the UK in this spell ,  but the storms just stay away ,  apart from a short lived isolated storm over Manchester yesterday .  just not good enough ,   Today has been a little less hot ,  but Saturday now looks dry with temps still at 26c , so you can add on a degree or two to that    ,  Not the cooldown here as predicted , hopefully sunday sees the proper cooling setting in .   Sick as a pig of sweating  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long, snowy winters

Hi! This is my first post on these forums and I just wanna say hello to you all!

This last week hasn't been too bad here as I've seen it in other places, however last weekend was quite hot and it has still been very warm over the past week so I'm quite glad that low pressure is now taking over.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
44 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

IMG_0280.thumb.JPG.21ae5f72d25dcba0226e769459750ed1.JPG

My cats have certainly been trying to keep cool in the heat, stretched out, in the shade. 

Just seen an advert for a really small and cheap AC unit online, that can apparently cool down the indoor temp by up to 12C. Bit late now mind, heatwave pretty much over! If only I had seen that advert a week ago! 

Aww Very cute cat. Still miss my boy, he’s been gone 6 years now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
36 minutes ago, sayroiwx said:

Hi! This is my first post on these forums and I just wanna say hello to you all!

This last week hasn't been too bad here as I've seen it in other places, however last weekend was quite hot and it has still been very warm over the past week so I'm quite glad that low pressure is now taking over.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Hello and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here. 

Thank you!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

The East wind really has picked up now down here.  Loved this hot spell but glad the house is cooling down a bit now.  Here's hoping for some decent thunderstorms tomorrow or sunday.

This has been a proper old fashioned heatwave (highest temps not always focused on the SE) so therefore hopefully a few good old fashioned storms to cap it off

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 hour ago, markyo said:

What a difference a day makes, so so much better today for working in, that coupled with no prospect of the return of the heat makes this weekend useable, will be able to get out and do stuff! Very happy chappie!

Yes, as a gardener this week has been....a real challenge shall we say. Today has been better as slightly cooler with a nice breeze. Temps nudging 30 deg with high humidity just sap the energy from you when doing a physical job. Have next week off and its looks as so normal service will resume. Going away for a couple of days to somerset so although cooler temps not an issue would still be nice to see some sun in between the storms...?? (love watching storms as well btw)

Edited by minus10
  • Like 4

Posted

the latest met office forecast, has the thunderstorms and rain fizzling out as it reaches the middle midlands over the weekend?

A couple of days ago, it was for heavy rain over the whole region....this is worrying and we need rain again :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

These MetO heat warnings are a joke, it's not that hot! Current heatwave is nothing like 2018 or 2019 and positively cold compared to 2003 and 1976! It's pure boll*cks designed to get us all worried about Global Heating.  I really do give up

Edited by Penrith Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Penrith Snow said:

These MetO heat warnings are a joke, it's not that hot! Current heatwave is nothing like 2018 or 2019 and positively cold compared to 2003 and 1976! It's pure dog biscuits designed to get us all worried about Global Heating. abc I really do give up

I would dispute that. Whilst not as hot as some spells in recent years, I know that my own experience, and that of friends is that the current one has taken a much heavier toll. Whether it's the humidity or a lack of breeze I don't know, but this has not been a particularly pleasant spell.

• Like 6

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2021 249 (up to 22nd July)

Posted
7 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

These MetO heat warnings are a joke, it's not that hot! Current heatwave is nothing like 2018 or 2019 and positively cold compared to 2003 and 1976! It's pure boll*cks designed to get us all worried about Global Heating.  I really do give up

Depends on where you are, I'd say its probably been justified in N.Ireland given they have broken their records multiple times so clearly aren't used to this level of heat.

And of course had these warninfs existed they 100% would have been issued for the last few summers.

Looking forward and we are going to pay for the great week with probably 2-3 weeks of really quite poor weather again. Thats been the pattern for sure in the south of the country, though I know for the north its been a far better summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We have had to endure some of the hottest temps in the UK here , a full week of temps near to or above 30c,  yet the storms still wont come near ,they are  all in the south , or east , yet again ,  peeved ,   but happy for those storm lovers who got their fix  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Quite looking forward to September,/October you can have some really nice weather without the oppressive heat. 

• Like 4