Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
36 minutes ago, AnvilCrawlers said:

Yes them Plume events back in the day where awesome,me and freind used to call them the half niners and would seem to go on for hours.I also remember being able to hear storms come to you from the SW and this was also during the day. You could here the distant deep rumbles get closer and closer and lo and behold the storm was with you.Last decent Night time storm i remember here was around 2006 which started around oxford and got here around 10 ish i think and lasted a good couple of hours.just remember lightning being all around me.Oh what i would give to go back to those days.

I remember distant booming thunder, maybe at least from 15-20 miles away. I would take about half an hour before the storm arrived, then become much louder and you knew it was getting close.

Distant thunder booming during the night is quite eerie for some reason. I seem to associate it with ghosts and haunted houses lol.

We had a few distant rumbles last summer, but the storms were hit and miss. I still have faith, we might still get something before September.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
37 minutes ago, Frigid said:

A much cooler day. 21C at 1pm.  Can actually go out without sweating profusely

Yes more more sensible temperatures today, currently 20.5C with 67% humdity, mostly sunny, a few white clouds, a gentle breeze from the east. What's not to like? ?️

Living room cooled off to 22.5C thanks to the easterly breeze, but still 25C in the bedroom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Perfect Summer's day out there today, a light breeze, warm sunshine, a few clouds. Such a shame it is coming to an end. It was quite likely though, as it coincides again with my week off work. I'm going up to Derby next weekend for an outdoor event followed by a week off touring somewhere - well that was the plan. I won't book anything after next Sunday as the weather will probably have to dictate what direction we travel. Crap timing and can't cancel this one Bet the following week will be a scorcher

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I remember distant booming thunder, maybe at least from 15-20 miles away. I would take about half an hour before the storm arrived, then become much louder and you knew it was getting close.

Distant thunder booming during the night is quite eerie for some reason. I seem to associate it with ghosts and haunted houses lol.

We had a few distant rumbles last summer, but the storms were hit and miss. I still have faith, we might still get something before September.

Lets hope so,Lets hope tonight throws a surprise or 2.I do how ever think you got more chance than myself in this part of the midlands.

I think all them years ago storms seem more special as there was no internet and it was a nice surprise.

Posted
14 hours ago, h2005__uk__ said:

I don't understand why more people don't use portable A/C units. Obviously not everyone can afford them, given they cost around £230 new (plus they cost about 50p per night to run), but it's surely a worthwhile thing to save up for. Climate change will clearly make summers less bearable.

They do a great job in a small bedroom, where you can at least escape to for a while, and of course it makes sleeping bearable too. Even if it's only been in the low 20sC during the day, it still gets to the mid-20Cs upstairs in my house, so whacking the A/C on for a couple of hours reduces the temperature down to something more comfortable for sleeping. If it's been hotter outside then the house is warmer and I keep the A/C on all night.

I recently bought a new one bought also have a second-hand one (made in 1999) and my parents have one they bought in 1998. Both still work fine because they're obviously not used that much, so new ones bought now should, in theory, last for many years.

Probably because it's not worthwhile for most people, as most parts of the country only get around 10-15 hot days a year. As you say, with the current warming going on that will increase. Luckily I live in a detached bungalow so it never gets shroching hot, even when it's in the high 20's indoor temps never get above 26C.

1 hour ago, Ryukai said:

It's so nice now \o/ Temps around 22C lovely cool breeze coming through the window every couple mins, this is MY kind of summer weather. 

Yes, if we just had a summer where it was predominately dry and sunny most days with temps 18-23C by day and around 9-14C by night I wouldn't complain.

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Ok im sat on the balcony at work currently having some lunch, it’s completely sheltered from the strong wind so pretty hot out here. There’s 3 people with coats on - one has a bomber jacket on, all three are Asian but it’s just amazing how different we all are! 

Yeah, I've noticed that before, a lot of asian people just don't feel the heat as much and get cold more easily, probably becuase they've spent a lot of time in India/Pakistan, where temps can get into the 40's. At the other extreme I've seen plenty of teenagers just wearing shorts and a hoodie in the winter.

Posted

Well the heat lovers have been utterly spoilt for the last week, so they surely can't moan about a week or two of cloud, rain and cool temperatures now..  It's been glorious sunny, dry and baking hot for the last week, and a lot of people have enjoyed it... But this is the UK, not the mediterrean, and payback is just around the corner....

