Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
57 minutes ago, IanR said:

still 26c outside here at 22.30,  no breeze and the bedroom is like a sauna . wigan is currently one of the warmest spots in the uk , even london is only 22c , what the hell is going on ?   the temps are very reluctant to fall ,  god this getting tedious ,  another night where sleep will be hard to come by ,  hate this now   

16c here in Hampshire! Dropped like a stone compared to of late! Definately felt cooler today!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
47 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

I'm glad the heatwave is coming to an end this weekend, i've had enough of it myself, the fan is costing too much money to run and i could do with something fresh for a few days but i really dont want a 2012 style crapfest to finish off summer,   Also too many children drowning in lakes from jumping in to cool off. 

I agree. I do get fed up of rain at times as does anybody, but on this occasion it is very much welcome. It's a nice way to cool down after a hot spell, particularly one so oppressive.

• Like 3

Posted

I don't understand why more people don't use portable A/C units. Obviously not everyone can afford them, given they cost around £230 new (plus they cost about 50p per night to run), but it's surely a worthwhile thing to save up for. Climate change will clearly make summers less bearable.

They do a great job in a small bedroom, where you can at least escape to for a while, and of course it makes sleeping bearable too. Even if it's only been in the low 20sC during the day, it still gets to the mid-20Cs upstairs in my house, so whacking the A/C on for a couple of hours reduces the temperature down to something more comfortable for sleeping. If it's been hotter outside then the house is warmer and I keep the A/C on all night.

I recently bought a new one bought also have a second-hand one (made in 1999) and my parents have one they bought in 1998. Both still work fine because they're obviously not used that much, so new ones bought now should, in theory, last for many years.

• Like 3

I some will welcome a change to cooler conditions but Im really dreading some of the output out there, deep low pressure anchored over the UK, cloud and temps in the high teens in a weeks time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
21 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

A warning, really. On Tuesday I had a bit of a heat-health related incident. I'd had a fun birthday weekend at the beach and outdoors generally , and although I don't drink alcohol, sat in the shade and drank lots of squash, I still managed to get dehydrated. On Tuesday, I had loads of laundry to do. My flat is tiny and had no outdoor space  and on a heat island surrounded by concrete and a 3 lane A road, and when it gets hot, it stays hot. I had a small tumble dryer on, my dehumidifier broke (flat has a humidity problem) and my darn neighbours were smoking below my window all day, meaning I had to shut it. As a result, I was doing hours lots of housework in 31.c indoors and with humidity of 78 and already dehydrated. I started overheating and shaking and suddenly felt really weak and dizzy. My boyfriend rushed home form work and drove me around in the car for half an hour with the air con on and I had a bottle of cold water. Gradually, I started to feel better but it was really frightening. I grew up partly in Saudi Arabia so have always been a bit complacent about heat.  Don't be. I've always maintained that heat is harder to bear for people who live in flats and with climate change, this is only going to get worse. 

Hi T/S,

I hope you've recovered from your bout of heat exhaustion. A very apt warning of yours indeed.

Although I'm half Italian, from my Mother, pictured in my Avatar photo, I've never been especially tolerant of heat, especially after suffering a Brain Haemorrhage, back in September 2015. The stroke has really affected my stamina levels, which is worsened by Summer heat.

Like yourself, my Wife and I live in a property with tiny rooms, and low ceilings. I've never lived in such a badly designed House, in terms of comfort. Our Bedroom lies directly above our Kitchen, meaning that any use of our Cooker, results in heat rising up to the top level, of our House.

This part of S.E. London, is also like a "concrete jungle." The high temperatures of consecutive Days, just causes the the heat in the property to accumulate. Even though we have to have 3 fans on full blast in our tiny Bedroom, it just feels you are having a very warm hairdryer, being wafted over your body.

Back in the heatwave conditions in the Summer of 2018, I learnt a very salient lesson. That being, that you don't even have to venture out, to experience, heat exhaustion.

During that spell, I suddenly found that both my ankles had swollen to twice their normal size. My Wife fearing that my blood pressure was going through the roof, and would cause me to have another Stroke, took me immediately to the Urgent Care department of our local Sidcup Hospital.