This weekend we say goodbye to high pressure, and say hello to our good old friend the Atlantic...  

Expect temperatures to be in the high teens/low twenties in most places, expect plenty of showers and longer spells of rain, heavy at times and expect moderate to fresh westerly winds, esspecially in coastal areas. ?️?️?️➡️

I can feel a song coming on.....

Lyrics:

"It's raining men, hallelujah, it's raining men,

amen I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get

Absolutely soaking wet

It's raining men, hallelujah It's raining men, every specimen

Tall, blonde, dark and lean

Rough and tough and strong and mean" 

For some reason this song always pops into my head when we go into an unsettled atlantic spell.

Also this one: 

Can just imagine driving down the motorway, in torrential rain, listening to this. ?️

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Lyrics to Holding out for a hero:

Up where the mountains meet the heavens above
Out where the lightning splits the sea
I could swear there is someone somewhere watching me
Through the wind and the chill and the rain
And the storm and the flood
I can feel his approach like a fire in my blood
(Like a fire in my blood, like a fire in my blood, like a fire in my blood, like a fire in my blood)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Normal service has resumed here in mid Norfolk, after 5 days of sun, after waiting weeks for it the dull gloomy sky’s have returned with a temperature of 19.9c…bizarre summer so far here . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
15 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well the heat lovers have been utterly spoilt for the last week, so they surely can't moan about a week or two of cloud, rain and cool temperatures now..  It's been glorious sunny, dry and baking hot for the last week, and a lot of people have enjoyed it... But this is the UK, not the mediterrean, and payback is just around the corner....

This weekend we say goodbye to high pressure, and say hello to our good old friend the Atlantic...  

Expect temperatures to be in the high teens/low twenties in most places, expect plenty of showers and longer spells of rain, heavy at times and expect moderate to fresh westerly winds, esspecially in coastal areas. ?️?️?️➡️

I can feel a song coming on.....

For some reason this song always pops into my head when we go into an unsettled atlantic spell.

Also this one: 

Can just imagine driving down the motorway, in torrential rain, listening to this. ?️

You guys have definitely had the best weather so far this summer 

Posted
3 minutes ago, slater said:

You guys have definitely had the best weather so far this summer 

It's been better up north though. Not baking hot apart from this week, but temps have almost consistently been 20-23C. It's been mostly dry as well.

Posted
39 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Probably because it's not worthwhile for most people, as most parts of the country only get around 10-15 hot days a year. As you say, with the current warming going on that will increase. Luckily I live in a detached bungalow so it never gets shroching hot, even when it's in the high 20's indoor temps never get above 26C.

Yes, if we just had a summer where it was predominately dry and sunny most days with temps 18-23C by day and around 9-14C by night I wouldn't complain.

Yeah, I've noticed that before, a lot of asian people just don't feel the heat as much and get cold more easily, probably becuase they've spent a lot of time in India/Pakistan, where temps can get into the 40's. At the other extreme I've seen plenty of teenagers just wearing shorts and a hoodie in the winter.

I have a co worker from Nigeria, who will turn his heater on in the loading bay, as soon as we drop back down to 21-23c. I can’t sit in his room, when he does that. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
24 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Obviously you’ve forgotten about the 4 weeks of gloomy, autumnal crap suffered by much of the south prior to these few days of heat. Would be nice to have 4 weeks of sunny weather to balance out the cloud, but it’s the UK. 
The Atlantic ain’t no friend of mine, luckily here it has a bit less influence (but still manages to extend its vile influence surprisingly often).

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It's been better up north though. Not baking hot apart from this week, but temps have almost consistently been 20-23C. It's been mostly dry as well.

I don’t mind those temps, but the south definitely needs more sunshine, and this past week has been a blessing. Granted, it’s been a tad too hot during the night, and my partner has been finding it difficult working in her client gardens, but we still remind ourselves how cold we both felt back in December to February, and also still freezing into May. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Obviously you’ve forgotten about the 4 weeks of gloomy, autumnal crap suffered by much of the south prior to these few days of heat. Would be nice to have 4 weeks of sunny weather to balance out the cloud, but it’s the UK. 
The Atlantic ain’t no friend of mine, luckily here it has a bit less influence (but still manages to extend its vile influence surprisingly often).