After a short wait, I was seen by a Doctor. He checked my blood pressure, which fortunately was normal, and examined my unsightly swollen ankles, the skin in that area of my feet had overlapped over my shoes, and you could visibly see fluid "sloshing" about under the skin.

The Doctor said it was a classic case of heat exhaustion. He told me to make sure I drink plenty and to keep our property well ventilated, and keep my feet raised, above the level of the rest of my body, and my ankles would soon return to their normal size. That soon turned out to be the case. I did remark to the Doctor, that I hadn't even been outdoors, in the fierce temperatures but he said that living in such a poorly ventilated property, direct exposure to the sun, wasn't necessary for this type of heat exhaustion.

During this current spell of high temperatures, I've made sure that our property has been well ventilated and use of our Cooker, has been kept to a bare minimum. We've had a variety of Salads with cold meats, over the past Week.

I'm typing this with our Patio doors wide open. I was pleasantly surprised that last night, felt much more comfortable for sleeping. It seems that the anticipated freshening of the air, especially in the East of our Region, has arrived a little earlier than expected. I never thought I could be excited about the prospect of witnessing the trees in our garden, being disturbed by the Easterly breeze that has sprung up, this Morning.

Even though I'm Brontophobic by nature, I realise that I may have to experience some T/Storms/Thundery Rain, for the transition to a much cooler regime of temperature, to be completed.

I fully understand that in some quarters, the loss of heat and humidity won't be everyone's "cup of tea".

But as the old adage states. "One Man's meat, is another Man's poison>"

Regards,

Tom. 

• Like 1

Posted

On Wednesday we had slightly more sea breeze influence than the Met Office forecast went for so we didn't get the 30C forecast here but saw 28.9C (inland did see 30/31C)

Yesterday in contrast was forecast  to reach 23C, but we had 26.4C, it's more normal for us to be 1-2C higher than the forecast anyway.

Lovely spell though if a bit uncomfortable at times, yesterday was nice with 26C and a bit of a breeze blowing through the house so I wasn't getting sweaty when sitting indoors.

Sea temps have responded well:

image.thumb.png.ce970fe1bf8b873e8c36768479d40372.pngimage.thumb.png.0d3605d7b8b184e7ac20acb640b70076.png

This presumably helped the minima of near 20C in places like Western Cornwall, and DPs of 20-21C the other day. Cambourne also reached 28.3C yesterday even down there.

Often a similar pattern to SST's develops during warm spells, I assume related to tidal mixing.

Local SST's off Dawlish have been rising to 22C or just above on recent days and now staying mostly around 21C overnight despite more of a breeze and waves building now.
image.thumb.png.4fd2dd8357e9b542cabf4892f9c0af8d.png

A reading of 22.5C the other day appears to be the highest in the record back to 2010.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted

Hmmm. Met office app now showing an almost dry weekend for Dudley now. Not especially warm but a lot better than it looked last night. A dry afternoon tomorrow would be good as its pub time for South Africa v The Lions at 5pm. Cant wait!

Posted

It's so nice now \o/ Temps around 22C lovely cool breeze coming through the window every couple mins, this is MY kind of summer weather. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Much cooler than forecast here with low cloud from the North Sea and drizzle starting up. And, I LOVE IT. My energy is back and it's so refreshing. Hope the sun never comes out.

• Like 1

Posted

This song seems so appropriate for the return of potentially dull dreary weather.

This was filmed in the cold dull May of 1984, up in the Isle of Skye.

Think I might take a break up there at some point.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

That strengthening easterly wind is doing a good job at clearing out the indoor heat  

Next up.. 3 days of thunderstorm warnings. So, i'll be expecting heavy rain. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

That strengthening easterly wind is doing a good job at clearing out the indoor heat  

Next up.. 3 days of thunderstorm warnings. So, i'll be expecting heavy rain. 

Are we going to get them though?

If this were 2017, or 18, we would almost guaranteed a thunderstorm, usually a late evening/overnight one. But, these past two years it just hasn't happened.

• Like 2

Ok im sat on the balcony at work currently having some lunch, it’s completely sheltered from the strong wind so pretty hot out here. There’s 3 people with coats on - one has a bomber jacket on, all three are Asian but it’s just amazing how different we all are! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

A tad cooler today than of late (mid 20s) but the muginess is very much still there (albeit starting to clear thanks to the lovely breeze); it should really begin to feel better from tomorrow. I have a lot of sympathy for all the athletes who are at the Olympics. Japan is ridiculously muggy during the summer, even worse than over here.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective

Glad there a lovely breeze out there today and was cloudy early on to make a pleasant walk.cloud has almost all gone but still got lovely breeze to help cool down the house.Sadly this heat will go out with a whimper.No sign of any storms here and what ever rain forecast has now almost all gone,infact very little now and need it for the garden.Bay of biscay used to give us nice storms here at one point but sadly no more or if it does it so very rare now a days.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Ok im sat on the balcony at work currently having some lunch, it’s completely sheltered from the strong wind so pretty hot out here. There’s 3 people with coats on - one has a bomber jacket on, all three are Asian but it’s just amazing how different we all are! 

Actually, even when its hot, around 27-30c, a strong coastal breeze can still feel chilly. Not freezing cold, but definitely chilly.

It happened to me and my partner, when we headed to Eastbourne In July 2018, and despite the hot summer, and the day itself was roasting in london, we still felt a stiff wind on the beach.

I remember it was during the match when Spain were knocked out by Russia in a penalty shoot out at the Russia world cup.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ndc Ozzie said:

Glad there a lovely breeze out there today and was cloudy early on to make a pleasant walk.cloud has almost all gone but still got lovely breeze to help cool down the house.Sadly this heat will go out with a whimper.No sign of any storms here and what ever rain forecast has now almost all gone,infact very little now and need it for the garden.Bay of biscay used to give us nice storms here at one point but sadly no more or if it does it so very rare now a days.

Yes, I remember those plume events, where after 3-4 days, or a week or so of hot conditions around 26-30c mark, you would be guaranteed a massive storm.

Thunderstorm events I remember and wish we would get again are :

Friday 24th June 1994, late evening thunderstorm and with distant lightning appearing around 8-9pm. The storm went on until well after 10pm, and triggered an asthma attack for some people in the London region.

Late August 1987, on a friday evening, with another storm during the night. It was hot all week, and london hit 30c on the friday. Overall a poor summer, but that week was quite hot.

May/June/July 1999. Quite a few nighttime storms during this period.

2005, late June during a weekday I think? I do remember a nasty late evening storm. Anyone remember this?

Summers of 2013 and 14. Broke the thunderstorm drought between 2007-12, and we had a few overnight storms during 13.

2017, one overnight storm in mid July, 2016 also provided an overnight storm in June, and also September.

More recently, May 2018 on a saturday night. Torrential rain and thunderstorms.

Since then its been pretty poor in the London region for widespread storms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, high teens to low 20's,sunny and convective
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, I remember those plume events, where after 3-4 days, or a week or so of hot conditions around 26-30c mark, you would be guaranteed a massive storm.

Thunderstorm events I remember and wish we would get again are :

Friday 24th June 1994, late evening thunderstorm and with distant lightning appearing around 8-9pm. The storm went on until well after 10pm, and triggered an asthma attack for some people in the London region.

Late August 1987, on a friday evening, with another storm during the night. It was hot all week, and london hit 30c on the friday. Overall a poor summer, but that week was quite hot.

May/June/July 1999. Quite a few nighttime storms during this period.

2005, late June during a weekday I think? I do remember a nasty late evening storm. Anyone remember this?

Summers of 2013 and 14. Broke the thunderstorm drought between 2007-12, and we had a few overnight storms during 13.

2017, one overnight storm in mid July, 2016 also provided an overnight storm in June, and also September.

More recently, May 2018 on a saturday night. Torrential rain and thunderstorms.

Since then its been pretty poor in the London region for widespread storms.

Yes them Plume events back in the day where awesome,me and freind used to call them the half niners and would seem to go on for hours.I also remember being able to hear storms come to you from the SW and this was also during the day. You could here the distant deep rumbles get closer and closer and lo and behold the storm was with you.Last decent Night time storm i remember here was around 2006 which started around oxford and got here around 10 ish i think and lasted a good couple of hours.just remember lightning being all around me.Oh what i would give to go back to those days.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Cloud here and 18C. Low storm potential though sadly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Yet another cracker here @uxbridge..26c gentle breeze/sunny