I wish someone could remove the Atlantic and place it somewhere away from the U.K.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I wish someone could remove the Atlantic and place it somewhere away from the U.K.

Hehe, a nice, mountainous landmass  to the west of the UK, perfect. Also, I’d fill in the Channel and most of the North Sea

Posted
50 minutes ago, AnvilCrawlers said:

Lets hope so,Lets hope tonight throws a surprise or 2.I do how ever think you got more chance than myself in this part of the midlands.

I think all them years ago storms seem more special as there was no internet and it was a nice surprise.

Yeah, maybe this weekend will produce something more extensive and eventful. It’s predicted to between now and Sunday.

I agree about pre internet, up until 2004, thunderstorms were more of a surprise when they did show up, even if you heard a weather forecast. Nobody was discussing storms in a weather forum in large numbers in the early 2000s. 

• Like 1

Posted

Hehe, a nice, mountainous landmass  to the west of the UK, perfect. Also, I’d fill in the Channel and most of the North Sea

I think our climate would be more interesting if we had a mountain range to the west of us. More extreme weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I think our climate would be more interesting if we had a mountain range to the west of us. More extreme weather. 

Absolutely! More continental so less Atlantic dross and more thunderstorms in summer and snow in winter - oh, I remember the word now...SEASONS

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Absolutely! More continental so less Atlantic dross and more thunderstorms in summer and snow in winter - oh, I remember the word now...SEASONS

Yeah, but we would still have people moaning about the heat lol. 

Im not looking forward to long periods of grey cloudy weather. I say that from a very warm control room. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I like to be comfortable though! 10-13C in winter and 19-22C in summer is perfect for me!  Yes, I'm boring, I know.. 

I'm not a fan of endless cloud and rain either, but I'd rather deal with that than 30C heat. 

Sometimes I actually wish the UK was a few hundred miles further west, so we would get less heatwaves from the continent.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, but we would still have people moaning about the heat lol. 

Im not looking forward to long periods of grey cloudy weather. I say that from a very warm control room. 

We would. I do get the moaning and sympathise if you can’t sleep, etc. But you have to do something about it, which many just don’t.

Yes, sunny and low to mid 20’s would be lovely and would suit most people, I’d have thought. Grey, boring skies, though? Not like the UK has a shortage of those!

Posted
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I like to be comfortable though! 10-13C in winter and 19-22C in summer is perfect for me!  Yes, I'm boring, I know.. 

I'm not a fan of endless cloud and rain either, but I'd rather deal with that than 30C heat. 

Sometimes I actually wish the UK was a few hundred miles further west, so we would get less heatwaves from the continent.

Fair enough, if you moved further west though you’d get even more cloud, wind and rain

Posted

We would. I do get the moaning and sympathise if you can’t sleep, etc. But you have to do something about it, which many just don’t.

Yes, sunny and low to mid 20’s would be lovely and would suit most people, I’d have thought. Grey, boring skies, though? Not like the UK has a shortage of those!

Yes, I agree, I would love a summer of just continious low 20's and sun, with the odd storm chucked in to keep things interesting.

But if it's a choice between 30C and sunshine, and 15C and rain, I'll go with the 15C and rain. At least with the latter I can put my lightwight rain jacket on and be comfortable, and be comfortable indoors too, with the former, it's way too hot to do anything much indoors or outdoors and it's uncomfortable whatever you wear.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Fair enough, if you moved further west though you’d get even more cloud, wind and rain

Yes, I suppose it would. The wind storms in winter would be epic though.

I think the east coast has the best climate in the UK. The cold north sea stops it from getting too hot, and the hills to the west keeps alot of the thick cloud and rain at bay. Of course, it's not so great in the spring/early summer when the east coast tends to get plauged by thick fog and 13C, while the rest of the country enjoys 18-22C and sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes more more sensible temperatures today, currently 20.5C with 67% humdity, mostly sunny, a few white clouds, a gentle breeze from the east. What's not to like? ?️

Living room cooled off to 22.5C thanks to the easterly breeze, but still 25C in the bedroom.

It was 28C downstairs and 34C upstairs on Weds and that was only from a temp of 27C outside. It's regularly 5 - 10 degrees hotter in my bedroom than it is outside so anything above 20C starts to become uncomfortable for sleeping. Having 10 foot windows really doesn't help for keeping a consistent temperature...

• Like 1